Moving in Pittsburgh>Question Details

Sarah, Home Buyer in Regent Square, Pitts...

Possibly moving to Pittsburgh w/3 kids. Looking for neighborhood great for kids, family oriented, community feel. Better school districts are a must

Asked by Sarah, Regent Square, Pittsburgh, PA Tue Feb 8, 2011

Would really desire a basement....most likely a suburb so we could have a yard for the kids, which we don't have currently....2 car garage is a must, but school districts need to be good. Suggestions welcome, Thanks!

Answers

25
Meryl Neiman’s answer
Hi Sarah!

I think a lot depends on where you and/or your spouse are working. I have two school aged children myself and live in the East End. My husband works in Oakland and certain suburbs would make his commute time untenable for us as a family. I love the city and am very familiar with the area's school options.

Another popular option is the Fox Chapel/ O'Hara area. That has a much different feel than the city -- more rural, houses have more land typically and are farther apart, much less within walking distance -- but offers a wonderful school district and, depending on what street you choose, a manageable commute. The North Hills has several neighborhoods that you also might want to consider.

If you are thinking of any of the city's East End neighborhoods (think Washington DC's Georgetown area, but much smaller scale), you might want to check out my website at http://www.picturingpittsburgh.com. I have information about the neighborhoods and easy map based searching so you can see where available homes are located.

Good luck with your search! If you have any questions or would like a local tour, feel free to give me a call.

Meryl

Meryl Neiman
Howard Hanna Squirrel Hill
412 606-0408
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 9, 2011
Hi Sarah, It depends on where you would be working, One area to consider in the North Hills McCandless area. If you work downtown or in Cranberry you are 20 min to either of those 2 locations, a Basement and a 2 car garage should not be an issue in this area. The School's in the area are very good. North Allegheny is ranked nationally almost every year. There are many parks in the area, one being North park which offers fishing, boating, picnic areas, horse riding,skating rinks and other family activities.
There are also several gyms in the area YMCA's and youth sports leagues to choose from for the kids. I have 3 kids my self and that was the deciding factor on where I wanted to live. I'd be happy to show you and your family around the area or answer any questions you may have.
Thank you.
Laurie Melle

http://www.northwood.com/Agents/Laurie__Melle/?search=true&a…
Any move can be stressful on you and your family. Even though this is an older question, it raises a good point. Use a realtor to help you transition from one area to another. We know the areas and can address your questions and concerns before you begin your search.
Hi! I'm Joe with a house for sale in the suburbs of Pittsburgh. You've probably viewed my home on Trulia. Great location and plenty for the kids. Please call me direct at 412-779-6957. I can answer any questions that you may have.
Hi, Sarah. I raised 3 kids and live and work in South Hills. There are many great communities in this area with affordable homes with yards. We have numerous parks too! We have several highly rated school districts here. We also have the "T" (subway line) with easy access to the city. You would love it here. Good luck in your search. Feel free to call me if you need assistance.

Ronald Loncharich

Coldwell Banker Real Estate
South Hills Office
1630 Washington Rd. Pittsburgh, PA 15241

ron.loncharich@pittsburghmoves.com

412-580-3005 Cell
Hi Sarah,

My name is Rich Vargo and I am a certified relocation specialist. My office is in Squirrel Hill but I offer a vast knowledge of all of Allegheny County and beyond. I can provide you with several websites that will help you find the right school district. Of course, I am very aware of the highest rated districts. Your choice of suburb locations will help with the 2 plus car garage requirement.

My best suggestion is that we have a conversation...on the phone, online or other means....where I can answer your questions directly. As I said, I am a certified relo specialist and would love to help you.

Feel free to call/tect/email me at your convenience. My website is also below...there is a difference in Realtors, I look forward to showing you why I would be a great choice to assist you.

Rich Vargo
Coldwell Banker
412 596 7170
Rich.vargo@pittsburghmoves.com
My husband has been relocated to the Pittsburgh area and I'm moving this summer with my 10 year old son. I'm trying to decide between Sewickley, Sewickley Hills and the Wexford area which includes Franklin Park and Marshall. Please help! Not sure what the difference is between the two. We're looking for a great school district, family oriented, kids in the neighborhood type of place. My husband works in Beaver so we're trying to stay as close as possible for him but without sacrificing quality of schools.
You should check out http://leavingpittsburgh.com first. There are some great and not so great stories about pittsburgh and why people are leaving town. Pittsburgh is an awesome place.. but you see from reading the posts that it's not for everyone.
Hello Sahara,

My name is Cindy Moran, I am a Realtor with Watson Realty Corp. We have local affliates Nationally and Internationally. If you want a "one stop~one shop Agency, please call me direct 352-243-7374 ext 1407.

We have all the answers to your questions as we have a relocaston department specializing in this type of matter.

Please contact me direct and I will refer you directly to someone you may speak with that can offer assistance and resolve your worries.

Thank you for the opportunity to assist you in resolvement of your Real Estate needs and delemma's.

Cindy Moran Realtor

Watson Realty Corp
1390 N Hancock Rd
Clermont, Fl 34711
352-243-7374 ext 1407
Have you found your neighborhood yet, Sarah?

We have a different approach to selling homes in Allegheny County.
Web Reference: http://youreasyhomesale.com
Hi Sarah,

I have a few suggestions for you, are you still planning on making this move and do you still need information?

Thanks!
Rich Vargo
Coldwell Banker, Pittsburgh
412.596.7170
Good Morning Sarah,
I see you have gotten some positive feedback. If you would like we can take this one step further with a specific neighborhood report that is available through Prudential Realty, Searching for the home that suits all of your needs is work. I am here to go the extra mile for you and your family.
I would suggest you check out several sources that can give you good information on Pittsburgh area neighborhoods. Once you have narrowed down where you want to look then you can get in touch with an agent that can help you find the perfect home.

http://www.greatschools.org
http://pittsburghcityliving.com
http://www.optimalhomelocation.com/
http://www.bestpittsburghhomes.com/interiorpages/relocating.php

Hope they help.
I don't know your requirements for work location, but please do not discount the Westmoreland County area, east of Pittsburgh. Great schools in the Norwin School District, lots of beautiful homes and North Huntingdon/Irwin is centrally located between Pittsburgh and Greensburg.

Mary Lou Triggiani Rothwell, Realtor
Howard Hanna Norwin
Judging from your profile - if you're currently visiting or renting in Regent Square, I'd strongly suggest using that as your base and exploring some of the many good suggestions offered thus far. As they show, there are desirable ares to be found in every direction from the city proper, regardless of whether you want new construction or older homes with period detail and everything in between.

I'd also urge you to compare how far your money will go in each of the areas you're considering. Like Pittsburgh's city neighborhoods, you may be quite surprised by what $ buys in one area suburb versus another. The great thing about Trulia and most real estate broker sites is that you can easily set your budget and minimum house requirements and compare from there. Good luck to you and your family.
Hi Sarah,
As mentioned from other Agents, the Pittsburgh area has numerous communities with fine school districts. If your estimated commute to/from work, commute to schools and amentities, price range of the home you are looking for will help narrow your search. Taxes also vary in different communities as well as counties (counties outside of Allegheny generally have lower taxes).

Best of Luck with your search! I would be happy to be of further assistance.
Sarah
Like most agents in this area, I would love to help you and your family locate the right home. Surely you did not mean to. But the way you worded your question could get an agent in court for breaking the fair housing laws. Pittsburgh is a large area with good to better schools all over the area. Knowing a work location or other central point makes it easier to provide statistical data that matters. No one agent can support all the areas. Also it is a clear violation of the fair housing laws, to offer one school as better than another for a particular person, this is referred to as steering to suggest one is simply better than another for a particular family status. However if you are looking for schools with a certain level of test scores, that is allowed and encourgaged. Other factual points like providing national test scores, student teacher ratios etc your agent can help with those. I will gladly provide these and more if you like. Keep in mind that an person who will blindly break the law for you may just as easily do the same against you.
Benny Smith, Realtor, 412-498-4868
Sarah,

The Pittsburgh area by many studies is (one of) America's most livable. There are many fine communities to live in and call home. I suggest you try to stay reasonably close to where you are working. You will have less time on the road and more time to spend with family, friends, and the things you like to do.

As mentioned by other agents there are Internet sites that will give you insight into the different communities, school systems, home price ranges, etc. Most homes in South Western Pennsylvania do have basements, nice yards and 2 car garages are more common in the suburbs.

If price is a concern, the East Suburbs have many fine communities, good school systems and you get more home for your dollar. But it still comes down to convenience... where do you work.

Good luck and enjoy to the Burgh.
Blair
If you plan to work in or visit the city of Pittsburgh often you should live in north of Pittsburgh. The northern townships offer the only TUNNEL free access to the city. This is a big plus, the fastest and easiest commute to work, sports, theater or dining. Also the north has several of the top schools in the state. The Linda Honeywill Team specializes in North of Pittsburgh. Come visit the beautiful north Pittsburgh neighborhoods.
See visual tours of all Linda Honeywill’s northern homes at: http://www.HoneywillTeam.com
Below is a link to the Pittsburgh Business Times Ranking of Schools. Upper St. Clair and Mt Lebanon are high on the list. The South Hills is a nice area and well as Sewickley. Just did an open house in Mt. Lebanon and just couldn't get over people out walking with kids and dogs, such a welcoming feel.

You should really take some time to come in and look around to see which areas suit you and your family.

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/feature/schools/pbt_ho…
Sarah,

One of the best resources around is Coldwell Bankers' pittsburghmoves.com website- click on buyers in the toolbar and you can get school info, crime stats etc,,, its a great tool. I work the entire Pittsburgh Metro area and all of its suburbs. Our top districts are currently North Allegheny, Hampton, Upper St Clair. Pine Richland, Fox Chapel. You can almost mix and match these every year as some of the top in the state and country. I sell regularly in all of these areas and have never really heard any complaints other than class size in some as being too big and others being too small. The larger districts offer more electives,sporting opportuinities etc.. the smaller are a bit more specialized and intimate. I am happy to help and ready when you are!
The PA Department of Education has a great number of statistics to help you out in your school district search.

Once you have target areas, I'd be happy to help you find homes fitting all of your needs.
I personally just moved out of Regent Square last year & it is a beautiful place. Depending where you are in
Sarah,

I would suggest that you look in Sewickley/Mt. Lebanon if you like older/charming homes. Or if you prefer something newer you may wish to consider Franklin Park/Wexford/McCandless areas. Depending on how far you or your spouse drive to work, Adams Twp., is another great choice. All great school districts! I show and sell throughout the PGH metro area and am happy to help. -Jill Stehnach
Check out http://www.greatschools.org for information on area schools. I would be happy to help you find a home once you know what area you want to be in.