Moving in Santa Clarita>Question Details

GABRIELLE0166, Home Buyer in Santa Clarita, CA

Planning on Moving to Santa Clarita.

Asked by GABRIELLE0166, Santa Clarita, CA Fri Nov 30, 2012

My husband works in the oxnard/camarillo area, what is the commute like?
We have a 6 year old daughter so school is very important for us. We are looking at homes in Plum Cayon.

Answers

9
Alex Meguerditchian’s answer
Hello home buyer! May I suggest moving a little closer to the 126 highway that would make your husbands commute a lot shorter. I suggest looking into the new development homes right by the 126 highway on copperhill! This is an excellent school zone and great part of town! Best of luck in your search!

-Alex Meguerditchian
Troop Real Estate Valencia
(661)964-7321
Good idea!
Flag Fri May 3, 2013
Nice! I was thinking the same thing!
Flag Mon Apr 15, 2013
There are some great homes in Plum Canyon, some not all of that area has mello roos, check as this can add to your mortgage budget significantly. How about West Creek area? Closer to Newhall Ranch Rd. which turns into hwy126 going west right into Ventura and Coastal area..and its a nice drive too. Takes me about 45 minutes to get to the beach.

http://www.gallatingroup.net for active listings
Make sure that you find out how much the Mello Roos tax is in advance. I live off Plum Canyon and it can be super expensive.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 1, 2012
There is plenty of nice areas in Santa Clarita that would be an easier commute to the 126 then the Plum Canyon area. That is about as far back in Santa Clarita as you can get.
If schools are a concern I would check into which elementry as well. If you are buying a new KB home its my understanding the kids are rerouted to Canyon Country to go to school which I would be concerned.
If you are buying in the new Shappel or in the St. Claire tract its my understanding the elementry school would be Plum Canyon.
There is many neighborhoods within the Plum Canyon area. Some have a very high mello roos, some have HOA, and some have neither.
I hope you are working with a local agent that knows the area, schools, and best resale. Also I would look into other areas out here closer to the 126 for commute.
Lennar is building homes in the West Creek area of Valencia. That neighborhood has an awesome Charter school and its minutes to the 126.
Many buyers don't realize that you can have an agent represent you when buying new construction as long as they register you on the first visit. I have represnted many clients and negotiated things they would not know to ask for. If you do not have an agent please call me to interview for the job.
Best of luck if I don't hear from you.
Laura Coffey
ReMax of Santa Clarita
http://www.LauraCoffey.com
Hi Gabrielle,

It's a pretty commute from Oxnard to Santa Clarita and not hectic. The 126 to Newhall Ranch Road to Bouquet Canyon to Plum. I live right off of Bouquet and it's not a bad drive. There is an excellent school right in that community and High Schools right around the corner. (all our schools are award winning) Plum Canyon will turn into Whites Canyon and your major roads from there would be Bouguet, Soledad, which now has a Newhall Ranch Road connection, Via Princessa and then the 14 freeway tot he 5 freeway. This is a beautiful and fantastic place to live. :)
Gabrielle - I happen to live near Plum Canyon and to get to Oxnard/Camarillo is a nice ride on the 126, This will leave you a little bit above Camarillo then you take to 101 South. The Plum Canyon area has a good elementry school, my kids go to the High School and Junior High for that area.
I would be more than happy to give you more information. You can click on my website and search for homes in that area.

Looking foward to helping you find you next home.
From Plum, the long way is taking the 14 freeway. Like Steve said below, you'll want to go up to Bouquet Cyn, take a left and go down the road, then make a right onto Newhall Ranch Road. It turns into the 126 and it's a scenic drive from there, which has less traffic than most of the other roads.
Gabrielle, Life and living in Santa Clarita can only truly be appreciated once the community has become your home. Safety, being able to walk day or night without fear, and a clean community are just the tip of the iceberg. This is place where you belong not just live. Happiness, great schools, annual events, private tennis club, TPC golf course, Amgen Tour of California, having the L.A. Open at Valencia Country Club the list of items that make life here special seems to be endless. We're 32 miles from downtown Los Angeles and in the heart of what tourists come to Southern California. I haven't even mentioned schools yet! My wife and I have live here since 1980 so before you buy take a tour with us. Valencia, Stevenson Ranch and other areas may even be your best option on your relocation to God's Country! Call, Text or Email anytime, day or night, for more information or to set up a time to meet!

Your Friend & Realtor,
Tony Lewis
RE/MAX of Valencia
Cell - 661-510-7975
Web Reference: http://www.TonyLewis.com
The commute isn't bad at all if your husband takes the 126 Freeway to and from work. It's a scenic road and tends to be a very relaxing drive.