Geo0171, Other/Just Looking in Staten Island, NY

High Rock Park water problem...

Asked by Geo0171, Staten Island, NY Fri Nov 16, 2012

There is a brook that runs on the side of my property. After Superstorm Sandy, the brook got filled with leaves causing water to slowly seap into my back yard. My grass id now dead and my backyard is now a mud pit. Who is responsible for this? What can be done to prevent a reoccurance of this??

Answers

4
By all means, contact NYC ParksDept. You may get quicker results by emailing them, and be put on the list. I believe they are very hard at work responding to the calls coming, but an email won't be overlooked. Also, notify environmental organizations, again I find the best results are through emails. Best of luck, and try a little patience with the volume of victims who also need assistance.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 17, 2012
The brook is on NYC Parks property.
You haven't made it clear whether the brook is part of your property, a neighbor's, or is public domain. That being said, if it is part of the Parks Dept., you would notify them of the problem. In any case, you may want to notify EPA since they would want to protect a natural brook and such a problem could endanger other life forms. If it is on your property, you might want to consult with specialists. The site that has water flow clogged should be addressed so you can avoid more of the same with heavy rain or snow which will leave your property subject to water backing up and continue causing problems. Excess water should be drained after clogs are cleared, to avoid added moisture attracting mosquitos in the spring.
The brook is NYC parks property. Unfortunately, it runs about 5 feet away from my house. When I purchased the home it was quite beautiful to hear the sound of a running brook...now it is just a headache!
Flag Sat Nov 17, 2012
I would advise calling 311, tell them your situation and they would guide you to the appropriate agency.