Property Q&A in 48446>Question Details

Dwg3232, Home Buyer in Michigan

Anything we can do about neighboring house for sale attracting a lot of disruptive "lookers"?

Asked by Dwg3232, Michigan Wed Aug 29, 2012

The house directly behind our home has been vacant due to foreclosure for 2.5 years. It was finally put up for sale about a month ago. Since it was vacated, and especially now that the house is officially for sale, we've had an issue with lookers-people wandering around the house, peeking in the windows, etc. Yesterday a family let their 4 children stand at the fence dividing our backyards and throw sticks & walnuts at our dog. We also have a young daughter and it makes me extremely uncomfortable that all these strangers are wandering around this house while she plays outside. Today a couple stood by the back fence looking straight into our back patio doors for at least 10 minutes. People do this at least 3 times a day, every day. I don't know these people or what their intentions are & it's becoming a real safety issue for us. Is there anything the selling agent can do to at least try to combat this? Or is this an issue I'll need to take up with the city?

Answers

1
How is a listing agent supposed to keep people from looking into a neighboring yard?

When you bought your house, didn't you look around at the other houses to see what was going on?

Close the shades on the patio doors and hope you get some cool neighbors.
Eric, thanks for the helpful attitude. The house wasn't vacant/foreclosed when we moved in. The neighbors on either side of this house & I met with the listing agent & the city and they took care of the matter. Thankfully the listing agent was more professional than you & understood the concerns for our young children and worked with us to resolve the problem.
Flag Fri Aug 31, 2012