Moving in Austin>Question Details

Sonia, Renter in San Jose, CA

Relocating to Austin - need advice on residency rules and neighborhoods

Asked by Sonia, San Jose, CA Fri Jun 22, 2012

Hi. We are originally from Houston,have lived in northern California for the past 12 yrs, and are moving to Austin this summer. We have some questions related to establishing Texas residency for college tuition purposes (our son plans to attend UT in Fall 2013). Can we establish residency just by purchasing a home, or do we have to have lived in the home for 12 months? Can the residency rule be met by renting for 12 months instead of buying? I have contacted the college and Texas govt website - the answers were not too clear. Also, we need help in trying to determine which neighborhoods to look at. Criteria: decent commute to downtown, somewhat newer construction home, safe neighborhood, and the last criterion (although might sound silly to some).. is a neighborhood with minimal inside pests (I specifically abhor scorpions and tree roaches inside). Local pest control co said no pier/beam, no "recent construction" and not close to dry, rocky areas. Thanks for any advice! Sonia

0 votes Share Flag Moving in Austin

Answers

7
Betina Foreman’s answer
Dear Sonia,
Welcome home to Texas! As far as residency I think that topic is covered below. As for the critter issue, I would contact Jan Peterson with One Spot Pest Control. Jan's number is (760)622-8290. He provides a great service and is very knowledgable about removing or preventing all kinds of pests. I wish you luck!
Betina
I am with you on not having pests around. We had some problems with termites in the past and it was not fun to deal with. The best thing we did was call in someone as soon as we knew we had a problem to hopefully nip it in the bud.
Michael Foster http://www.heritagepestcontrolma.com/Residential-Pest-Contro…
Sonia, I've helped many UT/college students move to Austin and gain residency simply by purchasing a property here, and showing proof of ownership(HUD1 Closing Statement, for example). You may have to get a Texas drivers license as well or some other form of documentation, but I can always check on that for you directly from the University on Monday.
As far as pests, more established neighborhoods will have less as you've heard, as areas under construction have a tendency to disrupt and displace many pests as you have heard. A good pest control company is also recommended and you can even do it yourself in most cases. I treat my own home and have had very few unwanted guests!
As far as neighborhoods I would recommend, I would need to speak with you and get some more details such as price range, et cetera. If you're not yet working with a realtor and would like some excellent free professional representation, please contact me and I will be happy to guide you through the process from start to finish. I have a great team of Lenders, Inspectors, and Title people at my disposal.
Feel free to click on my photo, review my Credentials and Client Testimonials, and contact me if you like to further discuss your situation. Thanks, Joe Jarusinsky, Keller Williams Realty, Realtor/Master Instructor, 512-261-4415
I know law students that buy a $2000 acre of land in west texas to establish residency to serious buyers who pay cash on a condo downtown and get the last 2 years as residents. in law school this means about $40K savings.
Sonia, you can establish residency by just moving here, getting a new driver's license and licensing your car in Texas. I'm not aware of any length of residency requirements for your question, but will do some research and update here if I find a definitive answer. As for the pests, the pest control company was correct. Newer construction areas are always rife with pests that haven't moved out of the neighborhood yet. However, hiring a good pest control company to do regular treatments keeps it to an absolute minimum. I've had clients that moved here from Houston that said Austin was "way better" in this respect.

As for questions regarding neighborhoods, there are a lot of them! Best to discuss them on a case by case basis, rather than trying to define a community as diverse as Austin by simplistic discussions of what "good" neighborhoods are. It's more in the eye of the beholder than anything that is generic.

Feel free to contact me anytime to discuss any questions you have, and if you would like more information regarding Austin I'd be happy to send you a relocation package.
It is my understanding that residency rules dictate that you maintain a domicile for 12 months prior to the year in which your dependent is applying. You are allowed to temporarily leave the home but it is to establish an intent to return, and continue paying taxes. Renting is not establishing residency, as far as I know. As far as neighborhoods, there are are dozens of wonderful options. Most of which do not have infestation problems, Personally I live in the Texas Oaks subdivision, it is just south of Slaughter which is farther from town than I may want to be if I were attending UT again, but the prices are wonderful, we have a 300 acre park at the dead end of my street, and best of all no bugs in the house! We do not use pest control. When we first relocatted to Texas we moved farther off the beaten path... our home was full of scorpions! I suggest you buy closer to town than I if it is in the interest of your childs commute. There are wonderful homes very near the campus for sale at great prices. The market is picking up here, Sellers have had the upper hand these past few weeks but the interest rates are in favor of the buyer. I'd be happy to speak more to you about Austin! Have a great day!
Downtown will be your best bet. I've lived there for 4 years, and not one roach or scorpion. Thank Goodness! There are great new buildings on the East Side as well. Minimal trees, means minimal tree roaches. Your pest control contact is absolutely correct.

Because it is so vague, I would contact these people:

Student Services Division
Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board
PO Box 12788
Austin TX 78711-2788
(512) 427-6387
(800) 242-3062, ext. 6387
e-mail: grantinfo@thecb.state.tx.us

If you need any additional help, feel free to reach out. Downtown and Central Austin are my specialties.

Best, Charles
512.914.0183