Moving in 60640>Question Details

Tim Browne, Renter in Chicago, IL

what is a move in fee?

Asked by Tim Browne, Chicago, IL Sat Jul 26, 2008

I am seeing more and more of this - No security deposit - but a 100 - 200 dollar "move-in" fee - what is this?

1 vote Share Flag Moving in 60640

Answers

7
Eric Marcus (773) 244-1110’s answer
A move in fee is just charge to you. Unlike a security deposit you don't get your money back.

Many condo associations use this as a way of recovering the cost of administering the change of updating mailboxes, reprogramming buzzers, changing directories etc. or just as a way of making a little extra money.

Eric Marcus
ESM Realty
Your Real Friend in Chicago Real Estate
773-244-1110
Touching up walls for dings and scratches also during the move in.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 28, 2008
Is it legal to charge a move in move out fee for a 3 month furnished rental No moving furniture
I am not sure what the rules are in NJ, but in Chicago, yes.
Flag Wed Jan 21, 2015
is this legal for owner of the rental apartment to do
A non refundable fee often used in place of, or in addition to, the security deposit. You should ask if you get a move out fee when it comes time to leave. That will be next.
Essentially it's a rip-of!!

A security deposit would have to be returned if you moved out with proper notice, no distressing damage to the place. It's a CYA for the owner in case you move out suddenyly or trash the place. Then he/she can repaint, change the locks, clean, advertise, etc.

But a move in fee is worse than posting bond. It's a fee they can keep even if you are a perfect tenant. And move-in fees are going up -- I've seen as high as $350. Plus application fees and credit check fees and... why play that game?
I have rented rooms for several years and gave the prospective tenant a choice between paying a 250.00 move in fee or a 500.00 security deposit which is refundable. Most people who are looking to rent a room want to save so they go for something cheap and practical. In my experience they could be the best tenant as far as paying rent on time but once they leave you should see what I have to do to get the room ready for the next tenant Shampoo the carpet, maybe paint depending on when I last painted, a towel cloth sheets is missing or ceramic in the foyer is cracked when they're in the process of moving in and/or out, Some tenants have moved out earlier and have broken their lease so I have to eat the remaining Court costs for breach of lease can be expensive so I have to figure is it worth taking the tenant to curt or just letting them out of their lease. Try renting over a period of time and you will see move in fees are important one way or another. Some want both move in & SD.
Flag Wed Jan 21, 2015
This is truly a game. I paid 560 dollars for a move in fee. I got jacked. The place is horrible and the realty company has not done anything that they promised to do. I wonder if I can get my move in fee back?
Flag Fri Aug 9, 2013
monopolizing the elevator on Saturday when people shop and want to relax at their home but hate to be inconvenienced by a new neighbor and so complain at the condo meeting and demand what they heard is done at a friends complex.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 11, 2008