Property Q&A in Chicago>Question Details

Beth99, Home Buyer in Chicago, IL

Cost to tear down and rebuild garage?

Asked by Beth99, Chicago, IL Tue May 1, 2012

Looking at a house in the Lincoln Square/Ravenswood area. The builders added a large garage (equivalent to three cars) that takes up most of the backyard. What can I expect to spend to tear down the existing structure and rebuild a smaller 2 car garage?

Answers

8
Schiller hit it on the money for demo to finish on a 3 car garage, frame, and some bells. Masonry, different story. Deck above, different story if even possible given your zoning/area. Typical height restrictions are 15' to ridge for new garages. I love seeing the roll up door to the interior yard space-- its functional and makes moving things a snap.

Watch out for volume garage builders, some of them leave much to be desired after the ink dries. Just my .02, what do I know.
18,000 out the door if you want to do it right.
Permits required & possibly architectural drawings as well. Brick will be more expensive than frame.
Beth99 - before replacing a 2 car with a 3 car garage make sure you assess how it might effect your properties resale value. Above a certain price point in that area 3 car garages are the expectation. Something to perhaps discuss with your agent.

Kelli Johannesen-Logan
@properties
Any idea how much it would cost to tear up the concrete pad and reinstall? Or is possible to just cut it down to a smaller size instead of pulling it all out?
It depends on what materials you are using. Also, you may have to get some concrete work done. I would call and get some estimates.
First check out zoning for the area!

Check out costs of "pre-fab" vs "stick built".

AND...check into displays @ lumberyards...sometimes they need to bring in new and are willing to sell that shell "cheap" if you move it!
It will depend on the materials used roughly about $7500 for a frame 2 car garage . You can call Danley Garage . They can give you a better estimate or try Menards.