Property Q&A in Levittown>Question Details

Mvinny13, Home Buyer in Levittown, NY

Can I put an extension on my house and move in a family member? Does it have to be mother/daughter permitted and if so does my mother have to move in?

Asked by Mvinny13, Levittown, NY Sat Feb 13, 2010

Help the community by answering this question:


The name Mother/Daughter doesn't neccessarily mean it has to be your mother.......anybody can move in.....

As for the extension, consult an architect about the specific zoning rules in your town. Different Nassau towns have different zoning/regulations.

Good luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 13, 2010
I would like to address your question about the Mother/daughter permit. You were mislead when one of the responders said anyone can move in given you have a permit That is not true. In order to get a permit for a mother.daughter arrangement, you must prove that the tenant is a direct descendant of the owner namely: a mother or father or a child of owner. It can not be a cousin, aunt, uncle, or friend etc. There are some towns that allow seniors who are the owners to rent to unrelated tenants but you won't find that to be true in incorporated villages. Check with your town of Hempstead zoning board. Call me if you have further questions.

Lynn Pisani GRI, PSC, CBR
Prudential Douglas Elliman Real Estate/Garden City
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 18, 2012
Most Levittown homes are in the Levittown Planned Residential (LPRD) zoning district. Though one would think age discrimination is illegal, it clearly allowed in many cases such as "seniors discounts" and various tax breaks only seniors can bet. In LPRD - and perhaps in the rest of the Town of Hempstead - a senior can have a house with a second apartment and rent to anyone as long as the senior's name is on the deed. Senior probably means older than 64, but I'm not sure of the exact age. If your mom is over that age you don't have to give her the house, you can just give her a life estate. Two family means two kitchens for the most part. You need an architect and filed plans and a building permit to make sure it's done legally. A mother/daughter is a house with two kitchens. There may be a difference in the regulations depending on whether the two apartments can be accessed one from the other without going outside. That would be the difference between a mother/daughter and a two-family house. Yes, she has to live there and they verify it annually if I remember correctly.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 14, 2010
The problem with advice is that it is given with good intentions but can often lead you down the road to hell.
Your question may sound easy and straight forward but actually can get very complicated. The answers given below are all correct and incorrect at the same time. Without knowing your local zoning, size of your property, legal status of your property(legal vs. non-conforming) what you intend to put in the addition and who you intend to put in the addition there is no way of accurately answering your question. As an appraiser I have seen many times, additions that were done without the advice of a true expert and the problems created. I urge you to speak to an architect familiar with the zoning and building codes for the Town of Hempstead instead of in this venue.
You can do some of the research yourself online. Go to the Town of Hempstead website and look up the zoning regulations. Before you do this you will need to know what your area zoning category is. I believe Levittown is LPRD but call the Town's real estate department to make sure. The zoning map is not on line.
Once you know your zoning you can look up the requirements for that designation. However as I mentioned earlier this can be complicated. You may not know all the questions that require an answer.
Your best bet is to make an appointment with a building department representative, tell him what you want to do and get the correct answers. Or you can consult a local architect and have all your questions answered by him if you are uncomfortable speaking with a Town official.

Good Luck
Allen Bauman
Century21 Yve R.E.
Licensed R.E. Agent
NYS Certified Residential Appraiser
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 13, 2010
With proper permits, you can build an extension(s) to your property. If you don't need separate living quarters it does not need to be a mother/daughter.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 13, 2010
Yes you can put on extension - all construction permits must be filed with the town of Hempstead.

It is your house you can have anyone living in you wish.

If you are putting in a second kitchen in your Single Family Residence then you have to file for a Mother/Daughter permit (for family members living together) or if you are a Senior Citizen you can file for an accesory apartment and rent to whomever you choose.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 13, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer