Property Q&A in Inverness>Question Details

Roger Parent, Other/Just Looking in Acushnet, MA

Can anyone tell me about sink holes in Inverness?

Asked by Roger Parent, Acushnet, MA Wed Sep 29, 2010

Answers

1
Mr. Parent,
Here is a pretty good link that will give you more information on sink holes in the Citrus County area. Copy and paste it into your browser.

http://fcit.usf.edu/florida/maps/pages/11100/f11119/f11119.htm

Your best bet is to speak with someone that will be able to answer your questions. I think that would be to speak to a local insurance agent in the area. I just spent over an hour with my local agent talking about all of the sinkhole "noise" that has been buzzing lately.

What we talked about was the fact that there really are no more sinkholes than there ever was. Most of what gets reported as a sinkhole, is really in fact just settling. The problem is, you get all these ambulance chasing lawyers that have proliferated the Hernando and Pasco county markets, and they are now moving into the Citrus and Marion county markets. The signs are literally obvious. There are billboards throughout the county now with sinkhole repair company phone numbers and our friend Morgan and Morgan, advertising for sink hole suits. "For the people" give me a break. "for the money" should be more like it.

With the current state of the economy, people are much more desperate for the dollar. They are willing to go to extremes that they normally wouldnt take. Lack of money and stress makes the mind cloudy and thinking straight becomes hard. I understand.

What the attorneys and sinkhole repair people aren't telling the customer is this, when you make that claim against your home for a sinkhole, that really is just settlement, sure you are going to get your home and get a check, but guess what, your home just became uninsurable, and your homes value has just gone down by at least 50%. No, they won't tell the customer that part. They also won't tell the customer that they are going to take nearly half of the claim paid either.

It's just another mess that we are in right now and hopefully the state is going to do something about it. Sure, there are sinkholes. This is Florida. But, I've lived in Citrus nearly my entire life and have never been affected by one.

Do your homework. Talk to the county and an insurance agent. Don't let some hyped up sinkhole scare deter you from moving into, or within our beautiful area.

Best of luck to you and your endeavours.
Thanks...I just bought a home in The South Highlands area...and I'm looking forward to
making Inverness My new home.
Flag Sun Aug 10, 2014