Moving in Raleigh>Question Details

Devin Nagel, Both Buyer and Seller in Buffalo, NY

Raleigh schools and buying a home....

Asked by Devin Nagel, Buffalo, NY Thu Mar 26, 2009

My family will be moving to Raleigh in June And will be staying with my brother in law for a few months...in order to not have my kids change schools three times in a years time, is there an area where I can get a home for 175000-225000 and be both in the Root and Daniels school zones so our kids don't have to switch schools mid year?

0 votes Share Flag Moving in Raleigh

Answers

7
I'm assuming you want to stay near your brother in law. If not, I would suggest you stay open to various school districts and areas, especially considering what you want to spend for a home. You may need to alter your search area to include homes closer to your target price. As an example, Willow Springs Elementary is a highly rated school but is south of Raleigh, and in fact you'll find a number of great schools in Johnston county.

We bought a 2000 sq ft 3 br/2ba 2 car gar home on about 3/4 of an acre, put about $25K into it and we're selling it for just over $200K. You can find many such homes if you're willing to expand your search area. Work with good, knowledeable realtors and check ALL of your options before you decide. It's a buyer's market in most of the areas in and around Raleigh, so you should get a very good deal.

Hi Devin,

I actually have a friend who lives here that was originally from Buffalo... I 'm not sure if I could handle being around that much snow :) Here, we generally don't get more than a few inches a year--but just to warn you, things basically "shut down" with snowy/icy conditions... haha. School can be cancelled sometimes with just the threat of winter weather.

After having taught in Wake Co. Public Schools for 12 years before going into real estate, I have a lot of insight into the school system. Wake Co. has pretty high standards for student achievement and the influx of new residents is adding to growth, which has to be managed by moving target groups of students at times to help balance the ratio of free and reduced lunch students in each school. Ironically, it seems that the only way to guarantee that your child will remain in the same school until they "graduate" is to have them in private school... or perhaps apply to a magnet school. You could possibly be able to find a rental home for a while in that school's attendance area, but I haven't done a search for those as of yet.

If you'd like more information on area schools, you can go to ncreportcards.org and look for schools in Wake Co. That will give you more insight into the schools. It's also a good idea to set up a tour of the schools so that you get a feel for what it's like there. We had parents do that quite often where I used to teach. You can also try http://www.greatschools.net for more info.

Please let me know if you'd like me to do a search for you. I can also provide you a list of the top appreciating subdivisions by area. Also, check out the schools & neighborhoods in Cary and Apex (which are only 10-20 min. from Raleigh).

Have a great evening! Please call me if I can help in any way.
I know the reassignment issue seems confusing, but to my knowledge, and as a former high school teacher in Wake County, students are never reassiged in the middle of a year. With the growth of the area and new schools added each year it makes reassignment necessary. There are many great schools in Wake County and my suggestion would be to contact, not only administration for that particular school, but also the PTA president and find out the degree of parent involvement. Schools constantly change, as do their "scores", but with a lot of parent involvement the experience for your children is far greater. As to the housing in those school boundaries, they currently are on the market at a low of $309k - well over $1,000,000 for single family detached. I would love to talk with you about your housing options and guide you in your school concerns as I know this market and schools well. This is a great area to live and a great time to buy!
Devin,

I hope that you enjoy North Carolina as much as my family has! We have enjoyed every minute of our decision to relocate to such a friendly area. I understand how stressful a long distance move can be; especially if you have children.

However, it is important to let you know that because this is such a great place to live there is a high number of people who decide to move to Wake county. Due to this fact, we are consistantly opening new schools. I caution you against choosing your home based on a specific school, because "re-zoning" is a common experiance.

I did complete a home search for you based on your specified characteristics of Root elementary school and Daniels middle school. The price range of homes that are zoned for these 2 schools began at $279,900 and went up to 4.5 million.

I would be glad to provide you with additional information on other home options close by. Please feel free to contact me directly or through my website.

Best of luck to you and your family.

Krista Abshure
(919)753-6518
Hi Devin,
There are some really great options out here in your price range. Currently, statistics show that most homes in the Triangle that are moving quickly are in this price range. We are seeing alot of first time homebuyers taking advantage of the $8000 tax credit and mortgage rates that are at historical lows.
I'm with Fonville Morisey Realty. As for market share, we are number one in the Triangle. We also have a world-renowned relocation department . If you'd like some assistance, please don't hesitate to call me at 919-740-2451.
Hi Devin
Unfortunately those school zones , all the properties currently on the market start at $279,000 for a 2 bdrm 2 ba condo. I have an alternative solution if you would like to contact me directly I will be happy to discuss it further.
Thanks, Michael
Web Reference: http://www.colvinm.hpw.com
I'm happy to speak with you about homes in that area - there are lots of options in that area. Happenstancially, I've helped a family from Buffalo into their first home in December and just last weekend got another client from Buffalo under contract for a home in Raleigh, too. Please do let me know how I can assist 'cause you're gonna *love* our winters!