Moving in New York>Question Details

Mommauzz, Other/Just Looking in New York, NY

what towns would you recommend in bergen county for a family who is moving out of manhattan? my husband's commute will be to and from the bronx,

Asked by Mommauzz, New York, NY Sun Nov 1, 2009

ny. we are looking for a place that is family oriented, good schools, parks etc...and we would like the option of being able to walk to a corner store or to dinner if we want. we will probably rent first to see if we like the area before we are ready to buy. my husband will be commuting to the bronx, ny, queens, ny and parts of long island...any advice?

0 votes Share Flag Moving in New York

Answers

4
Hello, Rockland County should be considered. Towns like Pearl River, Nanuet, Piermont and Nyack are great areas to be in with good & great school systems! Bronx(where I was raised) cannot be compared and sell half a dozen homes to Bronxites every year!
Riverdale! I have a friend who lives there and he loves it there.
I strongly recommend in New Jersey looking at Glen Rock, Ridgewood, and Allendale. I live in Ridgewood and work in Manhattan. Determine what areas he will be commuting to the most because that will dictate to go to north or south Jersey. More southernly I recommend Short Hills, New Brunswick -- and I'm sure you'll get many more recommendations. Do some google searches for parents' comments on their school systems!
Dear Mommauzz,

I have lived and worked in the Bronx for years. I grew up in the Parkchester section of the Bronx and bought my condo in Parkchester when I got married a couple of years ago. The Bronx have several neighborhoods that are great including Pelham, Parkchester, Norwood, Riverdale, Bronxdale, Morris Park, . I especially like the Morris Park and Pelham section because it is rather quiet and conveniently located to a significatnt number of shopping areas and walking distance to several parks. I would highly recommend that you check the schools for whichever area you are interested in.

One of the only concern with the above areas and most of the North Bronx is the rent is a bit more expensive is these areas. I think it is a great idea to live in an area first to get the feel of it before you purchase. One of the benefits to taking this approach is in allows you to observe things such as the parking, transportation (trains and buses), traffic, congestion, etc. Sometimes the smallest convenience can make the biggest difference in a person's life when moving to a new area.

If you have any additional questions, please do not hesisate to ask. Good luck.

Nirmala Caraballo
Licensed Real Estate Agent
Cruse Realty
1408 White Plains Road
Bronx, NY 10462
Te1.: 646-479-7873
Email: nhcaraballo@yahoo.com