Tom C, Other/Just Looking in 92506

Regarding the noise from the power boats on lake tahoe, is there a restriction as to when the boats must be

Asked by Tom C, 92506 Sat Aug 15, 2009

off of the lake at night or is there a reduction in speed required at a certain time in the evening ? I'm very curious since I was very suprised at the amount of noise when I was vacationing there for the first time. Thank you.

Answers

7
Neil Morse’s answer
There are NO restrictions for speed at certain times of the evening. There are speed restrictions for the mooring fields called "no wake zones." But boaters are free to be as loud as they want all night long.
If a boater is operating from dusk til dawn navigation lights are required by the Coast Guard and local law enforcement offices. The only speed limits on Lake Tahoe are in mooring(buoy) fields and when a boat is within 500 feet of the shoreline. If a boat is operating within a mooring field or within 500 ft of the shore the operator is required to go 5 mph or less. For more information on boating rules and regulations on Lake Tahoe please contact the United States Coast Guard, Tahoe Station 530-583-4433 as they would be happy to provide you with additional information. I hope this information helps and have a great day.

Best regards, Dave

David Westall, Realtor
DRE# 01796995
Tahoe Riverfront Realty, Inc.
david@westallrealestate.com
Sounds good! Knowing this sort of information is great.
Any boat permitted to be in the lake can be operated in the lake at any time. Unfortunately some of those boats are loud.
In the last 4 years; have you found a lake more to your liking?
The best time of year to enjoy the Tahoe area with as little noise as possible on Lake Tahoe are the months of June and September. Both are warm, beautiful months with a lot less traffic on and off the lake.
I am not aware of curfew for boats. I believe there is a decible limit. this is a lake and it's used for boats, so boating activity is to be expected.