Moving in Chicago>Question Details

Sean Waple, Renter in Akron, OH

25 yr old white male moving to Chicago for job. Where should I be looking.?

Asked by Sean Waple, Akron, OH Tue Jan 8, 2013

I am moving to Chicago to work at the United Center (Chicago Bulls arena). I am looking to spend no more than $750 a month on a 1 bedroom or studio that is in a nice area and close to the arena. I do not want to be on the south side hood area. I also would like to be near bars/clubs, fitness centers, etc. I also have a 35 lb bulldog that will be traveling with me.

1 vote Share Flag Moving in Chicago

Answers

7
Sean,

$750 is a tight budget in Chicago. Google maps can tell you where the bars/clubs and fitness centers are. You can also check yelp for reviews of those establishments. Do you have a pitbull or a bulldog? Some buildings have breed restrictions.

Best of luck,

Ivan Sagel
312.515.7823
Ivan@atproperties.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 9, 2013
HILARIOUS!

No professional who values their license is going to answer this question affirmatively. And any agent who caters to your request without making some sort of disclosure as to their duty to NOT entertain your BLATANT request to steer, as my colleagues have mentioned, are doing themselves a disservice and if you were a 'tester' are definitely in hot water. So, errr, ummmm . . . I’d suggest you check out the Chicago Tribune’s resource for crime statistics and come to your own conclusion on the neighborhood that will suit you best; I’ve seen it and it’s awfully detailed. The Red Eye also has a homicide tracker that tracks them according to address.

To boot, at least from an experienced agent's stand point, I already know that: the closer you are to the United Center, the less likely you are to find a unit in your stated price range. To further demonstrate my point, for my own (and consequently, your) research, I went ahead and searched the market (the MLS, up to $799) and my results were as follows:

w/ in one mile of 1901 W. Madison - 3 properties
w/ in 2 miles of " " - 5 properties
w/in 3 miles of " " - 13 properties
w/in 4.5 miles of " " - 21 properties

I have an apartment for rent that is 4.3 miles away, via Google, a 15 minute drive. It’s a one bedroom near US Cellular Field (another professional Chicago sports arena, for the White Sox) for $550/month. This building is pet friendly (deposit req.) and I can point you to several establishments in the immediate vicinity (w/ in one mile) that fit your desires to be convenient to.

Classes start soon!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 9, 2013
Normally I think that people are overly sensitive to "steering" issues (the law is very specific as to whom is protected and what is prohibited, but many go far beyond that), but in this case, we are CLEARLY trampling all over steering laws. Suggest you find a better way to describe what you're looking for so your agent can help without violating the law. Best of luck...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 8, 2013
Call me 312-388-5122 Jim I know this area very well I live down the street the dog can be a issue.
Hello! I can show you lot of places that accept dogs, email or call me to discuss 773-392-3638
Dacian Vilusceac,Allstar Realty
Get a good leasing agent to help you out. We cant "steer" you in one direction or other based on any of the criteria you mentioned. Its best to leave that type of stuff out of it when you are looking for places.(its actually illegal for us to ask those things) I wish you the best of luck. You may also want to try craigslist.
Hello Sean,
I suggest that you connect with a local real estate agent in the Chicago area to assist you in finding a suitable rental home that is close to your work and one that will accept your dog. It usually does not cost you anything to use their services.

You can search for agents in the Chicago area right here on the Trulia site on the banner at the top of this page and click on the "Find A Pro" tab.

Best wishes on your relocation!

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty