Property Q&A in Middletown>Question Details

Merrychristm…, Home Buyer in Middletown, NJ

About how much will it cost to add an attached 24 x 24 two car garage to a home in Middletown, NJ?

Asked by Merrychristmas, Middletown, NJ Wed Dec 28, 2011

Answers

8
I would start with the zoning officer to see if this size addition to the footprint is allowable. You need to check coverage area, setbacks, are any NJDEP issues. If you are by a category "1" stream all bets are off that you could build anything at all without an L.O.I.. Find out this info before you spend any money or time on this project.
Bob is right as to the place for this question. And based on his comments as to contractors and construction sites, he's also right to leave professional contractors to handle their expertise. I can't really comment on getting a contractor/realtor or realtor/contractor, since I have never reccommended either combination. Since, apparently, I wasn't crystal clear previously, I stopped being a contractor to become a Realtor. And as it is true a number of contractors aren't worth my referral, some are great. Even though I'm a full time realtor, and I hear a lot of references to full time proffessionals are all that should be used, I only reccommend using those with good references. And that's full or part-time. Quality is more important than pre-conceived notions. Whether a contractor or realtor, bad service is bad all the time. I've come across bad service from contractors, realtors, doctors, dentists, lawyers, etc. All full time pros. All the really good ones also are very interested in their own business, and that was best served by good service to their clients.

Again, a lot of rambling going on over a general question.
Thank you all for your answers. With regard to whether the question is bogus or not, I guess it depends on one's perspective. If the question is considered to be a waste of time, there is the choice of not responding. ;-) In all seriousness, the reason why I asked the question is because given the state of the economy, volatility of the equity markets, and confidence or lack thereof in the real estate market, I thought it prudent to explore all avenues of diligence to determine whether an addition to a home, such as a garage, is justifiable and a good investment. The first step is to determine the potential cost. Indeed, who better to ask than experienced professionals and locals within this particular community who have a high likelihood of having encountered this question in the past. On a side, as I was searching for the answer to the question, I found that the same question was asked and answered on other local community sites within Trulia. Further, as a new member of the Middletown community, any and all data points are much appreciated. Understanding that there are several variables in addition to an estimate (because after all, an estimate is simply that) to determine whether the addition is a wise choice or not, I still appreciate the help. Dennis, I think that your contracting experience gives you a competitive edge. I will reach out to you under separate cover as we consider making additional investments in the near future. Thank you for answering.
Dennis and others who repsonded. Is it me or does this question seem like Trulia is asking a general question to justify their cost of their services. In other words it seems very bogus to me. If not then the true questioner should contact me or respond to us. I really find it strange that in this day and age a person would ask about a construction project to an agent online when there are construction contracting sites, lowes, home depot etc available to peruse. My contacts as a full time professional realtor are with local reputable Middletown contractors who I know personally because I have lived and worked in the Middletown area for over 20 years. Great information Tim but as I have learned most people want to know what they are getting a contractor/realtor or a realtor/contractor or just a realtor. Most contractors I have met who also have their real estate license seem to care about one person, them, and not their clients. I hope this is not the case with you. They also think a realtor's work is easy. We are problem solvers, therapists, consultants and negotiators but definitely not experts on construction costs, architecture or labor costs. I leave that to the professional full time contractors and I know a few very good ones who get paid well but deliver a great finished product.
It nice of the pros to remind everyone of real estate agents not being contractors, while also vying for your business. I on the other hand was trying to answer a simple question, based on the fact, I was a general contractor for 18 years and chief estimator for other contractors for another 5 and have worked from the bottom up as to experience. So, since I'm not trying to snatch your business and do know what I'm talking about, my answer is as it was stated, without hype and phoney inflated pricing.

If you decide to pursue the actual construction of the garage, I suggest you find 3 contractors who have done other garage additions before, and are also favorably reccommended by people you know. Online reviews may also be reliable. Get a detailed estimate from each, with everything spelled out. In NJ they are required by law to provide you with start and end dates. The actual materials that will be used. They must also provide you with an insurance certificate that insures you and the work. If your home was built before 1978 and may have left paint, they must also provide you with a current certificate of lead contractor certification. The current licensing and lead certification can be verified online at the Consumer Affairs website.
This is not really a question for an real estate agent since we are not contractors. I could generalize based on experience but think it is best for you to contact local Middletown contractors that I am familiar with who will give you an honest estimate.

Robert "Bob" Haspel
Real Estate Sales Professional
Better Homes & Gardens Preferred Properties
Coffenberg Commercial Real Estate
105 East River Road
Rumson, New Jersey 07760
Office: 732-224- 9200
Fax: 732-224-9206
Web: http://www.bobhaspel.com
bobhaspel.listingbook.com/
Email: bhaspel@bhgmoves.com
"A NAME YOU CAN TRUST FOR SUPERIOR SERVICE"

I am never too busy for you or your referrals!
If you send me your contact info via email, I will put you in contact with one of my guys that does a lot of work for me. Once you give him a better description of what you are looking for he will be able to give you a more realistic number.

William F. Troy
Broker-Salesperson
REO/HUD Director
Pre-foreclosure Specialist Mastery Certification
RDC PRO, SRES, e-PRO, CDPE, Luxury Home Team
Veltri & Associates Realtors
1012 Cox Cro Rd.
Toms River, NJ 08755
Office-(732)557-4600 ext. 422
Cell- (732)600-1570
Fax- (732)557-6425
wtroy@veltrirealtors.com
http://www.veltrirealtors.com
Since I can only generalize based on a 24x24 footprint size. And without knowing the finishes, heights, roof shingle style, siding, foundation height, door types, motors, electrical and general site work needed, I will give you general ranges.

For 576 sf of garage with unfinished interior walls and minimal electrical, you could expect to pay between $25,000 and $35,000. Your plan and permits can be approximately $3,000 to $6,000 depending on details involved. This also assumes that you are not doing any of the actual work yourself and the plans are done by an architect.

If your house have difficult sitework, involving a number of large trees or structures to be moved, or ornate features in roof shingles or highly detailed trimwork on the exterior, then the price would be expected to be higher.