Property Q&A in Greenwich>Question Details

Maria Gaande…, Real Estate Pro in Greenwich, CT

Greenwich CT area, is Radon test really necessary?

Asked by Maria Gaanderse, Greenwich, CT Sun Oct 23, 2011

Answers

5
It is always in the buyer's best interest to have a radon test (which range in cost from $30 - $150 for the continuous computer monitoring test) performed during the inspection period as this gives the buyer the opportunity to negotiate a radon mitigation system into the deal if one is warranted. The cost of these mitigation systems varies according the footprint of the home and square footage. A 2000 sqft home might require a $1,200 system while a 6000 sqft home might need a $3,000 system. Once a radon test has been performed and the results reflecting a figure above normal, the homeowner is supposed to ammend their property disclosure forms to reflect that a test has been done and those results. Since a home owner is therefore put in a compromising position with this disclosure, they nearly always pick up the tab to remediate the defect and make the issue go away.
Radon is a quirky gas, I have had many surprises at various properties, for instance the highest reading I have thus far encountered was in a beach area, which was a shock as we typically associate the gas with bedrock/ledge areas. Also if a high radon reading is found in the air, and the home has a well, you should also then have the water tested, so in regard to Greenwich this would pretty much apply to back country properties.

I hope this helps.
Lisa Jones, Realtor, GREEN, CIPS
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 23, 2011
All answers below good advice and see if you can negotiate seller to remediate. Once a test has confirmed Radon presence, it must be disclosed to all other prospective buyers. Remediation is usually fairly simple and recent costs I have encountered were between 1200-1500. You have to spend hours in LL area from what I have read to have extreme effects, but the buyer, if ignores, could have problem with resale down the road.
So much has to do with location and ventilation. Cost I have encountered is around 125.00 for buyer.
Web Reference: http://candylipirahomes.com
Hello Marialente,
I always suggest to my buyers to perform a radon test due to the large amount of ledge rock in the area which emits radon gas. Any home with a basement or living area below the grade should definitely have a test performed.

Most inspection companies charge about $100 for it.

I believe that it is our responsibility as real estate agents to well inform our clients about the dangers of radon gas and encourage them to take the necessary steps to determine if the property is safe from it or if a remediation system is needed.

Just another means of showing our clients that we are working in their best interests.

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
I suggest getting a radon test done.
You can read info for yourself at:
The US EPA estimates that as many as 20,000 lung cancer deaths are caused each year by radon. Radon is a radioactive gas that you cannot see, smell or taste. AIR CHEK, Inc. Indicates that 30% of Fairfield County homes test over 4 pCi/l which is considered a level that should be remediated.
As a Buyer Agent I always recommend that my buyer review the specifics of a home with their home inspector in order to make the best decision.