byrnejanice, Renter in New York, NY

Hi, I've been given this address from Choice Home (choicehomeapartment@gmail.com) in terms of renting a studio apartment this coming March and summer.

Asked by byrnejanice, New York, NY Thu Jan 17, 2013

I'm now concerned that it's a scam and the studio doesn't exist as I was sent pictures and this exact address. Could you shed any light on the matter before I send a deposit? I'd really appreciate it.

Best Wishes,

Janice Byrne

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/3097800203-240-W-98th-St-34C-…

Answers

9
I have never heard of choicehomeapartment. The link to 240W 94th St is a 5 bedroom. It is listed for both rent and sale by a legitimate NY broker and REBNY (Real Estate Board of New York ) member.

Never send money before seeing the apartment. There are many scams out there. A common Craigslist scam is the con artist tries to get deposit money from someone for an apartment that doesn't exist or is not for rent. You will not find a legitimate Manhattan apartment from an anonymous websites or ad.

NY state law requires all brokers and agents to have their name, license title address and phone number displayed prominently on all advertising and marketing.

Contact a real agent at a real brokerage. Good luck!
Your welcome. If you need a place for March you probably should plan a trip here if you're from out of town February. Streeteast.com and citi-habitats.com are good websites with rental listings. Here is a link to an article I wrote. I hope it helps.
http://nycblogestate.com/2011/09/renting-apartment-in-manhattan-nyc.html
Flag Fri Jan 18, 2013
Thank You, I really appreciate your information and help.
Flag Thu Jan 17, 2013
Mitchell Hall, Real Estate Pro in New York, NY
Hi Janice,

I'm glad you wrote in - I am appalled when I see scams targeting individuals who are simply trying find a home! The link that is associated with your question is not of a studio apt. But if you are asked to send money or provide a deposit - chances are on the likelihood side that it is indeed a scam!

Scam Indicators:
You are asked for a deposit upfront (particularly if you are out of state) or before viewing property..
The pictures and price for the apartment for the area it's located in - look to good to be true!
The owner says that you can only see the outside because they are away or living somewhere else.
They will mail you the keys.

Janice, I would never recommend sending a deposit without the assistance of a licensed real estate agent negotiating on your behalf! If you need that type of assistance, an agent is certainly able to help you in securing an apt before you relocate. And remember - that for any negotiations to be valid, they must be in writing and always get a receipt (but try never to pay in cash if possible.)

Good Luck and All the Best,
Jaymes
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 17, 2013
I love how all the Brokers I mean "Agents" are trying to solicit business from you.. You ask for help and everyone is throwing you their business card... That's the only thing I find funny about all of this..
Why not simply work with any licensed agent of your own; since you are concerned about scams, see link for helpful information...http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2009/05/rentalscam.shtm
Please call me for assistance. My name isTanuja and I can be reached at 347-882-0353.
Janice,
I would suggest you use an agent from a reputable company. There will be a fee, but you will not be scammed. There are many scams out there in the rental market.
Well the link sure does not take u to a studio..., lol!!

Depending on what ur budget is I might be able to help u or help u to find someone who can..
My website is http://www.levelgroup.com/rob
My e-mail rob@levelgroup.com
This apartment is for sale.

We have a studio at 305 East 95th Street for $1675. Please email me at inna at coutinhoproperties com for more details.

Inna
Have you seen the apartment yet? Also how much are they asking for a deposit? You call me at 646 393 4380 if you would like and I could answer all your questions.

Paul McComb