Property Q&A in Seattle>Question Details

chinharit, Home Buyer in Seattle, WA

Does it possible for foreigner to buy house in us?

Asked by chinharit, Seattle, WA Tue Mar 20, 2012

If Yes, to that, which is the most property I should buy between House and condo? Is there limited the minimum to buy in term of price of the house or condo?

Answers

9
As a real estate broker & a loan officer who has worked with several foreign buyers in the last several years, I want to tell you that, house, you will probably want to buy a house. There are only a couple of lenders around here that will give you a loan however. You will need around 50% down & there aare minimum limits to the loan amount. Last I checked it was $100,000 for the minimum loan. But, this could change any time. I would be happy to discuss options with you and get you approved for a loan &b then help you find something if you like. Give me a call at 206-841-9976 any time.

Thanks, Jirius Isaac
You will want to line up your financing first if you are a foreign national. If you are paying cash not many issues, but if you want financing, there are few lenders who specialize in it and there are restrictions. To find out more, feel free to contact me through this response.
Hello, I work for Wells Fargo - Private Mortgage Banking. If you reside in the US and earn money in the US you may purchase a home of any size. If you are a foreigner, don't reside in the US but earn money in the US you may purchase a home but will be limited to conforming loan limits. You may contact me at jesse.morgan@wellsfargo.com for more details.
Yes, you absolutely can purchase a home in the US. I have had the privilege of helping people do that over the years. There is even a provision for that in the Purchase Contract. I agree with Debra that a single family residence would be better for you than a condo situation in the event that you want to rent it now or in the future because of the rental caps in most condominiums. I think the best starting point is an experienced and caring lender who can walk you step by step through the necessary paperwork. I would be happy to refer you to two great lenders if you like. I wish you the best.

Shari Laverty
Yes. You will need to know how the Foreign Investment in Real Property Tax Act of 1980, also known as FIRPTA, will apply to you and will probably want to consult a real estate attorney to make sure everything is done correctly, but you certainly can purchase a home.

There is no minimum purchase to my knowledge.

As for whether a condo or a home is best for you, that depends entirely upon your personal needs. There are upsides and downsides to both. If a condo, the entire project needs to be FHA approved if you are using a low-down-payment FHA loan. However, it is a good idea to make sure it is FHA approved even if you are paying cash, as it makes it easier to sell when that time comes. FHA reapproval is required every 2 years, so being active in the homeowners association and making sure it continues to meet the requirements is a good plan in a condo. A house requires that you do the maintenance yourself, while all the exterior maintenance in a condo is done for you and paid for with your monthly HOA fees, or sometimes the dreaded special assessmnet.

There are lots of other considerations, but your agent should educate you.
Yes, a foreign-born person can purchase a home or investment property in the United States. I have previously sold homes to foreign nationals with legal resident status, and I have sold investment property to foreigners living outside of the United States. You may want to investigate your obligation to pay property taxes with the county in which you wish to purchase. Any escrow company can explain the documents and forms you will need to sign at the time of purchase. Good luck!
Yes, you can buy a home or condo in the US. If you want a condo/townhouse type home make sure there isn't a Rental Cap (the number of rentals allowed in the complex). A home or zero lot line townhouse would work for rentals. If you are buying for investment only, you should know the employment of the area so you don't have long vacancies.

If you are getting a loan from the bank to purchase, it is a little more complicated than an all cash purchase.

Debra and David Hamilton
ZipRealty, Inc.
debra.hamilton@ziprealty.com
Toll Free: 1.800 CALL ZIP x4323
Cell: 425.890.7932
http://www.ziprealty.com/agent/dehamilton
Find us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hamilton-Real-Estate-Group/20…
I agree, a home has much better straight in adjusting markets to hold it's value.

So best to you in your finding a good agent to help you find the right property for you.

HLR
Yes foreigners can buy real estate in the US. A house is a much better investment. I would be.glad to discuss the.specifics with you
Daniel Smith
206-550-1131
Daniel.smith@kw.com