Property Q&A in Phoenix>Question Details

Dana And Ron…, Home Buyer in Rimrock, AZ

Am proprosing cash on home (>50,000.00) no financing, have proof funds submitted. Near Phoenix, Az and sellers agent is requesting SS number? Why?

Asked by Dana And Ron Marconnet, Rimrock, AZ Mon Jul 30, 2012

Answers

6
Depending on why I might or might not provide it. Sometimes you are requested to and have to other times not so much.

Lots of questions? Do you have an agent?
What type of home are you buying? If the home is a HUD home, then HUD requires your SSN to be submitted with the offer.
It could be what they said below, or a HUD home where you need to provide you SS# in order to bid. Ask your real estate agent to check. It might be completely legit, or it can be something else. I would be very careful with giving my SS# to a stranger.
Bank of America short sales (not REOs) require the buyer's social security number. This is required by Bank of America to ensure that the buyer and seller are not related. If you are not comfortable sharing this information, as is certainly your right, I probably would not purchase a Bank of America short sale. Given the recent credit card security breaches and explosion of identity fraud, I can understand your hesitation.

I have an idea... ask the listing agent to use his social instead! :)
Most likely the property is owned by Bank of America or other type of institution that requests buyer information for their process. Ask the agent.
Is the property a short-sale or REO? My opinion the banking instituions are over stepping their boundries. I wouldn't give my SS#.