Tom C, Other/Just Looking in 92506

Who has the authority to give permits for bouys or can anyone just put in a bouy on the west side of Lake?

Asked by Tom C, 92506 Sat Aug 8, 2009

Tahoe?

Answers

5
Hi Tom,
Currently there are no buoy permits being issued by any agency. It has been with the TRPA for many years, but has recently been put on hold. Not permits are being issued and there is no enforcement of any non permitted buoys at this time.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 6, 2012
You already got an answer below, but I just wanted to add that few associations on the west shore have buoys you can rent very inexpensively if you are a home owner in those neighborhoods. Chamberlands and Tahoe Park are the two popular ones, so if you are not a member of such an HOA, and need a buoy, it is a great time to trade up. I have several clients doing it.
The HOA fees are also very reasonable. In Tahoe Park it is only 260/year (plus buoy rental).
You can search all the west shore properties here by clicking on the area of the map:
http://www.charmingcabins.com/search-properties/search-lake-…
TRPA. I think there's quite a waiting list and installation can be costly.
Buoys are a contentious issue with no real solid plan right now. The mooring program is in a freeze-state as "the Agency has put the mooring registration program on hold for up to six months in order to create an interim program to continue the registration program." The TRPA is in charge and was permitting them. Only Marinas, Lakefront owners and associations are supposed to have them. But there are many "illegal" buoys in the water.

TRPA's plan was to increase the number of buoys in the lake but the league to save Lake Tahoe sued the TRPA. The conservation group took issue with TRPA’s plan that would have allowed an additional 128 private piers and 1,822 buoys to the already existing 768 piers and nearly 4,500 buoys.

The new, new plan is currently out for review now....

You can read more about it on my website at: http://www.tahoeproperties.com/lake-tahoe-buoy-info/
RE the buoys. No, you cannot legally put a buoy on Lake Tahoe without a permit from the Tahoe Regional Planning Agency and, in California, another one from State Lands Commission. There is a stringent application procedure, also involving obtaining a Best Management Practices certificate if you don't have one. The intial criteria is to have litoral rights to the lake, with over 50' on the water entitling 2 buoys (assuming not in fish habitat and/or other concerns) or 1 buoy if you own 50' or less on the lake. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
Web Reference: http://trpa.org