Moving in Virginia Beach>Question Details

acuriel68, Other/Just Looking in Norfolk, VA

We are relocating from Cairo, Egypt to the Norfolk Virginia area. We would like some advice about the best places to live for families.

Asked by acuriel68, Norfolk, VA Fri Jun 22, 2012

Our search criteria are: family friendly neighborhood, easy commute to Norfolk State University and quality elementary and high schools.

I understand that Virginia Beach is preferable to Norfolk in that it has better schools and a lower crime rate.

Answers

11
Hello, and allow me to say an early welcome to the Norfolk, Virginia area. I see that you would like more information about the best places to live, that would allow you to raise a family and I thought I would chime in. According to BLOOMBERG BUSINESS WEEK, a weekly published national business magazine, Virginia Beach was ranked among the TOP TEN best cities in America!!! Coming in at number 8!! School performance and unemployment were 2 out of the 16 criteria used to determine their result. I have lived in Virginia Beach practically all my life and am currently raising a family myself. For more information about schools, the area, and your commute in the Hampton Roads Area, feel free to view my online welcome kit at http://www.besttimetogogreen.com

Talk soon,
Kim Green
My sons and I were in Egypt during December of 2011. We enjoyed it very much and look forward to going back for a longer visit. I have just assissted a Dean and his family who will be coming to Virginia Beach for a local College position. They are extremly happy with the outcome of their search. I would love to assist you and your family for your relocation needs. Please contact me at 757-463-1212 or via smoy@cb-pro.com

Shewling Moy, Realtor
Coldwell Banker Professional, REALTORS®
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/shewling-moy-wong/35/61/474
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 24, 2012
Welcome to Hampton Roads! Hampton Roads includes 7 Cities: Virginia Beach, Suffolk, Portsmouth, Norfolk, Newport News, Hampton and Chesapeake.

During the past 25 plus years I have lived in Chesapeake and Virginia Beach while raising 3 children now 14, 15, and 17. My family and I currently reside in the Great Bridge/Hickory area of Chesapeake. I chose this area for many reasons including schools, proximity to work, and home values. This area is about a 15 to 20 minute commute to Norfolk State using the 464 Highway. My suggestion would be to research the schools, ask a lot of questions, and call a Realtor who can guide you to the perfect community for you and your family based on your preferences and criteria.

Again, welcome to the area and if you have any questions, I am available to assist!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 22, 2012
I would also consider looking at The Riverfront at Harbour View (in the northern Suffolk area only 15 minutes to Norfolk), and in Founders Pointe (located just 25 min from Norfolk. Both are waterfront communities with resort style amenities, clubs/pools/trails, and both have the best custom homebuilders in the region.

The Riverfront and Founders Pointe are in growth areas and the two most successful new home waterfront communities in the past 8 years. Good luck, I hope this helps.
Mark
Well the good news, is if you did live in Virginia Beach you would not have to contend with the tunnels. I would also suggest Ghent in Norfolk and there is many choices in Virginia Beach also. Now is the time however to connect with one agent and get emails of places that may fit your needs, then when you come into town, you will be able to see 10 or so places and get into a place to call your own.
Contact me and let me know how I can help and I will earn your business. Thanks for the question.

Kevin Monette
William E. Wood At The Mall
757-735-2628
monette_55@yahoo.com
You have received many great answers to your questions. Virginia Beach and Chesapeake are very popular for their schools and communities. Check out these city sites for detailed information in reference to schools, community activities, nearby universities as well as the make up of the neighborhood. City of Va Beach http://.WWW.vbgov.com & Chesapeake. http://WWW.cityofchesapeake.net.Another great source for crime rates is Spot Crime.com or each individual city also provides this information. Are you military relocating to the area, if so, which base would you be stationed and for how long? I have assisted many military families with their relocation and understand some of your concerns as I also came to VA Beach through a military transfer over 20 years ago. Please contact me anytime and I would be happy to start sending you listings that match your criteria or you may set it up on your own on my website: http://WWW.AnnMarkley.com. Another very important step to the buying process is to get preapproved by a local lender. Let me know if I can be of any assistance in this area as well. I look forward to making your move to the Hampton Roads area as smooth as possible.
Ann Markley,SFR
Short Sale & Foreclosure Resource
Specialist In Hampton Roads
Exit Realty Central
Web Reference: http://www.AnnMarkley.com
Hi.. My name is Robin Holliday and I am an agent with wainwright Real Estate in Virginia Beach , Va.. The other answers to your question pretty much covered a lot.. Virginia beach has a lot to offer to families .. Great schools, family friendly neighborhoods and plenty of fun things to see and do.. I have lived here my whole life and still haven't seen everything... I would love to help you and your family find a great home.. Do you want near the beaches, bay, lakes..? Do you have high school children, younger?.. Send me an email and I can find out more of what you are looking for.. Hollidayhomesales@gmail.com..
I can send you homes via email and you can get an idea of what our city has to offer... Look forward to hearing from you !
Greatschools.org is your answer on schools.

Are you looking to Rent? or to Buy?

If you are looking to buy, as a foreign national you have 2 options:
A. You have a permanent resident status (what we call a Green Card) and then you are able to have a mortgage, assuming you otherwise qualify for the mortgage..
B. Without a Green Card, and thus unable to secure a mortgage, you will need to pay cash.To pay cash you will need to provide Proof of Funds from a Bank in the U.S..

If you are buying, we have what is called a Multiple Listing Service (MLS), where, despite the fact that we are competing with other companies, we all operate co-operatively to sell each other's listed properties. Thus, I am not restricted to only those listed by William E. Wood and Associates. I can show you any company's listings and assist you in their purchase.

If you will be renting, please send me an e-mail so I can send you back a few questions so that you can describe the kind of home you are looking for. I will be happy to assist you. I can show you any real estate broker's rental listing in the MLS. I have already assisted more than 100 families do this. In essence, I can help you do in two afternoons of viewing property, what will take you 3 weeks on your own, calling individual agents and setting up individual viewing appointments.. Also, there is no charge, because the broker who rents you the property will be paying me a Finder's Fee. You pay me nothing.

I am happy to assist you,
Jonathan O'Connor
William E. Wood and Associate
cell 757-373-9355
joconnor@williamewood.com
We are US citizens who have live in Egypt for 3 years, so I am not sure if your advice applies to us. We are most likely to rent due to time constraints and unfamiliarity with the area
Flag Fri Jun 22, 2012
Greetings!!!! There are many areas in Hampton Roads that meet your criteria. To better assist you, in your search, I would need a bit more information, such as price range, size of home, etc. As far as crime rates and "the best schools", I can send you a link to do that research, prior to your arrival. As previously stated, we (Agents) aren't allowed to make those determinations for you.

I would be happy to assit you in finding the perfect home for you, and your family. Please contact me at your convenience.

Richard Tate
Rose and Womble Realty
757-705-0822
rtate@roseandwomble.com
Hello Acuriel -

I would be very glad to work with you on your relocation to the United States and the Greater Norfolk Area. I lived overseas for six years as well and know that quite a few adjustments are associated with such a move! Please feel free to contact me and we can begin the process. I am a native of Norfolk/Virginia Baech and work throughout it extensively!

Best regards.
Wayne Goodman
wayne.goodman@longandfoster.com
As a realtor, by law I can't tell you the best schools; but I can send you to Greatschools.com to do some research. Nice thing about Norfolk State is it's right on 264 with easy access from just about anywhere. Chesapeake and VB are very family oriented with great parks and sports facilities. Stick to neighborhoods with curvy roads instead of grid roads, they're usually subdivisions. Best of luck on your move!