Property Q&A in Woodstock>Question Details

Myeongseob K…, Home Buyer in Ellicott City, MD

Hi, I have a question about NVHome in ellicott square. Yesterday I went there and asked several questions about their hownhome. The sale person

Asked by Myeongseob Kim, Ellicott City, MD Sun Oct 18, 2009

there asked me if I hired buyer's agent and I said No. He said he can discount for my options on home if I don't have agent.
Also he mentioned he will not pay for my agent if I hire one later because I walked in. Is that fair?
Is it OK for me to hire my agent If I don't want their discount for not hiring buyer agent? Is my agent supposed to be paid his/her commission? I am not comfortable with dealing with them without my agent. Thank you for your answer.

Answers

3
My advice would be to sign a buyer agency agreement with your agent and go back in with the agent and tell NV not only will they pay your agent, but also offer you the discount they offered. Let them know there are plenty of other homes and new construction choices. In addition, let them know the real estate community doesn't like to hear that builders do not want to encourage buyers to have representation.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 19, 2009

When you walk into a new home community the sales person will ask you to fill out a registration form. If you filled out a form the new home community is not responsible to pay a real estate agent. Only when an agent brings you to the community your first time they are supposed to register you and this acknowledges that you are working with an agent. You can always hire a buyers agent and work something out if you really want to purchase the NV home. If you are not familiar with real estate transactions (buying and selling) this will definitely be worth it. Your agent can pull up comparables in the area and compare their prices against other builders. It always helps to have an agent working with you to explain the process. A lot of home builders are reducing their prices and some will even consider reasonable offers. Feel free to go to my website and learn more about home buying. Any other questions call me in the am or email me. Good Luck.

Tammy Durbin, e-PRO, GRI
Long and Foster Real Estate Inc.
301-829-8772
240-405-3118
email: tammyd@longandfoster.com
Web Reference: http://tammydurbin.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 18, 2009
Hello Myeongseob,

Welcome to new construction! Typically a buyer must be accompanied by or show proof that they are working with an agent on the first visit to a new construction home sales center. If you have an agent, I am dissapointed that he/she did not educate you on the procedures of how to handle your excitement to visit open houses or new home sales centers, remember all these folks want your business so it's ideal that you have your agents business card on you at all times.

Now that I have established those ground rules on to the next point. If you do not have an agent then get one and ask them to call the sales center on your behalf and kindly explain that you are working with them and would like to know what kind of incentives they have and I am sure he/she will make sure they are going to get paid as well. There is no harm in asking and if you want representation don't let anyone tell you different!

Zach Hosford
Long and Foster Real Estate
zach@longandfoster.com
443 935 6470