Moving in Pittsburgh>Question Details

Akifburak, Renter in Pittsburgh, PA

Where to live as a foreign family with baby?

Asked by Akifburak, Pittsburgh, PA Mon Aug 6, 2012

I finished my Ph.D. at Bilkent University, Turkey. And
I've been accepted for a postdoctoral position at Lane Center, CMU. I
plan to come to CMU with my wife and my baby girl.
We are looking for an apartment but we haven't find one yet. Moreover, we will be in Pittsburgh on 30th of August so until then we have to look over the internet. We plan for a 2BR (or 1 large bedroom), with hardwood floors (because of allergy) and washer/dryer in unit (or hook-ups in unit) around neighborhoods of CMU. As neighborhood we think Squirrel Hill will be the best. But after a few days, I start thinking that we want too much and there is very few apartments considering these terms, which are not available at the moment. I also need your opinions and recommendations. Thanks in advance,

Benny Smith’s answer
Like everywhere else in the world, most of the time, the more you pay the safer the area. This is also true here. However you will find Pittsburgh as an inviting place with safer areas at all price ranges than any similar size city or larger. I recommend you learn as much as you can about Pittsburgh to prepare. If you would like a guide to begin your search with many links that have been researched and to learn more about Pittsburgh in a short time I am happy to send it to you by email. My email is Welcome to our city.
Benny Smith

There are newer apartments in the Waterfront Mall area in Homestead and Munhall that may interest you. The rents there may be higher, but the closeness to the mall shops may be attractive to you.
First of all thanks for your recommendations. I checked the 61D line and I must say it's really good. I'll be looking into these apartments. If there is any available apartment in September, I'll surely consider it.

ps: I'll be in another project but I'll probably meet him there too. Small world it is.
Flag Mon Aug 6, 2012
Maybe the CMU HR department can help you in finding housing. Just a though, since I'm an alumnus there...

The apartments at the Waterfront ( are new and modern and offer many amenities. They can also be used for short term "corporate" rentals.

There is a public bus 61D that runs from the Waterfront complex to CMU. The fare is $2.50 each way, and CMU should be able to provide discounted (or free) bus passes for you. You can find more information on transit at Taking the bus to CMU each day will likely be better than driving and parking at CMU. And with the grocery stores and shops near by, you're need for a car would be lowered.

BTW: I know William Cohen who is a faculty member at the Lane Center. It is a small world.
Flag Mon Aug 6, 2012
Actually, closeness to CMU is more attractive until I get a car. But I see that the buildings are too old in the neighborhood of CMU. Thus, most of them don't have w/d in unit and most of them have carpeting.
Flag Mon Aug 6, 2012

There are many areas convenient to CMU and yes Squirrel Hill is a good one. Unfortunately rentals are at a premium as they are in very high demand and even more so at this time of the year as students and others would have already signed leases for the upcoming semester at the area universities. However there is usually something available although it may or may not have everything you seek.

Have you considered buying a home? You may even find it more affordable and a better investment then renting. If you are interested in discussing this opportunity please contact me via my bio on Trulia for further discussion.

Thank you and welcome to Pittsburgh,

This is my first time visit to US. I'll be there with a J1 exchange visa, so I'll probably return in a few years. But if I stay longer I may consider buying a home too. Thanks for your advice.
Flag Mon Aug 6, 2012
Call me to discuss your needs 412 596 6035