Property Q&A in Jersey City>Question Details

hinamastehel…, Home Owner in Jersey City, NJ

Green card and CO for multi family home in Jersey city.

Asked by hinamastehello, Jersey City, NJ Mon Dec 31, 2012

I recently purchased multi-family home (3 family) in Jersey City, NJ. I got temp green card from state of NJ. I have not been able to get any answer from Jersey city office about CO. Do I even need CO from the city? Isn't it redundnt to state inspection?

Answers

2
I know this is from December, however, if you have not yet found out Jersey City only requires a CO for a number of specific reasons. If you purchased this 3-family and no changes have been made to the structure and if it's not new construction, you did not buy it from the City and you have not changed it's use then you should not require a CO. However, you should have received a Smoke Certificate at Closing, correct?

I hope you have already found your answer, but if not I hope this helps.

Have a GREAT day!

Emil

Emil Veltre, RPh, MS, CDPE
Realtor Associate
Liberty Realty

Mobile: 973.868.4034
Email: emilveltre@aol.com
Website: http://www.EmilVeltre.com
I would expect that before you were able to purchase the property, that all JC inspections had taken place whether for a CO (unlikely) or a Smoke/Fire/CO2 inspection (likely). Check with your attorney. The Seller's agent should have ensured that all such requirements were met and the attorney would not have closed without it.
thanks for your reply. it was foreclosure, so CO/green card were my resposiblity. I just can't seem to get a clear answer from Jersey city housing dept. Their phones are not working since hurricane sandy. I made a trip there in a person, but the person who does CO was not in office and they did not know the answer. I just want to save an another trip. I called another office for smoke certificate, and they said I don't need it from the city since state issues green card on multifamily home.
Flag Mon Dec 31, 2012