Parks & Recreation in Denver>Question Details

Sami, Real Estate Pro in San Francisco, CA

As a mountain biker, what's the best place to live in Denver, with easy access to trails?

Asked by Sami, San Francisco, CA Thu May 3, 2007

My sister is moving to Denver from San Francisco by end of year. She doesn't care where exactly she's living in the city...as long as she's got very convenient access to MTB trails. Any recommendations?

Answers

7
There are so many options in Denver within 20 minutes of any home - where do you start? If you want to be a stone's throw from some great trail heads, take a serious look at the West side of town and communities like Golden, home of the historic Coors Brewery. Morrison is a good option near to trails on Green Mountain and around Red Rocks - view the Trulia Real Estate Guide to see where the borders are. You can't go wrong in any community within close proximity to Green Mountain. And of course, Roxborough Park to the south + Evergreen and Genesee (search under Golden) to the west are also worth considering. But you need to factor in where you're working when you look at these options. Most important, once you find your home, make sure to check out trails.com and the Jefferson County open space Web site (link below).
Denver has tons of great mountain biking. The only drawback is that it's pretty much all a drive from downtown.
Highlands Ranch is great, the trails are pretty much beginner/intermediate - but a good work out and easily reachable from home (1 mile in my case). I figure closeness to SOMETHING matters a lot and you're more likely to get a work out in.

Then you can head for tougher trails like Dinosaur ridge, Deer creek canyon, Picks 'n Sledge, Green Mountain or any of the more challenging trails - longer tougher rides are worth the drive wherever you are. For me it is that 2-3 times a week opportunity out of my garage for a 7-9 mile ride.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 12, 2013
I would say if you can find something near Golden or Morrison you would be close to a lot of trails. The farther up the hill you go the better the mountain biking gets. There are some clubs you can join as well to discover a lot of neat trails.
Our mtn biking trails are one of the best kept secrets of Denver. As an avid mtn biker myself, living any place in the city or to the west of the city will provide easy access to many trailheads. From the city it is only a 20 to 25 minute drive to several great rides – Apex, White Ranch and Mt Falcon to name a few. 6th Avenue is a straight shot from the city to the foothills – it only backups up briefly each day during normal rush hour times. However, even in the worst traffic, it never takes me more than 35 minutes to drive from downtown to any of the trailheads mentioned. If the above drive is too long, then your sister should move to Golden which is only 5-10 minutes to several rides.
I've lived in both a downtown neighborhood and a west surburban neighborhood. The Jeffco Open space MTB trails are all over the foothills. If you live in Lakewood, Golden or Morrison, you'll be 10-15 min away from a dozen trailhead choices. If you're downtown and close to 6th ave, you'll be 30 min away. Granted, it's not a big deal, but when you're on the west side and *so* close, it really is nice. The only catch - if your sister has a job within Denver city limits, the AM eastbound and PM westbound commutes are heavy. I'm lucky enough to work on the west side, so even when I lived downtown, I was commuting against traffic. If you live on the west side, on Jefferson County, you can have easy access to all the great outdoorsy stuff in the foothills, and still be only 20-30 minutes away from downtown. The closer to 6th Ave, the easier/faster it is to get anywhere. Cheers!
If she can live on the west side of town - which is the farthest from downtown - but the closest to great mtn biking trails - have her check out Ken Caryl Valley, Willow Springs or Roxborough Park - all 3 communities have direct access to public land (dedicated open space) virtually right from your backyard and all with fabulous trail systems! Enjoy :)