Property Q&A in Chicago>Question Details

 Tupper, Real Estate Pro in Chicago, IL

Help me with this issue with the Water Dept in Chicago? I still don't have a Full Payment Cert for a property I closed on nearly 4 months ago!

Asked by Tupper, Chicago, IL Mon Dec 12, 2011

The property is a 3 flat that I bought as an investment. There was a delay in getting the water meter read due to some technical issue, now the water dept is not giving me a bill (it goes to the previous owner who cannot be reached and may have even left town). I can't get a Full Payment Cert without a water bill! Seller's attorney is trying, half-heartedly, as well, but we are frustrated with this department. Title company is keeping some money in escrow until this is resolved, and the County won't record the transfer of deed either. I'm growing frustrated--how do you deal with this department? Is there somebody here who knows anybody in the department, or perhaps knows how this all works? Thanks

Help the community by answering this question:


Did you use an attorney at your closing? As suggested go visit the water department with all of your closing docs or get a hold of a real estate attorney who can assist you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 13, 2011
Did you hire an attorney to represent you at the closing? I would contact your attorney to look into this matter.
If you did not hire an attorney I would go personally go down to the water department and request to speak to a supervisor. Debbie Bergthold-Smith Classic Real Estate
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 12, 2011
How were you even able to close without a water cert?

I suggest you call Don Kiolbassa at 312 782 9035. He's a good lawyer with reasonable rates.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 12, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer