Chagoya, Home Buyer in Basking Ridge, NJ

Difference in association fee: Single Family vs Townhouse at the Hills for a 3 bedroom house.

Asked by Chagoya, Basking Ridge, NJ Mon Aug 6, 2012

I would really appreciate if you could guide me on the association fee for a single family vs Townhouse, (ie 100 vs 300) for a 3 bed 2 1/2 bathroom at the Hills.

Thanks!!

Answers

4
The Association fee depends on the ammenities offered by the community and the number of homeowners paying and using the services. More ammenities= higher fee usually.

Some single family homes are in communities where there are no ammenities but there might be a one area dsuch as a retention basin or security gate so there is a small fee.
When there is a pool, tennis, playgrounds, gym, club house... the fee increases. There is insurance needed as well as the maintenance.
Hi Chagoya,

As mention by the Somerset Hills and Mr Larosa, that it is based on different associations and single family home to a townhouse. As in the single family home it is more in line with actually owning your home but in association that offer a pool and some other amenities. You are responsible snow removal and maintaining your own lawn. This gives you a sense of real ownership since your responsible for the maintance of the home.
In the case of the townhouse you will not be responsible for maintaining your home because the association fees cover the cost of lawn care and snow removal. This become more of a personal preference then cost factor. If you have a busy lifestyle then I suggest the town house but if you are a person that has time to spend then owning the home would be a better suggestion. Let me know if I can further assist you. You may contact me at 908.202.1174 or email me at danihaineshome@ live. com. Thank you and enjoy the week.
Dani Haines
Weichert
Generally, the single family home association fee does not include individual unit exterior maintenance, but townhouse association fees do. For example, townhouse assoc. fees would include items like roof and siding replacement, all lawn maintenance and driveway snow removal, as well as the overall Hills amenities like the pools, tennis courts, walking paths, etc. The single family home fees generally include the Hills amenities, but not the more individual unit costs of lawn maintenance or driveway snow removal. Many of the individual associations are slightly different in what the fee covers. I was a board member on one of the Hills associations a couple years ago, so am very familiar with the area. If you have any specific questions or would like to tour the area or any particular unit, don't hesitate to contact me anytime.
Hi Louis,
Thanks for the detailed reply. I am actually looking for the value (or a range) of each option at the Hills as I want to understand how this monthly payment would affect an overall mortgage. I can contact you directly if you do not want to post that information. Please advice. Thanks!!
Flag Mon Aug 6, 2012
The single family homes pay Hill Highlands Master Assoc for use of the amenities and some common area only. The townhomes fee includes this fee plus their own association common maintenance charges. These vary by neighborhood. Call me if you need more assistance. Good luck.