Moving in Atlanta>Question Details

MrsD, Home Buyer in Aiken, SC

30 Minute Commute..We are moving to Atlanta.

Asked by MrsD, Aiken, SC Sat Apr 20, 2013

My husband will be working at Georgia Tech and he is looking for no more than a 30 minute commute. We have 2 children so schools are very important. We've know Cobb county has some great schools but wanted to know what other areas were great as well and within 30 minutes.

In Cobb we are looking at Marietta, any other counties with good schools. We are looking for diversity in our neighborhoods and schools as well

0 votes Share Flag Moving in Atlanta

Answers

10
Hi MrsD,

Let me welcome you to Atlanta! As for diversity most areas are somewhat diverse these days, some more than others. As far as great schools go, Cobb and the lower parts of North Fulton offer the best communte to Tech. I will say for several reasons the East Cobb section of Marietta is going to be hard to beat - don't confuse this with Marietta proper and the city of Marietta to the west. Nearby Roswell in North Fulton is another great option as well. Alpharetta farther North had great schools as well but starts to push the envelope for a 30 minute commute - you want to try to avoid GA 400 at all costs.

Reach out to me with more specifics (childrens ages, rental amount, planned arrival date etc) and I can give you more pointed advice and information about your best options.

I have lived all over greater Atlanta for over 35 years, and know Atlanta communities, schools, and neighborhoods well.

As a licensed GA Broker/Owner and an ICC Certified Building Inspection Expert, I provide my clients (whether renters or buyers) unmatched information, insights, and protections while representing them in the location of an ideal property.

Robert Whitfield
Broker/Owner
Professional Buyers Broker
New Home Construction Expert
ICC Code Certified Building Inspector
Advantage Realtors
678-585-9691
RobertWhitfield.com
TheHomeBuyersRep.com
Corporate Relocations | New Construction | Luxury & Investment Properties
Brookwood High Cluster in Gwinnett County. I know it is completely the opposite direction from where you are currently looking but has easy access to I85 via Ronald Reagan Parkway. The commute may be on the fringe of that 30 minute window you are looking for but offers great diversity and one of the best school districts in the state. I have a few past clients living there that work at Tech and surrounding areas in Atlanta and they don't mind the commute at all. Let me know if you need any help. I live there as well.
Hello MrsD:
There are several places in Atlanta that will be great to match the commute and schools but I love to pair you up with 1 of my Buyer Specialists when its close to time for you to move to get more details from activities, hobbies, lifestyle & neighborhood essence to get an overall picture of you and your family. We could do a Lifestyle Summary Report to get the perfect fit for you and your family.
You can email me at: taylorandassociates770@gmail.com when you are ready to get started with information.
I would suggest pre-qualifying about 4 months in advance just incase you need any credit assistance because you wouldn't want any delays when you are ready to move.
Thank You,
Melissa Rutherford
CEO, Taylor & Associates Realty
The Luxury Firm
Me and my daughter and sister are planning to move to Atlanta in august when my sister have her bady what and how will I go by in getting a place to live
Hello MrsD,

Congratulations on moving to Georgia! Metro Atlanta has many great towns and cities full of culture and unity, creating a community feel. Cobb County has been a popular place for many people to move, and it is a great place to live. I may also suggest checking on areas such as Roswell, Alpharetta, Milton, Sandy Springs, and Dunwoody. I would recommend using a website like http://www.greatschools.org to check to see which schools best fit your needs. Good luck on your home search, and feel free to call or email me.

Sammy Thieme
30 Years of Real Estate Experience
RE/MAX All Properties
(678) 936-1607
sam@sammythieme.com
I'm sure you've moved to the ATL by now and have found that a 30 minute commute is an unrealistic expectancy. I live 6 miles from Spring and Marietta Streets in downtown Atlanta and sometimes it takes me more than 30 minutes (on surface streets, expressway takes longer). Most anywhere is going to have questionable schools, so budget for private or parochial.

I hope you are settled in and are enjoying your new home.
Decatur is the perfect place for you. A Marta transit station, wonderful school system, a pedestrian downtown, a small town feel. Check out Decatur and then call me http://.www.decaturga.com
Also City schools of Decatur-award winning system.

Stephany Cross
Keller Williams Metro Atlanta
Depending on time of day and traffic a 30 minute commute can become a 60 minute commute. Inside 285 areas with good schools are very expensive. Outside 285 even if the commute looks like 20 minutes, check the feature on the MapQuest that calculate travel time at certain times of the day. You can also view http://www.GeorgiaNavigator.com which shows travel speeds at different times of the day to see how quickly you can get from your home to where you are going. I would expand your commute times to 45 minutes.

The Wall Street Journal lists metro Atlanta as having the 6th longest commute in the nation at 30.3 minutes. Voters recently rejected a special tax for transportation so the commute will increase over time. Better than average schools at average prices will involve greater travel commutes.

Bruce Ailion,
RE/MAX Greater Atlanta
An Atlanta Real Estate Expert Serving Clients Since 1979
CRS, CRB, ABR, MSRE, CDPE, CIAS, e-PRO, ESQ
Certified Residential Specialist
Certified Real Estate Broker
Accredited Buyers Agent
MS Real Estate and Urban Affairs
Certified Distressed Property Expert
Certified Investment Agent Specialist
203K Certified Specialist
Attorney
2050 Roswell Road
Marietta GA 30062
404-978-2281 Direct
404-386-3682 Assistant Robin
678-760-6266 Buyer’s Agent Adam
770-973-9700 Office
bruce@locationlocationlocation.com
http://www.LocationLocationLocation.com
The Linked In REALTOR
http://www.linkedin.com/in/bruceailion
Thank you..30 minutes max and for the first year we are looking for rentals until we sell our house. (forgot to share that)
Welcome to Atlanta! Have you considered Roswell (30 minutes) Alpharetta (40 minutes) or any of the other townships near hwy 400? Feel free to review available properties on my website at http://fredyancy.crye-leike.com Let me know if I can help you find your new home.

Fred Yancy, Broker
Crye-Leike Realtors
(678) 799-4663