Moving in Chesapeake>Question Details

acuriel68, Other/Just Looking in Norfolk, VA

Virginia Beach or Chesapeake?

Asked by acuriel68, Norfolk, VA Fri Jun 22, 2012

What are the defining characteristics of Virginia Beach and Chesapeake? My family is relocating from Cairo, Egypt because my husband will be teaching at Norfolk State University. I am searching for information to decide on what areas to settle in since we won't have much time before he starts work in August.

I understand the VB and Chesapeake are both family friendly. We are looking to relocated to a neighborhood that is family friendly, a short commute to Norfolk State, pedestrian and bicycle friendly city, and quality elementary and high schools.

Answers

10
It is an option depending on the condition of the home. VA appraisals are more stringent than those for FHA and conventionsl purchases. This will be a great topic of discussion and consideration when you choose your Realtor.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 5, 2012
For the moment we are considering moving to Virginia Beach because my son is interested in a full IB program with band. He is interested in attending Princess Anne High School.

Is it a viable option to buy a government owned home with a VA home loan? Ultimately where we can afford to live will determine where we settle.
As a native of this area for 40+ years, I could tell you that your commute to Norfolk from Chesapeake will be much easier/quicker by about 20 minutes (I work in Downtown, so I would know). If you are looking for a safe neighborhood in Chesapeake, try the Great Bridge area. It's ideal for bicycling and walking. Living off of Cedar Rd will also give you three options to jump on the highway - GWH, Dominion Blvd or Battlefield Blvd.

Try Greatschools.org if you would like to find out the best schools in VB and Chesapeake.

I regularly help German NATO military renters. You do not say whether you are looking to rent, or to buy.
Although the German military command is in Norfolk, if they have a family they usually ask to see Virginia Beach or Chesapeake, but their preference is Virginia Beach.
One drawback for Virginia Beach is that jet noise cuts a wide swath blanketing the city with, what we call, the 'sounds of freedom'. If you are averse to a lot of noise, that would eliminate a lot of areas in Virginia Beach, especially a lot of neighborhoods known for their schools.

If we cannot find what they like in Virginia Beach, we head out to Chesapeake. Chesapeake is a farther commute for somebody working in Norfolk, but one can usually get more house for their money when renting.

Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss more the pro's and con's of each city as pertains to your individual situation. Good luck to your husband with the new post!
KK German, Wainwright Real Estate
(I am attaching my search site which will let you search rentals or sales in our area.)
We are leaning towards Virginia Beach because my son wants a full IB program that includes band. At the moment he is interested in Princess Anne High School.

Is it a viable option to buy a government owned home in Virginia Beach with a VA home loan?
Flag Thu Jul 5, 2012
I've lived in Virginia Beach all life, but my father pastors a church in Chesapeake so I've spent a ton of time there as well. For what you are looking for, I would say Virginia Beach is more friendly. Chesapeake is way more rural (no bike lanes.. etc.). So, if you were looking for a big yard, I'd go with Chesapeake, but if you are looking for pedestrian friendly city, I'd go with Virginia Beach. I was homeschooled, so I have no input on schools.
I currently live in Chesapeake, but resided in Norfolk when first moving to the area as a professor at ODU. However I, like most Realtors in the area, serve all of Hampton Roads. The information you are seeking is very broad and mulitfaceted in nature; much too extensive to provide in this type of forum. I can provide you with independent school reviews, city information and other pertinent materials if you contact me with your email address. Information that will help narrow your search is absolutely necessary given the time restraints you have for viewing properties. Let me know if you would like me to send you the materials you need.
Marylee
Hello. I have lived in Virginia Beach my whole life, except for a short stay in Chesapeake. I think these two cities are very different. Chesapeake is a little more rural but there is usually a longer drive into the Norfolk State area. Virginia Beach has the Beach area but also many miles of residential
neighborhoods to choose from in all diffrent price ranges. Most neighborhoods are very close to the interstate highway which goes into the Norfolk area. Virginia Beach also is near the new Lightrail train which goes right to Norfolk State. Chesapeake, however is less congested.

Please let me know if I can be of service to you in choosing the right home for your family. Thank you.

Sue Thompson
Olde Virginia Realty
757-406-1646
Good Morning!! What an exciting move! I attended Norfolk State my first year of college back in 1997 and my sister just graduated from there last month! I am a native of the area and I currently reside in Chesapeake where there are beautiful neighborhoods, parks, and nike trails. My office is a few miles from Norfolk State and my hsubands office is actually off the same road as Norfolk State. We live in Chesapeake because the schools are great and it takes us 20 minutes to get to work. Im happy to help you with any questions you may have, and also to help you find a great place to live. You can contact me directly at: Barbara@MilitaryRelocationTeam.com or via phone 757 581-2722.

Best wishes with your move! What a huge change in your lives! I know you'll enjoy our area. Its a lovely place to live!
Hi and Welcome to our area - I'm sure you are going to enjoy it here - both Virginia Beach and Chesapeake are great places to live and raise a family.

Both of these cities have very large footprints and provide "city", suburb and rural communities to choose from. Your question is a bit difficult to answer because of this. You can find a bit more "tourist" attractions in Virginia Beach as it is internationally accaimed.

I would suggest you develop a relationship with a professional REALTOR, have several telephone conversations until you can make the trip here. This professional can learn more about your specific needs and wants and provide you personalized information to help you determine which is best for you.

Reaching out to someone willing to spend a little time with you, who might be willing to take virtual tour pictures of areas and provide verifiable facts about specific areas in the cities can make this move much smoother for you.

Naturally, I would love to help!
You may find larger lots and newer homes in north eastern Chesapeake. May I set up a market search for you?