Moving in McKinney>Question Details

Texas Trio, Home Buyer in McKinney, TX

We are relocating from San Antonio. Love McKinney and the real sense of "town community" it's got. Husband's job is in trophy

Asked by Texas Trio, McKinney, TX Sun Feb 12, 2012

club. Commute time???? This will be a long term move for us. Want to live in an area we can be involved in. We have 3 boys (elementary, middle and high schoo) so schools are important. Not wanting to go the 5A size route, cookie cutter suburbia, or miles and miles of nothing but suburbia. Want a real town feeling. Thoughts on trophy club? Corinth? Westlake? Even highland village.

0 votes Share Flag Moving in McKinney

Answers

13
Good Evening Texas Trio,

Commute time from Trophy Club to McKinney with no traffic is roughly a 30-40 minute commute easy. So with traffic, you could easily gage about 1hr 25+min. There are several nice areas with good schools & a sense of town community that come to mind, but where we recommend would depend on your price point of your purchase. North Fort Worth (76244 zip code), Roanoke, Trophy Club, Southlake, Colleyville, Frisco, McKinney, Plano, & Allen are all great family oriented communities offering excellent schools & newer development.
If you wish to provide us with an email, I'll gladly send you some informational material to further assist you in familiarizing yourself with the DFW areas as well as your relocation!

Cheers,
Angela Moseley
214/636-5674
Email: Angela@FathomRealty.com
Web: http://www.MoseleyandJonesTeam.com
I hope you are doing well. I worked in Trophy Club a few years ago and it is a very nice area. Many nice families and business professionals live in Trophy Club. McKinney is the 9th best place to live according to Forbes Magazine but the commute would be about an hour or an hour and a half depending on the day. If you are looking to move to McKinney, please let me know and I would love to help you find a home!! Good Luck!!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 13, 2012
Congratulations on your move Texas Trio! You are getting lots of good answers and I am sure that you are going to be able to make an informed decision. I live in McKinney and so I understand your love for the city. Some people are used to 1 hour commute and are ok with it and some are not. This is something you should look at and see if it fits into your plans as a family. If it does I have some fabulous homes I could show you and the great thing about McKinney is you get more home for your money than if you move West to places like Southlake, Coppell etc. Highland Village would probably be my next favorite place if I was relocating my family. It almost feels like a different state in Highland Village with all the trees and hills. You may not get as new of a home but you will still have the sense of community and a chance to be involved. Corinth has a very different feel but does have a lot of newer homes. I personally feel they are a bit more cookie cutter type homes as opposed to what you might find in Highland Village. I think people have commented quite a bit on Westlake so I will not. Trophy Club is a neat place and if you are good with the schools then it might be better to live there or in Flower Mound if your hubby works in Trophy Club. There are quite a few people who either live in Trophy Club and work in Flower Mound or vice versa. One thing to realize though, when you are making your decision, is that Trophy Club and Roanoke and the surrounding areas are still being built out so if you buy and then need to sell right away it might take you longer to do so and you will likely be competing with builders. I know you have had lots of offers of help and I am going to extend mine as well. I have a top notch team familiar with the areas you are inquiring about and we can offer you top notch help. I am also relocation certified if you are working with a relocation company. Please let me know if you would like to receive relocation packets on the cities you are most interested in. I can get those right to you.
Tanya Endicott
The Dallas Home Team
of Keller Williams
469-450-2566
http://Www.DallasHomeTeam.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 13, 2012
Hi Texas Trio-

The commute from McKinney to the Trophy Club area will be well over an hour due to the construction surrounding 114 going into that area. I would recommend a location closer to Trophy Club and one that does't require you to get stuck in the construction zone and road closures.

I live in Frisco and my husband commutes to Allaince Airport, just 5 minutes on the North Side of Trophy Club. His commute from Frisco is 45 minutes. He takes Hwy 380 to 35 to the split at 35 to Forth Worth. He says its an easy drive and highways are nice. Many employees live in Trophy Club and they love the family and community environment. I like Westlake and Highland Village as well as Flower Mound, they are experiencing some growth right now but had maintained that small town feel.

You have many options to you including Coppell, Colleyville, Keller, and Grapevine. These can be selected based on your price range and I can provide you with information on the school districts and their ratings. These Cities have ways you can skirt around all the construction.

I would love to help you with your transition to this area and I have experience in relocation. I can send you information on school districts, current ratings for each and data regarding the subdivisions, all by email.

Please feel free to text, call or email if you have any questions.

Sherry Renfroe
Ebby Halliday Realtors
(214) 215-4145
sherryrenfroe@ebby.com
http://www.sherryrenfroe.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 13, 2012
All great answers from the previous Realtors. Although McKinney is a great, great town with a wonderful sense of community and local involvement and activities, going to Trophy Club from there would be out of the question for a daily commute, unless you have a helicopter. There are a number of alternatives however and if you give us a call we can discuss over the phone and advise you with no strings attached. Call us at 469-878-0917 and we can advise you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 12, 2012
Having lived near both areas and knowing how far the drive is from McKinney to Trophy Club, you might want to consider Grapevine or (depending on your budget) Colleyville or Southlake. Keller is also a good option since it is not far from Grapevine. I think you are are out of luck in the area in regards to the 5A schools though. I think even Northwest is now 5A. If you budget is a million plus, then Westlake and the Westlake Acadamy if you can get in. The best bang for your buck in the area will be Haslet and that is Northwest ISD. It might still be 4A but I think it has moved to 5A.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 12, 2012
Normally I would not think McKinney would be a great choice for someone working in Trophy Club. Commute might be 1hr or more.

Most of the high school around here seem pretty big. I think the Mckinney schools are 5a, as is Byron Nelson HS in Trophy Club. I think a lot will have to do with the price range you want to be in. Westake for example might take 1mil, Trophy Club $200-$500,000, McKinney $100-1mil.

If your husband will work in Trophy Club, I would probably start there. If you don't want big schools, you might have to go to one of the smaller towns north of TC....like Justin, Ponder, Argyle, maybe Lantana. Coppell and Grapevine have small town feels to me. However school districts are large and High Schools are 5a. HV is in Lewisville ISD, so high schools again will be large.

As growth happens, the small cities may grow.

If you don't have a realtor yet, give me a call and we can walk you through some ideas.
Web Reference: http://www.teamlynn.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 12, 2012
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
I would recommend Highland Village as it was voted as one of the top five suburbs in Texas and I actually live in this area and can vouch for this. Please give me a call at 214-263-5602 or email me directly at mikesims@remax.net as I would like to share some additional info about this area with you.

Mike Sims
RE/MAX North Central
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 12, 2012
Do you know what you are qualified on a home loan? Which will govern perhaps which community fit your lifestyle?

Commute from Trophy Club to Mckinney could be a "bear" plus the expense of gasoline and tolls. There are other communities you might want to consider with less of drive time and going in opposite direction.

Contact my office where I can further explore your options

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Credit Repair Advisor
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 12, 2012
McKinney is a wonderful place to live, in 2010 it was voted as #5 best place to live by CNN money. It dropped in 2011, though, but still it's a wonderful city.

Depending where in McKinney and where in Trophy Club your husband is working, you are looking at about 1 hour commute. Corinth, Westlake, Highland Village will make more commute sense or you can also check Flower Mound, Southlake, and Coppell. It all depends on how much you are willing to pay for a home, too. If school is very important to you then I can email you some info and perhaps that will help you narrow down on the place to live since it can be overwhelming. Let me know if you have any questions, you can email or call me.

Thank you!

Susie Kay, GRI, CHMS, SFR
Realtor®
Residential/Commercial/Investment/Property Management
English-Indonesian-Hokkien
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
United Real Estate
III Lincoln Centre, 5430 LBJ Freeway #280
Dallas, TX 78240
469-371-2899
susie_k@att.net
http://www.dfwdreamhomes.net

Servicing your real estate need is my priority!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 12, 2012
Your impression of McKinney is correct. I've lived here for 20 years, so I'm a little prejudiced. But for the feeling of a community, you can't beat it. The rolling terrain & creeks help blend community into the landscape. The old downtown is a unique mix of quaint shops and eateries. The pace is a little slower here & the neighbors are a little friendlier.

The drive is probably a hour to Trophy Club. Sorry! He would have tollway for much of the trip.

Unfortunately, 5A schools are the future for most districts in North Texas. However, I have a son who graduated from McKinney Boyd last year and a special needs son who is a sophomore there now. I can't say enough good things about the extremely talented kids that graduated with my son or the caring PALS, athletes, and friends that accept my younger son for who he is.

If you have to have a smaller district, live in McKinney and put your kids in the Prosper ISD. Prosper has focused on developing the best schools possible, but they are still small.

Patrick Jackson
Realtor, ABR, E-Pro, GRI
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 12, 2012
I love San Antonio. I lived there for a while but decided to set-up roots here in McKinney. I agree with you...McKinney does has a nice community feel...similar to San Antonio in fact. Westlake is a nice option if you want to have some separation from your neighbors. Most homes sit on at least 1/4 acre...and have great schools with Keller ISD but is a 5A district. Trophy Club is more affordable than Westlake and has Northwest ISD, which is also a 5A district. If you are not working with a Realtor, I would love to talk with you more about your needs so feel free to contact me at any time.

Manny Cristales, REALTOR®
SFR Certified -Short Sales and Foreclosure Resource
TAHS -Texas Affordable Housing Specialist
Fathom Realty
New, Inventory & Existing Homes
Cell:940-300-6039
Fax:972-547-0516
manny@fathomrealty.com
Tambien hablo español
VISIT ME AT: manny.fathomdallas.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 12, 2012
Westlake is beatiful. It is also a higher price range than Trophy Club. Trophy Club has a lot of new construction right now. The school district would be Northwest ISD. There is a lot of info to take into consideration. If you don't have a Realtor, please feel free to contact me. We can discuss all the options.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 12, 2012