Moving in Orlando>Question Details

Joshua P, Renter in Orlando, FL

What area of Orlando should I move to with 4 children?

Asked by Joshua P, Orlando, FL Sat Mar 17, 2012

My office is at this address.
8427 S John Young Pkwy
Orlando, Florida 32819.
I am married with 4 children (three are elementary age, and my little buddy isn't of school age yet). I would like to live in an affordable area that is nice, but also has a good school system. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. I have heard Dr. Phillips is a nice area. My wife is a stay-at-home-mom but would like to continue to pursue her AS degree, which is something to consider, but not going to be the determinant factor of location. Thank you in advance guys and gals!

1 vote Share Flag Moving in Orlando

Answers

18
I am sure you are looking for a good school system for your children. There are a few areas that have A rated schools. One in particular that you might like to look at is Oviedo.You can go on the website to look at the school ratings. If you need the specific website, please let me know. Nikki@floridahomesbynikki.com. or call 21-279-2959
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 30, 2012
Hi Joshua,

Have you moved yet? Either way, check out Trulia's Crime Maps, always good to keep saftey in mind with a young family:

http://www.trulia.com/crime/Orlando,FL/

Ali, Community Manager
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 19, 2012
what do you think about these places, i found them on this site:

6702 Junius Ave
32809

11329 camus ln
32824

they seem affordable, but i don't know there areas and how they compare to all of your recommendations. I do appreciate all the input!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 21, 2012
Dr. Phillips is indeed a great area both to live, and go to school. The schools are all top rated, A/B.
My office is located on Dr. Phillips Blvd so I know the area. Truth be told, many of the elementary and middle schools in and around Orlando are top rated. It's usually at the High School level where the differences occur which obviously you don't have to worry about during the time you will be here. That being said, rental prices in Dr. Phillips are higher than your budget, but I just pulled
up a couple of single family homes in north Orlando (Ocoee area) around $1,200 per month
that might meet your needs. Easy commute both to John Young and and Valencia West Campus. The elementary schools for the area are Citrus Elementary, Ocoee Elementary, or Clarcona Ocoee Elementary which you can research at OPCS.net. If you would like further details, or if you feel that I can be of further assistance, just call me on 407-864-3139, or send an email to: sylvia@sylviapaulrocks.com. I will get back to you just as soon as I can.
Sylvia Paul
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 18, 2012
Hi Josh, I work about 12 minuteas away from you in 5979 Vineland Ste 101, 32819. I was living in Dr Phillips with my folks while going to UCF, I wanted to stay in SW Orange county, so price constraints made me move west to Winter Garden. It was the best thing we did. My wife & I are raising a 3 & 5 yrs old and we love the access to 429, Turnpike & 408, as well as the family oriented downtown & Winter Garden Village.

Most real estate agents like myself specialize in retail. I can tell you that in this economy fewer people qualify to buy; so rental prices have increased significantly. As a matter of fact right now owning is cheaper than renting.

I work closely with a great property management company: http://www.orlandoleasing.com/

Feel free to browse their rentals & you find a good match for you feel free to contact them directly. I hope that is a good start for you, and if you have questions feel free to reach me at 407-731-4009.

German M Guardiola
Keller Williams Classic Realty
cflproperties@kw.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 17, 2012
http://realsource.appfolio.com/listings/listings/3002208b-36eb-4024-98ed-3366c8b1bf5c

what say you about this location as compared to my needs?
Flag Sat Mar 17, 2012
a yard with a fence is desired but not a deal breaker
spacious walk in closets is almost a necessity because of all the kids and clothes
large kitchen with a big pantry and lots of counter space would be nice
I have no pets, so that isn't a concern

I have a 6-Chair dining table, so i need an eating area... if the kitchen is big enough, that is fine.
I would also like a fairly large living room to fit my sectional sofa. I like an open floor plan.

I currently have vaulted ceilings, and they look nice and make the home look big and spacious, but from a HVAC point of view, it costs much more to cool/heat the house... and since Florida is notoriously hot, i would like to shy away from those if possible.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 17, 2012
Hi Joshua:

Dr. Phillips is a great area and I have lived here for 20yrs. My children were your children's age when I relocated here and went from Kindergarten to high school in the Dr. Phillips district. I was very happy with their education they received and understand that is a concern of yours. As mentioned below, getting pre-approved for a mortgage so you will know what you can go up to in home price will be the first step in determining what neighborhood you focus on. Dr. Phillips will also be a easy commute for you to get to John Young Pkwy so that is where you should start your search. I have helped families like your relocate to the area for 17+yrs and would be pleased to help you as well. Please e-mail or call and I will start the search for you.

Carri Schoeller ABR, e-PRO
Charles Rutenberg Realty
cps@orlandorelocation.com
407-492-8559
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 17, 2012
I would greatly appreciate any help you have to offer. I do not know much about florida's rental protocols, but is it still necessary to be preapproved for a mortgage if i only intend to rent? I would love to buy, but i already have a mortgage for a house i can't sell in SC. I owe like 40K more than it is worth now... I'm sure that's a tune everyone is singing now-a-days... but it's my situation and as such, not many options but to rent
Flag Sat Mar 17, 2012
oh, and I would like to try to stay in the 1000/mo range if that's feasible.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 17, 2012
i am looking for at least 2000sqft.
4br/3bth
If it comes with appliances that would be favorable since my appliances will be left in my house in SC for renters.

I intend to move mid June.

I would like to stay away from all the tourism and MIckey Mouse traffic if at all possible. Dr. Phillips seems really close to my work which is also favorable.

I am mostly only interested in renting because i currently have a mortgage in SC that i am currently trying to find renters for, and since I am gauranteed to move in no more than 4 years, I don't want to have the headache of trying to sell another house
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 17, 2012
Oh, and I would like to try and stay in the 1000/mo ballpark.
Flag Sat Mar 17, 2012
Hello i am a retired educator. if you are looking for good schools and good area call Stacie Keller Williams She has a beautiful home in Cypress Lakes Ask for Stacie 321-348-8725 You cannot go wrong in schools or area.
Go with Dr. Phillips, or based on your price point Windermere, and even certain parts of Hunter's Creek are good for families. Your budget is key for anyone on here to help suggest any areas to begin your search. Feel free to e-mail me with the specifics on your search and I will assist you ASAP.

Be well,

Highest and best regards,

Vincent Paige
REALTOR® | Century 21 Elite Home Finders
Certified BPO Specialist
5401 S. Kirkman Rd., Ste 725 | Orlando, FL
Direct: 407.256.8190 | Fax: 407.264.8073
Does anyone know if there are any rental houses available in Hunter's Creek? I hear great things about the schools for that area as well as affordability. Any insight would be great!
There are lots of fake ads on Craigslist I am noticing... People offering REALLY GOOD DEALS for rent on a house that if you google it, you find out it is being foreclosed on or a short-sale is in progress... I hate that!
Hi Joshua:

Follow-up to my last reply. Sorry didn't realize you were renting. $1,000/m for a home of this size will be hard if impossible to find. You are more likely to find a home in the 1300-1600/m range. Let me know if you need any assistance in finding you a home in the area to rent, I's be happy to help.

Carri
Is there an area with good schools, that is family friendly and close to my work address that would allow for a decent size house in my price range?
Flag Sun Mar 18, 2012
that is understandable. I do want to be in a nice area as it pertains to schools and crime, and i don't want to sacrifice that because of rent amount, however, I also don't want to be house poor. If there is something close.. I could probably go up to around 1200, but that would be the most i could afford... I have seem some nice items on craigslist, but wanted some professional guidance first.
Flag Sat Mar 17, 2012
Hi Joshua,

Thanks for coming to Trulia to ask questions for your real estate needs.
You'll get some great answers from some great agents!

I would first recommend getting pre-approved and or pre- qualified to see where you are at $ wise.
That, too will help determine your area and size. Good school areas in the 32819 zipcode would be numerous. Dr. Phillips zipcode is 32836. Try the app: GreatSchools (iPhone and iPad) it's very helpful.

The second thing I would recommend is to interview some agents to find out who is a perfect fit to work with you and your family.....That right there is half of your battle! =)

If I can help, let me know.

Carol Bauza
Charles Rutenberg Realty
carol@carolshome.com

Dr. Phillips is a great area to move to; the best school in this area is Bay Meadows Elementary School. Please give me more criteria of what you are looking for in a home Price Range; Bedroom/Bath count; Square footage; type of home 1 or 2 story; and when are you looking to relocate? Also, have you been pre-approved with a mortgage broker yet? Contact me to discuss in detail at jameswilliamsiii@remax.net; or 321-402-8047.
Best schools are in Windermere. So I would consider that in I were a parent moving to this area
Dr. Phillips is a great area, with highly rated schools. E-mail me directly carlrealtycenter@aol.com if I can help you find a rental home. Thanks,