Moving in 07030>Question Details

Chi910, Other/Just Looking in 07030

We are moving back to NJ. We have lived in downtown Chicago for 14 years and want the ease of living in a city/trendy town and getting into NY easily.

Asked by Chi910, 07030 Tue Nov 15, 2011

We are originally from Princeton NJ and moving back for my husbands job which is in NY. If a place does not have a vibrant center/town it won't work for us. Any Suggestions?

0 votes Share Flag Moving in 07030

Answers

21
Hoboken is a small, well connected city to NYC. It sits between the Lincoln and the Holland Tunnels on the Hudson. We have buses that go to the city, 2 ferries, the train and the PATH (subway). We have a fantastic main street with great restaurants. It's affluent with a median income of $80,000. It was voted one of the top 10 walking cities in America. You can leave your car at home (or not have one - we have 42 'Corner Cars' - shared use car program, on the streets) and walk to everything including the city.

It would be my pleasure to show you around. 201-240-6832. In addition to Hoboken there are other choices depending on your space needs vs convenience. JC is another option - a little less walkable but accessible to the city.

My site has a lot of local information on it that you might find helpful.

Donna Antonucci.
Red Bank! Great town--restaurants, shopping, close to the beach, train line is there too!
Web Reference: http://www.dianeglander.com
Aside from living in NYC which may be prohibitive depending on your budget, I would recommend our three closest urban/suburban centers - Summit, Morristown and Westfield.

If I can be of service in exploring your options, happy to assist.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results
Wow, lots of great suggestions, thank you. We will be in town over Xmas and expect to look around a day or two after the holiday before flying back to Chicago. Our move will be sometime in the Spring.. We have two soft coated Wheatens who are mid sized and city dogs so that is a consideration. Our kids are on their own so schools are not an issue.
Welcome back to New Jersey!!! Well, as the other realtors have mentioned, there are many great towns here. Without a little more information, it is hard to give you a suitable answer. Do you have children and also looking for schools? Would you like a single family home with a yard or do you prefer condo/townhome living? I would suggest you look into Millburn, Summit, Madison and Westfield. Please let me know if you'd like a bit more info on these towns or if you would like to take a tour!!
Gaye Collins
There no other place than jerseycity we call it the sixth boro. If u need help locating the place of ur Dreams contact me 6462694762
Dear Chi910,

Like most of the below Agents, I would love to help you out in your search back to NJ. A lifelong resident of the area, I can help you find a great place to live. Hoboken and the Jersey City Waterfront are your two best options. Being so close to NYC, this will make the commute easy. No city in NJ is more vibrant/fun than Hoboken. With restaurants and bars on most corners, you can go to a different place every weekend. I make the Home Buying process fun and stress free. Please see my latest testimonials below.

Feel free to call me to discuss.

Darren Giordano
BrianDavid Realtors
201-723-3300
DGiordano@BrianDavidRealtors.com
http://www.gioMOVES.com
Dear Chi910,
It would be a pleasure to welcome you back to our area. Please give me a call at your first convenience for us to go over your requirements. 917.892.8977. Depending on the size and needs of your family you can choose from great towns such as Hoboken, JC downtown, Weehawken that are only 20 min short PATH or Bus ride to NYC or can live in other trendy towns like Westfield and have a train ride to the city. Would love to talk to you to get more detail information to help you out.

Soha Fontaine
RE/MAX Gold Coast Realty
56 Newark St. Hoboken, NJ 07030
P: 917.892.8977
SoHoboken.com Your Solution to Real Estate
Web Reference: http://www.sohoboken.com

Hoboken is a great choice, but the Jersey City waterfront has changed drastically in the past few years so I would suggest looking in both. Below are links to a sampling of 2BR properties for both Hoboken and Downtown Jersey City:

Hoboken:
http://hudson.fnismls.com/publink/default.aspx?GUID=08a42231…

Jersey City:
http://hudson.fnismls.com/publink/default.aspx?GUID=7f87b725…

Let me know if you have any questions re: pros and cons of each.

Chris

Chris Amberg
Weichert Realtors
Exchange Place Office
251 Washington Street
Email: camberg@weichert.com
http://www.6thBoroughRealEstate.com
Hoboken is vibrant, but how vibrant to you want to get? Montclair also has a vibrant town center, except it also has suburban sections, so you get the best of both worlds, and has a train to Hoboken and busses to NY that run all day.

Please see my money-saving buyer's tips at:
http://www.RealTerrific.com

Best of luck,
Jane
Hello and welcome back to NJ! I would recommend you to look into Millburn, and Summit area, similar to Princeton area. Both an easy commute to NYC by The Midtown Direct Train. They both have areas that are an easy walk to the train and the downtown area. Each is complete with fine dining restaurants, outside cafes and lots of interesting retail shopping.Lots of gourmet take out and market for food shopping. Here you will have the trendy city upscale feel in suburbia with trees and property. Happy to give you a town tour or email any additional informatin.

Carol Eisenstein
Based on what you are saying, I believe Hoboken is the perfect choice for you. I live here myself and there are several reasons for Hoboken being one of the better options: 1. I love the atmosphere. Much like Boston and Georgetown, it has a bit of a college town atmosphere. Stevens Institute of Technology brings that aspect to the town. 2. There are a huge number of first class restaurants, bars and boutiques. 3. You don't need a car when you live here. You can walk the mile square town very easily and transportation to Manhattan is easy and quick. 4. We have some of the greatest views of Manhattan from the Hoboken waterfront, together with some beautiful waterfront parks. 5. We have a very active artist community. And 6. , our housing stock is very varied, from traditional brownstone living to state of the art soaring Loft spaces. There are obviously other choices in New Jersey, but I do believe that Hoboken has more of everything together with a super easy and convenient commute. If you would like to discuss your needs more fully, please feel free to contact me at 201-232-3341. My name is Gertrud Borchardt, Realtor Associate at Liberty Realty LLC,
Both Downtown Jersey City, and Hoboken, are rather trendy areas, though the character of either is distinct and different from each other. Down Town Jersey City consists of highrises towards the waterfront on one end, and more residential dwellings further in-land. The high rise areas are liked more by young business professionals, who would otherwise find midtown Manhattan to be their ideal spot, but rather figured this to be a preferred commute hub alternative. The residential areas consist of some of the older historic neighborhoods and is typically preferred by people who prefer an artsy lifestyle. In some ways it resembles some of the historic Brooklyn areas.

Hoboken is likewise more of a residential area, with some larger buildings, but hardly any sky-scrapers. There is a very high pub and bar density in this one square mile of land, which makes it a bit much for some residence, though others enjoy the abundance of night life.

Please let me know if you would like some more resources, or if you would like to get an inventory of homes in either area.

Amos Elroy, SFR (Short-Sale Specialist Certified)
Residential Real Estate Investment Consultant
Lic. Realtor Associate
EXIT On The Hudson Realty
(888) 462-6573 / (888) HOB-NJRE
FAX (888) 462-6573
Office 201-437-0411

Twitter & Facebook: HobNJRE
Web Reference: http://www.HobNJRE.com
Hi Chi910,

Welcome back to New Jersey. As the first Realtor mentioned Red Bank is a good choice, nice downtown and close to the Jersey Shore and NYC. I would have to agree with Stephanie that Hoboken is a great option, at just one square mile the whole city is walkable and it has a new Hudson River walkway and 24 hour access to NYC via the PATH. Please check out my website for some recent photos, school info and a free real time MLS search.

Other towns in Northern NJ you might want to look at are Montclair, Westfield, Summit and Ridgewood. Best of luck with your search!
Web Reference: http://www.hobocondos.com/
Good morning Chi910,

I too am originally from the Princeton area. For the past 6 years I've been living in the Hoboken/Jersey City area. I think that you will find the commute to be one of the most convenient in NJ with options via the PATH Trains, buses to Port Authority and ferry services to midtown and the financial district Both Hoboken and Jersey City offer a multitude of lifestyle features including restaurants, shopping, and an abundance of parks which makes walking around both cities an exciting time.

If you would like for me to send along listings for you to review please contact me with your specific needs via the contact information below.

--
Matthew Franklin
Realtor Associate
Halliburton Homes
609.313.2993
Matt@halliburtonhomes.com
http://www.trulia.com/profile/MattFranklin/
Westfield is close to the city with an acclaimed downtown, great schools, and train station in center of town.
Morristown is also another possibility. More of a city than Westfield with nearby universities, a community theatre, plenty of restaurants. Please feel free to contact me regarding either place so I can answer more specific questions. I can be reached at c21newbeg@aol.com or by phone at 908-500-0116.
As Lucy notes, Redbank is a great option!

Although, at this present time looking in Princeton is a pretty return option also as pricing is at a pretty level for this area!

Call or email!
Hi Chi910, you'll absolutely want to look at Hoboken. It has arguably the best center of town in NJ. While you're here you should explore downtown Jersey City that also has a large amount of dining and shopping options plus a strong artistic push.
Both towns are a 15 min commute to Manhattan and therefore ideal. But just a note, because of its proximity to Manhattah the prices are higher than other neighborhoods with access to NY transportation. But none offer the vibrant town feel you're looking for.
Hope that helps! Feel free to ask any more questions.
Best!
Hello! Hoboken is a great option! Let me know if you would like more information.
Feel free to give me a call to discuss in more detail. I'm happy to help.
Stephanie Angelil
646.334.3834
Halliburton Homes , Hoboken NJ
I'd love to help you with your home search. Feel free to email me or call and we can talk further. If you'd like to be back in Princeton its still vibrant as ever and a really great spot to own a home. If you want to be really close to the city Hoboken and some parts of Jersey City are really trendy now. The issue is having a duplex or condo vs having a home in Princeton.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Jeremy Robinson
Prudential Fox & Roach REALTORS
Princeton Home Marketing Center
609-658-3237
Jeremy.Robinson@prufoxroach.com
Web Reference: http://www.JRsellsNJ.com
Have you thought about Red Bank? Let me know if I can send you any information. Great Success in your relocation.

Lucy Korzelius, Sales Associate, CDPE, SFR, ePRO
REMAX Gateway
732-684-1559
lucyk@remax.net
Web Reference: http://www.RealEstateLu.com