Mike N, Home Owner in Staten Island, NY

Do I need a C of O to sell a home in NYC. I've own the home for more than 20 years and do not have one. What is the first step, hiring an?

Asked by Mike N, Staten Island, NY Sat Feb 26, 2011

architect?

Answers

5
Dear mike N

I suggest you contact the building department, and asked for the C/O department they will be able to help you.
Also, You should interview some Real Estate agent to assist you in selling your house.

Regards
Beatrice Karbowski
Gillani Homes
917-887-9164
For an accurate answer as it applies to your situation do check with the department of buildings--see link below--if you do need c/o's consider hiring an expediter. http://www.nyc.gov/html/dob/html/forms/forms_appointment.shtml
Hello Mike, If a building was constructed before 1938 and there has been no change in use or additions to the property, it may not have a Certificate of Occupancy. If you require proof of the legal use of a building that does not have a Certificate of Occupancy, you must obtain a "Letter of No Objection" from the Department of Buildings' borough office where the property is located.
Web Reference: http://www.clovelake.com
Mike

It depends on what year your home was built. Some homes in Staten Island were built prior to the city issuing C of O's. If you did need to obtain one depending on the work outstanding in the dept. of buildings, you may need an architect or just an expeditor to file the paperwork. If you you would like me to research it for you all I need is an address and I can point you inthe right direction.

Good Luck

Charles Martino
Martino Realty
718-608-9400
Hello Mike,
A C of O is necessary when you sell a home in Staten Island. The purchasers' attorney will require it. You could check online at NYC building department and I suggest you discuss the situation with your attorney. Best of Luck!