Parks & Recreation in Durham>Question Details

gentry.pelti…, Other/Just Looking in Morgantown, WV

Durham main park?

Asked by gentry.peltier, Morgantown, WV Thu Sep 13, 2012

Looking to possibly move to Durham. Received some good advice from one of the realtors on Trulia about Durham being a good place to live. I actually went to Durham and compared it to Raleigh. I liked the homes in Durham and thought it was a nice place. I will be comparing it to Austin. I was concerned there there wasn't any major park in Durham. I followed signs to a Central Park but, when I got there, there was no such park. I know there is a state park (Eno Park) but I am interested in a major city park. Is there any such park in Durham or a future one planned.
Also, one last question. I being reading about a commuter train being planned from Durham to Raliegh. Any real chance on this being built.

Answers

5
Michael Colvin’s answer
Hello Gentry
I live in Durham and relocated from the DC area in 2001. First I would like to say I love Durham it is an awesome city. We have many parks and I would love to help you find your new home near one, if you will let me know your wants and needs I would be happy to send you some, no obligation even though my services are free to you.
Michael
It all depends upon what kind of activities you want in a park. Durham county has lots of small parks, with playgrounds; soccer and baseball fields, public tennis courts, frisbee golf, etc. The Eno is an expansive area for hiking and picnicking. The revitalized downtown Durham is almost one large park. It is a combination of quaint and urban. There is a large farmer's market downtown, arts centers and even a new skateboard park.

There is a great likelihood of light rail in our future, but it likely won't be realized for at least 5 years.

Durham is a wonderful place, with character, arts, baseball and more one-of-a-kind fine restaurants than any city in the area.

Try looking at our site or using our advanced search software. We would love to serve you: http://www.besthomepro.com/durham-nc/homes-for-sale/

Jeff Johnston
Forest Hill Park is probably the largest but there are a number of small parks scattered throughout Durham. I've attached a link below to the City Park website for you.

Durham, Chapel Hill and Wake county have all bgun collecting money through property taxes for the commuter train you've heard about, Not sure when it may come to fruition but would estimate it's still 3-5 years out at best. Take a look at the capitol projects section on the following site: http://www.triangletransit.org/

If you do decide to relocate here to Durham I'd be happy to assist you. You can find out more about me on my profile page here on Trulia.
I am a Durham Native we have many parks such as dog parks and family parks near and within neighborhoods. We have nearby EE centers also. I will gladly send ypu links and be happy to show the neighborhoods and parks and available homes to ypu when ypu visit or virtually. P
Deborah Miller Real Estate, Eco Broker
919-491-2826
Commuter rail could possibly happen if funding is available. Might take a while.
I am a REALTOR and coach for Woodcroft Athletics and SDLL Little League. There are many recreational leagues and plenty of individual parks located through out Durham for families and sports.
I have lived in Durham since 1986 and have found many avenues to "play".
In SW Durham there are walking trails in many of the subdivisions as well as play grounds, pools, basketball and baseball fields. Herndon Park located south of I40 offers baseball, soccer and play ground.
Email or call and I will be happy to share.
Rick Hardy
9195997688
rickhardy52@gmail.com