Property Q&A in Santa Rosa>Question Details

judyrust, Other/Just Looking in Santa Rosa, CA

Does this property have water or well?

Asked by judyrust, Santa Rosa, CA Mon Oct 8, 2012

--
This question is about this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/3085857389-3627-Fulton-Rd-San…

Answers

4
Judy,

Not to complicate a simple question but your question triggers a few other questions. The key for you is to pick a representative who can help you to answer the question and the layers of other questions that come into play when buying raw land. Ideally your representative should be very comfortable with rural property and raw land. Buying land is still a real estate transaction but very different from buying a home. The agent you choose should have separate qualifications and experience.

For starters what is your intended use for the property? Your intended use is going to determine how much water you might use on the parcel and therefore what type of infrastructure you may want to build. The cost of drilling a well could be as little as five thousand and as much as twenty depending on how deep you drill and how much water you want (among other variables). Weeks Wells and Knutty and Jensen (both in Sebastopol) are great resource for all things water related.

The land is zoned LIA which is land intensive agriculture. The land use you choose that is permitted under that zoning designation will not only determine how much water you need in general but also how much might be needed at any given time. Do you intend to plant a hobby vineyard? Do you want a pool? Do you intend to build a house and if so how many bedrooms? Perhaps you may want to install a surface mounted water tank so that the usage is not limited by how fast the new well can pump water from underground?

The layout of possible improvements, vineyards and buildings will also impact where you put the well. Having power to the parcel can also effect where you drill since you will be tasked with running electricity to your well head. Is that power being run underground or overhead? Etc. Etc. Etc.

Most of these questions can be easily and methodically answered during an escrow. While the cost to answer these questions would be the buyers to absorb it is very likely that many of these questions could be answered before you make a final decision to purchase and before any money is at risk (other then inspections, consultants, etc.) A keen agent, and possibly a land use company or permit specialist might be employed. A few field trips down to the county are also important to ask crucial questions at PRMD (permit resource management department).

Other variables that can impact your cost for a well is if the subterranean water is contaminated with common by-products of agriculture such as colioform. That might trigger the need for additional infrastructure such as a UV water sanitation device (those can be thousands of dollars).

I could type all day but my response was really only two fold a) to answer your question and to highlight companion questions that will come up b) to demonstrate that I can assist you in navigating the underlying issues.

My cell is 707-292-8400.

Yarrow Kubrin, Realtor
Keller Williams Realty International, Santa Rosa West
Certified Luxury Home Marketing Specialist (CLHMS), Million Dollar Guild
Institute for Luxury Homes Marketing Member
Office phone: 707-206-4500
Mobile: 707-292-8400
Fax: 707-206-4600
Email: yarrow@yarrowkubrin.com
Website: http://www.yarrowkubrin.com
Website: http://www.yarrowkubrinluxury.com
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/yarrow-kubrin/6/159/72a
https://www.facebook.com/yarrowbayarearealestate
Excellent points Yarrow--and this property is in a flat Santa Rosa plain location, so like many such areas of Sonoma County will most likely require a wet weather groundwater test to determine septic potential. That is only allowed during specific timeframes depending on cumulative rainfall in any given year, usually late spring. Some years there are no windows for wet weather ground water testing, so this would be one of the key issues to determine suitability for construction on any such rural parcel.
Flag Tue Oct 9, 2012
Hello Judy,

Thank you for contacting me through Trulia.com., It is one of the real estate sites I'm proud to partner with

The property at 3627 Fulton Rd in Santa Rosa shows utilities as:
1. electricity at the pole
2. gas in the street
3. water source unknown.

This parcel is near to the Vintner's Inn and John Ash restaurant and the Kendall Jackson Visitor Center, so I imagine water is accessible.

If you are interested in development opportunities here in Sonoma County, my partner and I consult with investor-clients. We would be happy to provide you with any property analysis you need.

Trent

Trent Taylor
HOLMES & TAYLOR
Moving You Forward
KELLER WILLIAMS Realty
Tammy:707.481,1459
Trent: 707.696.,2628
info@HolmesAndTaylor.com
HolmesAndTaylor.com
DRE: 01311832 01514460

Let the Power of Two work for you!
Per the MLS(Multiple listing service) There is currently no water on site. You would have to drill your own well on site.

If you have more questions feel free to contact me directly at:

707-331-8822

Mike
Hi there--I looked it up on MLS and there is no well nor are there any reports on perc tests for septic. It is an area where there is plenty of water on surrounding parcels.
There is a link below to several blog posts I did about water, well testing and evaluating country property, FYI.