Property Q&A in 06820>Question Details

Treesdown, Home Owner in 06820

Can I sue the City for cutting my trees without a notice?

Asked by Treesdown, 06820 Tue Jan 10, 2012

The city can to my house and cut all my front trees without even teling me. I never received a notice and the guys that cut them, didn't even bother to knock and let me know he would be on my property.

Help the community by answering this question:


Wow, I can imagine that was quite a shocker!
Stephan's answer below is correct and I would add a couple of other thoughts. Do you know whether it was the utility/electric co trucks or the town's trucks? Do you have any easements on/across your property for powerlines? If there is recorded access/an easement on your deed at town hall for a utility company this may cover an even greater area of permitted access for protecting said utilities.
Very Sorry to hear about the trees, hopefully none were especially old or rare.
I have a client with a massive Magnolia tree down in Greenwich which, in that case, we protected indefinitely when we sold off a few acres so as never to see her cut down for increased water views.
Best of luck and I guess it's time to head down to the nursery!
Lisa Jones
Golden Key Achiever with over $50Million in Recent Sales
Higgins Group
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 11, 2012
Hi Treesdown -
Towns and utility's typically have the right to cut, remove & trim all vegetation up to 8' from the street without permission. It can be greater than 8' depending on the type of road you live on and if utilities cross your property. I suggest contacting town hall and ask to speak with the zoning department who should be able to provide the exact verbiage that applies to your property. Wish I had better news, but........good luck.
Stephan von Jena
William Pitt Sotheby's International Realty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 10, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer