Moving in San Antonio>Question Details

vero_maltos, Home Buyer in San Antonio, TX

We plan to move to San Antonio, is cheaper to own a mobile home?

Asked by vero_maltos, San Antonio, TX Tue Jan 8, 2013

Like a little farm, but very, very nice. My husband and I would like to take care of our grandchildren, what do you think? We are in our 50>s.

Answers

11
Jason C Campbell’s answer
The direct answer to your question is YES. It is less expensive.

BUT, and this is a HUGE BUT.. Mobile homes depreciate like cars, are nearly impossbile to finance unless you have a huge down payment and nearly flawless credit, and are extremely hard to re-sell. To put a fine point on it... they are bad investments over all.

Better to spend a bit more on something that will more likely appreciate in value.

But if a mobile home is what best fits what you are looking for, I can send you a whole list of everything for sale that fits what you are looking for. :)

Send me a text, e-mail me, or give me a call.

Jason C Campbell
Platinum Top 50 finalst
Option One Real Estate
210-389-5266
.
http://www.SAHomeExpert.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 9, 2013
Vero,
The things to be aware of is the manufactured home information. Mobile homes have VIN #'s like cars. You can check with the Texas site to make sure it has not been installed at a previous location, if it has been istalled in another location your chances are slim to none on getting financing on it. The other thing is the age of the mobile home. If its too old most lenders wont lend on them, they tend to depreciate like automobiles. The other thing to be aware of is whenthe manufactured home was installed, was the foundation put in and aproved by a licensed engineer to meet FHA guidelines, there should be an engineers report if so. Last think, make sure it is listed by the county as real property and not personal. That can be verified by the county tax records. Take care and happy hunting!

Thank You,
Steve Johnson
Relocation Specialist
Fine Homes International
Prudential Don Johnson
18534 Fourty-Six Parkway Suite 1C
Spring Branch, TX 78070
Cell: (210) 325-1833
Bus: (830) 438-5540
Fax: (830) 438-6730
Email:sjjohnson@gvtc.com

Texas Law requires all real estate licensees to give the following information about brokerage services:

Http://www.trec.state.tx.us/pdf/contracts/OP-K.pdf
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 9, 2013
Vero,
I do real estate mostly between San Antonio and Austin. Let me know if I can be of service.

Thank You,
Steve Johnson
Relocation Specialist
Fine Homes International
Prudential Don Johnson
18534 Fourty-Six Parkway Suite 1C
Spring Branch, TX 78070
Cell: (210) 325-1833
Bus: (830) 438-5540
Fax: (830) 438-6730
sjjohnson@gvtc.com

Thank you very much for the wise advises.
I think we would like to look for a little farm between San Antonio and Austin, Texas.
Thank you again.
Vero_maltos,
San Antonio is a great place to live. I've been here since 1996 (retired from the Air Force in 2005 and stayed). All the information below is good information. One other thing to consider is your utility bills. Manufactured housing is getting better as with new construction, but it gets hot here in the summer and a mobile home can be like a tin can and difficult to cool, so what you would be saving (if any) will be wiped out by high utility bills.
Good luck in your move to San Antonio.
If I can be of any help, call or email.
Mark Couture
210-616-6992
mark@markcouture.com
http://www.couturerealestate.com
It all depends on what you call "cheaper". Here you can find properties with a solid house for the same money you pay somewhere else. Please find your next property at http://www.JoseSellsSanAntonio.com
Good Luck
Owning a mobile home can be cheaper. Since you are looking for a "little farm" it would most likely be outside the city area and generally speaking taxes are much less and just the homes themselves are much more affordable. Things to consider: what type of financing do you plan to pursue, maintenance issues and condition of property, and size of lot you want.

If you need further help please do feel free to contact me.

Shail Patel
Keller Williams Realty Alamo Heights
(210) 454-2904
Nice to have a place for the grandchildren to roam. My kids love to go out to their Grandpa's "ranch". A mobile home can be an option. there are some items to consider. Will you need financing? Will this be your last home? Will maintenance be an issue?

If you do decide to purchase a mobile home, a foreclosure can be a great way to save money on the purchase.
A manufactured home can be a more reasonable option whether you are putting up a new one or buying one on land. Things to look for is the type of foundation, and the age of the home. Newer manufactured homes often have construction with 2 x 6"s instead of 2 x 4" construction which affords you more insulation. The other good thing is that they often have open floor plans that make them easier and less expensive to heat or cool. The down side of manufactured homes is that their roofing systems are flater and can develop issues later on, and if you are in a hurricane or tornado belt, you'd better get advice of local professionals. Out here in California, we only worry about earthquakes!
A mobile home can be less expensive but not always. There are a lot of factors to consider like location and construction quality. For example If you buy property with good soil drainage then you can install a less expensive septic system with a leach field. However, if you buy land in many parts of the hill country, you will spend a lot more money for an aerobic septic system. Will you have to buy a well or can you connect to a city water main?

I recommend that you get a Realtor with experience in these matters to guide you before making any concrete decisions. Good luck!
It is cheaper to own a mobile home than a site built home, however, the mobile home will not hold it's value the way a site built home will. If purchasing a new mobile home, expect it to initially lose value after purchasing it so perhaps something preowned would be a better option.
Although that is usually the case, I don't fully agree with Kelly about mobile home values. I have personally sold 2 mobile homes with land for a profit.

Just like with a site built home, you have to buy the home at the right price if you expect to make a profit later. In addition, when you are buying pre-owned home in the countryside with a little land you will find that quite a few of those depreciated as well. There is no shortage of short sales and foreclosures outside the city limits.
Flag Tue Jan 8, 2013