Moving in Hyde Park>Question Details

Trulia Chica…, Other/Just Looking in Chicago, IL

What are some tips to surviving a first Chicago winter?

Asked by Trulia Chicago, Chicago, IL Wed Oct 17, 2012

Answers

15
It's really not that bad. Remember, the colder the weather, the fewer the clouds. So enjoy the sunshine!
Web Reference: http://Northshoreviews.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 19, 2012
The same way you would any other area...plan for the worst and hope for the best!

Chris
good gloves, woolen hat, and layers,layers, AWD car and good trekking shoes.
Finding a job that is seasonal, and getting a roundtrip ticket to South America, leaving on Thanksgiving and returning on Tax Day.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 22, 2012
Layers .
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 18, 2012
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in 60201
The Winter of '66, there was a picture in the newspaper of a NO PARKING sign in front of Soldier Field: The SNOW was up to the sign!

How can you prepare for that?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 18, 2012
Plan a vacation some place warm between February-April. You'll be ready for it :)
I am not a big cold weather fan - and I have lived in Chicago my whole life. I have realized that when I embrace the winter with a positive attitude, then it really is not that bad. Try and stay busy during the winter and enjoy many of the city's cultural and dining scenes. Also, I always try and break up the winter with a warm weather vacation. I make it in January and that really helps to make the winter go by more quickly!
Cross Country Skiis to enjoy all the great forest preserves for free all Winter.
Take public transportation as often as you can because driving in the winter can be a challenge. Yes it's SAFE. :)

I've lived in Naperville for 21 years - It's a great place to live, please give me a call; I would love to work with you.

Pamela Peterson
Broker Associate
RE/MAX Action (630)803-9554
Just make sure you have your warm clothes ready. The winters here are more cold than snowy for the most part. You'll be fine!
Layers, layers, layers. Buy a long coat that covers your rear. Good boots with fuzzy insides yet water resistant on the outside are also a must. There's nothing worse than ice on the inside of your boots! Depending on where you'll be winter may be worst. For instance, it is VERY windy by the lake. It can blow you over at times. If you'll be by the lake a good scarf to cover your face so you can breath it also a good idea. Also, get familiar with public transportation and phone apps to track your train/bus. If you can avoid a wait outside at the bus stop and stay in the warmth a bit longer inside your winter won't be too bad. Overall it isn't that bad...these are things that I've figured out the hard way but the winters are typically pretty enjoyable here if you're prepared.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 9, 2013
1. Dress for the weather
2. Visit the museums and cultural activities; they are not full of tourists this time of year
3. If you need a weather break, the Lincoln Park or Garfield Park Conservatories are 80 degrees and humid all winter long.

Best of luck,

Ivan Sagel
312.515.7823
Ivan@atproperties.com
Avoid Lake Shore Drive :)
BUY YOUR COAT IN CHICAGO!
lol
Flag Tue Oct 29, 2013
Very good advice!
Flag Mon Oct 22, 2012