Property Q&A in Austin>Question Details

Ss1325, Home Owner in Austin, TX

Can anyone tell me a good area in South Austin where the home values are expected to rise and we could find a decent 4/3 for under $250k?

Asked by Ss1325, Austin, TX Wed May 23, 2012

Also preferably a resale and not new construction because I like mature trees and the fact that neighbors aren't so crammed together. We currently live in a tiny 3/1 in 78704 which is a great neighborhood but we've outgrown the house and could probably sell it and buy a home that is more than twice the size in a different zip code. Some of the areas we are looking are 78749 and 78745. Any thoughts on these areas?

Answers

12
Sorry for the typo in my previous answer. It was Shady Hollow. Two more neighborhoods to consider are Sendera and Maple Run. They are in 78749 zip code and close to Mopac in between Slaughter & William Cannon. Those homes are priced between $174k and $275k and have larger trees and are still only 15-20 minutes to downtown Austin
I didn't read all the responses, but 78748 is also an area you will want to include in your search.
Another great option would be Sahdy Hollow. Its just south of the intersection of Brodie Lane and Slaughter Lane. It was developed in the late 1970's and early 1980's. The lots are large and the trees mature and lovely. Some sections have half acre lots with room for lots of trees and still have a pool. You can typically find a 4-2 here from $225-$350K. Right now there is only one four bedroom home listed for sale and its just over your target price at $275K. However its 2400SF and its on a .89 acre lot with all the trees you wanted and it backs up to a greenbelt. if you want more information just let me know I would be happy to help.
Betina
.
I live in 78745 under a canopy of trees, I enjoy living in here and I'm very familiar with the market area you are seeking a home in. Please contact me and I'd be happey to assist you. On a side note we pay our buyers with buyer cash back rebates up to $2000 and offer full service listings for only 4.5% as versus the 6% charged by most others. Save when your sell, earn when you purchase.

Rodney Harris
Realtor/Austin Team Leader
Ready Real Estate
512-585-5017
rharris@readyrealestate.com
Personally I prefer 78749 over 45 as its closer to Barton Creek Mall and more dining options.You can get on MOPAC and be downtown in 15 minutes, whereas 78745 is closer to I-35 and the traffic there is horrendous. 78749 also can have a little more varied topography and nice greenbelt views in some areas.

You can still get a 4 bedroom home in 78749 for $250K. At the moment there are 3 homes for sale with four bedrooms and 2.5 baths and two car garage. The average home has 2095SF, and have been on the market 27 days. The Average list price is $111.68 per square foot or $229K up to $238K.
Hi!

There are currently 10 homes that fit your description in those zip codes. Here is a link to view them.

http://www.homesbysara.net/listings/propertytype/SINGLE/maxp…

Let me know if you see any that you are interested in and we can go take a look.

Sara Scott
512-578-8525
sara@homesbysara.net
You're in luck too that the 78704 zip code is very hot now too. We work both areas. When we represent you in the sale of your current home and in the purchase of your new home, we have a fantastic move up/move down program where we take ZERO commission on the sale of your current home (we still need to pay the buyer's agent commission of 3% though), saving you even more money than our program where we pay your first months mortgage. In addition, we provide you with a detailed marketing strategy designed to sell your current home for the most money in the shortest period of time. We provide professional photography, staging, virtual tour, expanded exposure on many internet sites, individual web site for your home and much more!

Because of our success formulas, we have been recognized by the Austin Business Journal consistently as top producers in the City. We have many, many testimonials from current, past and many repeat clients. Email me at ksherman@residentrealty.com and I'll provide you with these, more information on our listing program and a free market analysis. The time to act is now so don't delay!

Kim Sherman, REALTOR, GREEN, GRI, CNE
Austin Business Journal Top Producer
Broker Associate/Owner
Resident Realty, LLC
468-4387
ksherman@residentrealty.com
Check out my site for Travis Country in SW Austin! Great resource for a nice neighborhood just south of Barton Creek Mall. My mobile is 785-5525. Txt or call me with any questions.
The other agents are correct insofar as you need to get with a good Realtor and lender as soon as possible to assist you. I happen to work in that area quite often, and would be happy to assist you. A 4/3 at that price might be very difficult to find but I would be happy to look you and see what your current options are. I offer excellent Buyer Representation at no charge, and have a great team of lenders, inspectors and the like to assist you throughout the entire process. Also, I did answer your question about remodeling on your current home as well.
Please feel free to contact me and I will be happy to steer you in the right direction and help you find just the right home and also help you sell the one you're in now. I do offer a Multiple Transaction Package as well which can save you quite a bit of money!
Again, please review my credentials and client testimonials by clicking on my photo, and get in touch me if you'd like some expert, professional help. Joe Jarusinsky, Realtor/Master Instructor, Keller Williams Realty, Austin's #1 Real Estate Company, 512-261-4415
Your best bet is to find a REALTOR who works this area. Personality needs to mesh besides finding someone with experience. Talk to them, too, about how they would list your home also. The local market is so advantageous and you have a unique opportunity to see it from both sides.

You will come to rely on this person to be your go-to for everything real estate related. If you would like, I will be happy to provide you detailed information at no obligation. You may reach me at the information attached. Good luck in your query. It's a great time to be involved in the market!

Laura McMillan
REALTOR, ABR, ASP, CLHMS, CSR, ePRO, GRI, SRS
Avalar Austin Real Estate
512.903.5268
http://www.austintexasrealestate.me
If you're working with an experienced Realtor you should get one asap. 78749, 78739 and 78737 are extremely HOT right now with multiple offers the norm. While 78745 is an OK area, it is not nearly as sought after as the ones I just mentioned. The other thing to keep in mind about 78745 is that this area has a different type of geology that increases the likely hood of needing a foundation repair in the future. Getting a 4/3 in the above areas for $250K or less is extremely unlikely. A 3/2 is very doable. In the 78737 zip you are more likely to find something a little less expensive.

I am extremely familiar with these areas and all of Austin. I have lived in South Austin for the past 40 years and currently live in 78739 and plan to retire here. I would love to show you some of the best parts of South Austin.

I am currently offering a buyer program where I pay your first months mortgage payment of principal and interest.

If you have not talked to a lender yet, get one asap. I can make several recommendations.

If you are ready to purchase something before the prices get out of your range, please call me asap.

Kim Sherman, 468-4387
Of course I meant if you are NOT working with a Realtor right now to get one asap.
Thanks.
Flag Wed May 23, 2012