Property Q&A in Long Beach>Question Details

Ronhaller, Home Buyer in Long Beach, CA

CURRENT PROPERTY TAXES AND LONG BEACH TAX RATE?

Asked by Ronhaller, Long Beach, CA Tue Jun 28, 2011

--
This question is about this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/3055087571-5275-E-Mezzanine-W…

Answers

6
I know this area, for a fixed up home, like this one is, it's priced right.

However, if you'd like a home to customize yourself & you have the funds to do it, there are other homes in the "needs cosmetic attention" category priced for $125K+ less.

Email me directly if you'd like more information about this, I can show you what I'm talking about.

EmilyKnell1@yahoo.com
562-430-3053 c
Realtor Since 1996
Main Street Realtors - Long Beach
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 29, 2011
Dear Ron,
Hi! On your question of property tax, try 1.25% of the price of the house. Something tells me you have been thinking of buying a house. The best thing to do would be to come and have a 20 minute chat with me, there is no fee and no obligation to buy through me. With this first step, you will find out what your options are. I will be happy to meet with you. thank you.

Arlene Jarmolinski
DRE Lic. 01861926
Century 21 Action!
2679 Redondo Avenue
Long Beach, Ca 90806
Phone 562-507-3667
email: arlenej@emailc21.com
Most agents and lenders will use a rate of 1.25% when estimating your housing expenses, but more often it works out to be less. This is also some good info on property taxes you might like to know...

Text of Proposition 13 as originally presented to the voters (June 1978)
Read Proposition 13 as it is enshrined in the California state constitution.PROPOSITION 13

THE AMENDMENT.

That Article XIII A is added to the Constitution to read:

Section 1.

(a) The maximum amount of any ad valorem tax on real property shall not exceed one percent (1%) of the full cash value of such property. The one percent (1%) tax to be collected by the counties and apportioned according to law to the districts within the counties.

(b) The limitation provided for in subdivision (a) shall not apply to ad valorem taxes or special assessments to pay the interest and redemption charges on any indebtedness approved by the voters prior to the time this section becomes effective.

Section 2.

(a) The full cash value means the County Assessors valuation of real property as shown on the 1975-76 tax bill under "full cash value," or thereafter, the appraised value of real property when purchased, newly constructed, or a change in ownership has occurred after the 1975 assessment. All real property not already assessed up to the 1975-76 tax levels may be reassessed to reflect that valuation.

(b) The fair market value base may reflect from year to year the inflationary rate not to exceed two percent (2%) for any given year or reduction as shown in the consumer price index or comparable data for the area under taxing jurisdiction.

Section 3.

From and after the effective date of this article, any changes in State taxes enacted for the purpose of increasing revenues collected pursuant thereto whether by increased rates or changes in methods of computation must be imposed by an Act passed by not less than two-thirds of all members elected to each of the two houses of the Legislature, except that no new ad valorem taxes on real property, or sales or transaction taxes on the sales of real property may be imposed.

Section 4.

Cities, Counties and special districts, by a two-thirds vote of the qualified electors of such district, may impose special taxes on such district, except ad valorem taxes on real property or a transaction tax or sales tax on the sale of real property within such City, County or special district.

Section 5.

This article shall take effect for the tax year beginning on July 1 following the passage of this Amendment, except Section 3 which shall become effective upon the passage of this article.

Section 6.

If any section, part, clause, or phrase hereof is for any reason held to be invalid or unconstitutional, the remaining sections shall not be affected but will remain in full force and effect.
Dear Ronhaller,
In my calculations in LA County, I use 1.25% as the tax rate. It is usually conservative and overstates the actual taxes by a smidge, but it is an easy number to remember.

PS - Long Beach is a great place to live. Good luck with buying that home.

Gene Scott
ERA Buy America Real Estate Services
562-212-2345
For this particular property, the current tax rate (total property tax divided by assessed value) is 1.174%. Taxes are current. Taxes do fluctuate from area to area, as they are based on two parts:
1. 1% of the purchase price as the base property tax.
2. Special assessments, bonds, and other voter approved property related charges, that are billed with your property taxes (#1 above) and payable at the same time.

This property is still showing active on the MLS. When is now a good time for us to see it. Let me know and I can schedule an appointment. Of course, if you are already working with an agent, call them to schedule that appointment. Good luck in your home searching and Dare to Dream.

Shel-lee Davis, QSC®
Certified Distressed Property Expert – CDPE®
Short Sale & Foreclosure Resource – SFR®
Certified HAFA Specialist – CHS®
SSG Pro®
Your Real Estate Consultant for Life
RE/MAX Palos Verdes Realty
424-2HELP12 (424-243-5712)
myrealestateanswers@gmail.com
http://shel-lee.listingbook.com
In Long Beach if you compute the tax rate @ 1.15% of the sales price (less a $7,000 Homestead exemption for your principal residence) you will be right on target for the annual tax. If you look for property outside LA county and, especially in Riverside County, make sure that your realtor ascertains if there is any Mello Roos assessment as such assessments can easily bring the effective real estate tax rate up to as much as 2.2% of the sales price.
If you have any other questions regarding the purchase of a home or any related real estate, financing etc. issues, please call /text (562-754-9941) or email me @ jack.nendel@verizon.net
RE/MAX College Park Realty
140 Linden Avenue, #280
Long Beach, CA 90802
http://www.HousingSolutionsByJack.com