Trulia Houst…, Other/Just Looking in Houston, TX

Aerial spraying for West Nile virus

Asked by Trulia Houston, Houston, TX Thu Aug 9, 2012

The Dallas County Medical Society says the county should do aerial spraying immediately to help reduce the spread of the West Nile virus.

The nation’s top health officials say more serious illnesses from West Nile virus have been reported so far this year than any since 2004. Most have been in Texas, especially around the Dallas area.

Is there anything else that residents of Houston can do to prevent West Nile virus?

Answers

1
Joanie Schaatt’s answer
I know that City of Houston and Harris County are being very diligent about spraying because of the number of deaths from West Nile. I'm sure the frequency varies from area to area, and I'd have to know about where you live/want to live to be more helpful. As for anything else you can do, what I've heard and read is: 1) don't go out in early morning hours or dusk hours; 2) use a spray and use plenty of it, and it should contain Deet: and 3) watch your own yard for standing water and eiminate that. Item 3 could help in both the mosquito attracting problem and the preservation of the integrity of your slab foundation ( if you have one, and most of us do in this area!). Anything else I can do to help? Don't hesitate to contact me. After 38 years, you'd think I'd be burned-out, but I find that I am energized with buyers and sellers both who are committed to working as a team member with me.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 9, 2012