Moving in Indianapolis>Question Details

Jamie, Other/Just Looking in

Where are good neighborhoods around or in Indianapolis?

Asked by Jamie, Wed Aug 10, 2011

I currently live in SC but received a possible job offer in Indianapolis on Senate St. What areas are safe, have lots of kids, good schools, easy commute, 4BR and under $150000? The age of the community does not matter as long as there are kids. I can handle some minor fixes (flooring, paint) but nothing major (tearing down walls).

Answers

17
In my opinion Far West of Indianapolis near Avon is a great area. The people are nice and the schools are great. I have been living there for over 3 years and have no desire to move anywhere else. And you are not far from anything. Approx. 15 mins from downtown and the airport.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 22, 2011
Your best bet is to stay outside, or very close to the 465 loop to get a good 4 bedroom home in a nice area in your price range.This would keep you out of IPS and into one of the surrounding township schools. Which one and area depends on what you find desirable, and what activities your children are in at school, with different schools having different specialties. I would be happy to assist you with your search for your new home, since that is kind of my job! :) Give me a call at 317-721-2274
Jamie, there are wonderful areas all around the Indianapolis metropolitan area. I agree with a couple people below...reach out to your sphere and see what they have to say. It's not ethical for any of us to steer you in the direction of any neighborhood or town. There are great websites you can go to for information about our schools. Try http://www.greatschools.org for one. Also, U.S. News and World Report has great articles on a couple of towns in the suburbs here. What about contacting the HR department at the company you will be working for? Or, some of the people you will be working with. These are all great resources.
whats a great area (apartments) to live in Indiana Indianapolis have kids, great school, neighborhood with kids and very safe, no broke in area? please help
Jamie, the state of Indiana has a mandate that all school districts must have a REACH or Stretch program serving gifted children's needs. Now, having said that, there is no standard program. Do your research thoroughly if you indeed need to provide gifted education for your child. In my business, I have been fortunate to build a national contact sphere and work a great deal with people who are relocating to this area from other parts of the country. I would be happy to provide you with names of relocation clients that I have assisted. I agree with pretty much everyone who talked about all the great communities around Indianapolis. This is such a wonderful area to raise a family with access to just about everything and so convenient to many major cities, only 3 hours to Chicago. I would also advise you to not just take the information you find here for gospel. Try to find someone in your sphere (friend, relative, co-worker, etc...) who has some knowledge of the area. If you have a facebook page, reach out to your FB friends and see if they can put you in contact with someone who has additional knowledge of this area. Also, any good agent will sit down with you FIRST and take some time to get to know you, your desires, etc... BEFORE they ever show you a house.
Since everyone seems to be voting for their favorite Indy suburb, here's mine. Plainfield is a model community for many reasons. Here is a link to a previous blog post about the parks and trails. http://www.trulia.com/blog/tony_wilson/2011/04/find_the_best…
Since that blog post, Plainfield has also opened the new sports complex for local sporting events and practice. It even has free Wi-Fi access.

Based on the location of your new job, you can virtually move anywhere. For a shorter commute, you may want to consider traffic congestion as a factor. Although the north side has made great strides to remedy the congestion, they still have traffic volume issues. Plainfield is cosistently under a 30 minute commute for most people.

Plainfield also has its own open-air shopping mall called Metropolis. It features a JC Penney, Dick's Sporting Goods, Old Navy, Barnes and Noble, Victoria's Secret, Rave movie theatre, Stone Creek Dining Company and so much more. Near the mall you will find a Kohl's, Walmart and some great dining options.

There are a lot of reasons to call Plainfield home. To help in your home search I would recommend visiting http://www.IndyMapSearch.com to help search specific areas in your price range. I have helped several relocating families in recent years. The best way to learn the area is to come for visit without being pressured to buy a house quickly. Spend the day just driving around. Indy has a lot to offer. We could all give you points of interest in each area so that you are best suited to make an unbiased decision on your own. Prior to getting into real estate, I worked in new home construction for 14 years. I know the different areas of Indianapolis very well. They are all great areas to live.

Tony Wilson
Wilson Realty Group
317.354.7410 Direct
tony@wilsonmovedme.com
Hi Jamie,

Here's the link to how Fishers is ranked nationally: http://www.fishers.in.us/egov/docs/1278957533435.htm Fishers has a population over 65,000 people and there are many shopping areas such that you'll be no more than 10 mins from major stores. Downtown Indianapolis is 25 to 30 minutes. Fishers schools are top rated, as are Carmel Schools. Almost as good are Brownsburg, Noblesville, Westfield and Zionsville. However, both Carmel and Zionsville may exceed your housing budget. A home in Fishers has the advantage of great schools, parks, shopping - with proximity to Indianapolis and Carmel for sports, concerts, plays, etc.

I can make myself available to show you neighborhoods and homes during your visit.

Pete
For the last 6 years I have worked 10 minutes from my house. So, I think anything less than 30 minutes would be an what I would consider an easy commute. I need a school district that has a gifted program and a program for speech. Most schools down here have them but I am not sure about Indiana. I haven't been to Indianapolis yet. If it all works out, I am planning a weekend trip at the end of the month. I am trying to narrow down areas before hand because I will only a few days. The largest city I have ever lived in was around 100,000 people. So I am very excited about the possible move!
Based on your last comments it doesn't seem like you have visited the Indianapolis area. I agree with a couple of other people who have said "you really need to visit and scout the area". There really isn't much rural around Indianapolis anymore unless you get 20 to 25 miles outside the city. Pretty much anywhere you go within a 10 mile radius of Indianapolis you will be no more than 10-15 min from shopping; groceries, malls, hospitals, etc... None of the towns that have been mentioned in the answers are small, rural towns anymore. You should visit some of the websites sponsored by Marion, Hamilton, Henricks, and Johnson counties. This really is a fantastic area.
Seems like there are a lot votes going for the Northside, from those that live on the northside. And I agree it is a good area However, having been a buyers agents for foreclosed properties the last few years I am familar with many different areas in the Indy metro area and can say there is a lot to offer here.
I understand you are looking for an area where your kids can receive the education they need to grow both academically and socially. Well rest assured those needs will be met here I am based out of westside and will say Avon, Brownsburg, and Plainfield should also be considered for their school offerings along with the housing prices that are within your range. I would want to ask a few more in depth questions before I steered you to a particular area. Such as what is considered an easy commute? And what in particular are you looking for in a school? Etc.
Is there a time we could chat so you could begin to in narrow your search to a particular side and or school district? I would be happy to be of assistance. I can be reached at catherine.crum@kw.com or 3173459887

Respectfully

Catherine Craig-Crum
Keller Williams Indy Metro W.
Hi Jamie,

I can relate to your question - I relocated to Indianapolis from Ohio seven years ago and I was fortunate to have an awesome Realtor to show me all of my options. I think the notion of "good neighborhoods" is relative...

Pike Township has awesome schools and homes that meet your sales price expectations. I'd also concur with my colleagues about Lawrence Township and I'd add Avon; however, there are indeed a lot of communities in the Indianapolis area that would make a good fit for you.

I'd be happy to show you and your family around the Greater Indianapolis area to give you good idea of what's available. Please let me know how I can help you make a successful transition to our awesome city.

My best to you,
Keianna Rae Harrison
Peace of Mind Real Estate
keiannarae@pomrealestate.com
317-941-5969
Thanks for everyones input. I guess I should have added that I am not really into rural areas. I live in one now and there is just not that much to do. I think the population is 20,000. We have a Wal-mart. That being said I also don't want to be in the middle of everything. I really like the suburban feeling. I would like to be with 20 minutes of shopping. With three children, I do a lot of shopping! We are also active in sports and scouts. Our activites are all over the place from fishing to museums to sporting events. I would like to be near enough to these that I don't spend all my time driving. Thanks!
Hi Jamie,

Olive Branch Manor south of Indpls, in Greenwood is a neighborhood with lots
of children. It has a pool, playground and lots of larger homes and surprisingly
good prices. I didn't see anything exciting near the interstate in Fishers or
Carmel.

But things change. So, when you get the word and know for certain you are
coming to Indy, let us know. I'm sure you'll get information you can use.

Call if you want to talk.

Marita Topmiller
317.513.4652
Jamie,

The question you ask is very subjective and difficult to answer online. There are many communities in the Indianapolis area that would fit your description. A good approach is to find a good Realtor with whom you can consult concerning your specific needs.

Since you are coming from South Carolina, it is a good idea to visit several communities in this area to determine which ones are best suited to your lifestyle and needs. The Indianapolis metro area is a wonderful place to raise a family and I'm confident that you will find the right area for your new home.

I'd be happy to show you homes in the area as well as tour the schools and explore the various commutes with you.

Jim Jordan
Area Pro Realty Indy Homes
317-509-3688
Jim@JimsIndyHomes.com
Your question can be answered in a variety of ways but when you consider your price point you are best off looking in the Fishers area or Washington or Lawrence Twp of Indianapolis. Fishers has been voted one of the best places in America to raise children. The schools are top notch, neighborhoods are safe, and you can find something in your price point. The access to downtown Indy (Senate Ave.) is excellent especially with the close proximity of some of these neighborhoods to Fall Creek Parkway which can get you downtown in as little as 25 min. Zionsville and Carmel are great areas but the commute to downtown is much longer and finding something in your price point would be somewhat difficult.
As a FC Tucker agent, I specialize in Northern Marion County and Hamilton County. I have been in this area for 30 years and am extremely familiar with neighborhoods that would fit your needs. Please feel free to visit my website and call me.
Hi Jamie,

I'm thinking about your situation. Yes, our children need a safe environment with
playmates nearby. The absolute best schools are in Zionsville, Carmel, Fishers,
on the north side of town and Center Grove on the south.

Commute/neighborhoods: Royal Run in Zionsville is my hands down favorite for
children/safety/price. The neighborhood has many families, nearby shopping
and new schools and pool, playground, lots of space to ride bikes. And you can
be on 65 South within a couple minutes and take it straight to downtown Indpls.

I will get back to you with info about Fishers (commute is more problematic) and
Carmel. I need to do a little research.

Thanks for asking,

Marita Topmiller
Assoc Broker
Prudential Indiana Realty Group
Fishers (north-east suburb) has been voted one of the best places to live in the country by several publications. Your housing goals can be met, and it's an easy (30 minute) commute to work. Contact me for more details. Peter Knight, RE/MAX, (317) 529-4178, peter.knight@remax.net