Moving in Santa Clarita>Question Details

Ckaught78, Home Buyer in Santa Clarita, CA

What is the commute like from Santa Clarita, CA to Pasadena? I'm considering taking a job in Pasadena and moving to Santa Clarita.

Asked by Ckaught78, Santa Clarita, CA Thu Jan 7, 2010

Answers

10
Paris MacIvor’s answer
While I was no rocket scientist, I worked the interior security at JPL back in 1990. This was while I was awaiting my lapd confirmation date. 30-40 minutes. During peak traffic times the traffic builds at La Tuna but is not horrible. Whichever agent you choose to represent you when time comes, make sure they are with a local brokerage. Some that say they are aren't. Be safe.
Santa Clarita is a great place to live! I moved here from Tarzana 14 years ago and have loved it!
With many family members living in Pasadena I can tell you that drive is not bad, but it is long and depending on where you'll be working in Pasadena. If it's lets say the Huntington Hospital then it's easy breezy as the freeway ends right at the exit to HH. Let me know if you need help in finding a home that fits your budget.
Ckaught78,
I just talked with my friend Earl that works over at JPL and he said it does take about 45 minutes to get there from Santa Clarita. He said that it doesn't really bother him because he enjoys having some quiet time before arriving at work. Gives him time to drink some coffee and listen to the radio.
Again, I would love to work with you and help you find the right home whether it is in Santa Clarita or somewhere else near by. Give me a call when you are ready in March.

Neil Mather - THE MATHER TEAM
Keller Williams VIP Properties in Valencia
661-600-2422
neilmather@kw.com
Web Reference: http://www.MatherTeam.com
Ckaught78,
I have a friend that lives in Castaic which is a few minutes north of Valencia and he works at JPL. I will ask him how his commute usually is and get back to you. I look forward to hopefully working with you as your real estate agent around the month of March. Until then, feel free to call me with any of your questions.

Neil Mather - THE MATHER TEAM
661-600-2422
neilmather@kw.com
When compared to the I-5, 101 and 405 freeways, commute time on the 210, on which you will be driving for the major portion of your commute, is much better. From Valencia, as mentioned earlier, it can vary between 35 and 50 minutes. However, do plan to check it out yourself by driving the section during your planned commute time. Another way is to monitor the actual traffic conditions on the I-5 to the 210E and then all the way on the 210E to Pasadena at http://www.sigalert.com. You can also get the driving time at different periods of the day by entering your starting and ending locations.

Prices of homes in Santa Clarita are typically the lowest in any year from November to March. However, these are extraordinary times and even though the inventory of homes is very low, prices are not expected to increase significantly. What could change is the interest rates on loans. During summer time, with relocations and school changes, home demand and prices tend to increase in this city.

Bob Khalsa
President & Broker
United America Realty
U.A. Property Management
scvbroker@gmail.com
661-513-4433
In that case, you are looking more like a 25-30 mile commute down the 210 freeway to JPL.

This should take you 35 - 45 minutes on most days. But as it has been advised, the best way to decide is to drive the commute during the normal times that you will be heading to and from work.

By the way, this is a very typical work commute for Santa Clarita. Good luck!
We live in Santa Clarita and my wife works in Pasadena. She normally takes the Metrolink train from Santa Clarita to Glendale and then drives her car from Glendale to Pasadena. The ride on the Metrolink is about 40-45 minutes and her drive is about 15 minutes.

When she drives from Santa Clarita, she takes the 210 and she normally gets to Pasadena in about 50 minutes. She would leave at about 6:30 in the morning. Her return trip in the evening can be quite difficult as the bottleneck at the 210-5-14 can be exciting.

I hope this can help.
I giess I could have given a bit more info, I am currently looking at Valencia area and would only be going as far as JPL, which I believe is the foothill exit?

From SF originally, but have have been living on the East Coast for 2 years now. Will probably get serious about looking for houses around March with a planned move this coming summer.

This is a serious commute being approximately 45 miles or so. Obviously, depending on the times that you drive will make a big difference.

If your reasons for moving to and living in Santa Clarita far outweigh the downside of the commute, then you might seriously consider moving to Santa Clarita.

Are there people who commute as far or farther than Pasadena?...absolutely. These folks desire the clean air, family friendliness, great schools, super low crime, and beautiful city that Santa Clarita provides them. And they don't mind the drive.

Currently, Santa Clarita provides one of the best values for home purchases in all of Southern California. If I can be of further help to you, just ask.
Ckaugh78,
The commute is not that bad. It's only about 33 miles from the Stevenson Ranch area in Santa Clarita. Without traffic you could get there in about 35 minutes and with traffic more like 45 to 50 minutes. I always recommend to my clients that they should make the drive during the time in which they would be traveliing normally to work and get a feel for themselves. Unless you move to Glendale or somewhere very close to Pasadena you are going to have a little bit of a drive. Santa Clarita is a fantastic place to live and well worth a few extra minutes of travel time.
Before I moved up to Santa Clarita I lived in Sherman Oaks and then the Burbank area. I have a family and we absolutely love it up here. When I drive to the valley or the west side I can't wait to drive back to Santa Clarita.
If you are really serious about moving to Santa Clarita give me a call. You will need a really good real estate agent because the market has become very competitive again. We have a very low inventory of homes on the market right now and a lot of buyers that are trying to purchase before the home buyer tax credit expires this year at the end of June.
It doesn't cost you anything to use us as your agent and with over 30 years experience in real estate we can definitely help you buy a home in this competitive market.

Call Us!

Neil Mather - THE MATHER TEAM
661-600-2422
neilmather@kw.com
DRE# 01479910