Moving in Dallas>Question Details

afthabulous, Renter in Dallas, TX

New to Dallas Area

Asked by afthabulous, Dallas, TX Tue Oct 30, 2012

Hi Everyone and anyone. I may be accepting a job offer which requires me to move to Dallas area. What would be the best solution when it comes to rent for now. I am single a tennis teaching pro. Very active and want to live in active area but not too crazy. Less crime, and great restaurants and bars. Any recommendations?

0 votes Share Flag Moving in Dallas

Answers

18
May want a condo or townhome on a short term lease if your situation would cause you to relocate . If not and will be here long term as others have said may want to buy and if you do move you could lease it out.
If you are going to be staying in Dallas for more than 5 years, you may want to look into buying rather than renting. In Dallas, the average home price is $81,000 (compared to $174,900 in Texas). This would make your mortgage payment less than $700 with conventional financing.

If you want to see more facts about the Dallas real estate market, check out this infographic at http://www.bankforeclosuressale.com/wp/article-01074151.html.
Depending on where you are coming from, renting a home is a viable option. You could get a 3br home with a backyard for around $1,000, something you cannot get in most metropolitan cities. I live near the Brookhaven Country Club, which is a tennis community just north of Dallas....close enough to the action, but not too far. Try http://www.iwantbluesky.com if you are an out-of-towner trying to find a place. It's a great source. Best of luck!
Depends on where your job is.....but my first thought is Addison or Grapevine.
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
Hi!

Welcome to the Dallas area. A lot of your questions depend on what price point you are looking at. It also depends on if you are looking for a condo, townhome, or single family home.

Addison is a good area for nightlife and very walkable.
Lakewood has great access to White Rock Lake and the lower Greenville area.
Bent Tree is a great area that has the Bent Tree Country Club with a lot of emphasis on golf and tennis.
University Park/Highland Park have a very upscale population (SMU is located in University Park) and is right around the corner from the Dallas Country Club. (Many of the local parks have tennis courts as well)
Oak Lawn is a great area for active living with Victory Park right there (American Airlines Center - home of the Dallas Mavericks and Dallas Stars professional sports teams).

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to help you. Feel free to give me a call or shoot me an email.

Brian Rayl
B&B Realty Group - Keller Williams Elite
214-601-4192
Brian@Rayl-Estate.com

I would like to welcome you to the Dallas area; please contact me for a free welcome guide. If there are any other questions I can assist with, please contact me anytime!

Michael L. Brownstead, GRI
REALTOR®
Ebby Halliday Realtors®
8920 Coit Rd., Ste. 100Plano, TX 75025
E-mail: MichaelBrownstead@Ebby.com
Addison, Uptown, or Plano. Personally, somewhere between Addison and Plano is a good choice since it makes it close to both areas for you, and there are several country clubs in that area for lots of tennis. It also depends on where you work since you don't want to live too far away with traffic being the way it is. There is a great dog park between Keller Springs and Preston if you have a pooch or two. Good luck!
Thank you all for your quick response. I am still undecided about the job. The office is located in Plano. But I prefer to be where there is not much traffic and convenient to many great places.

Preferable if I be closer to a Tennis Club and fitness center.

Afthab
There are some really cool (new) apartments in Addison which is walking distance to a tennis facility in Farmers Branch, The Brookhaven Country club, which is private. If you're interested, let me know. I'm on the board of the club.
Flag Mon Dec 10, 2012
Absolutely! There are some great apartments that provide you with a free membership to their country club which has tennis courts, jogging trail, workout, restaurant/bar. Contact me for more info!

Regards!
Hi there,

That will depends on your office and life style. Most young professional like yourself like to live in uptown dallas area or Knox henderson Mstreets area. There is also N Oak Cliff area where the Bishop art district is.

You can visit my website at http://www.findyourtexashome.com/leasing to get information on those area as well as property listings.

Dixon
JP and Associate
http://www.findyourtexashome.com
There are some great pockets to live in. Uptown, Addison, East Dallas M streets/Greenville. Also, Arlington has high number of singles.
If you haven't chosen a realtor yet, I would be happy to help you.

Liz Renfro
William Davis Realty
214-924-9676
Lrenfro@sbcglobal.net
Congrates on Job offer! There are several areas that meet your needs. Where are you going to be working? This will be a factor in your residence. I would be glad to send some properties but do need some more info such as house or condo, pets,price range ect. I look forward to hearing from you!
David
I would suggest Addison area. Great place for single folks and centrally located to Dallas and surrounding areas. Please feel free to reach out to me if you would like more info. Here is more info on Addison - http://www.addisontexas.net/
Rent first and learn Dallas areas. Then you can make a good choice to buy or keep renting.

Kenny
Turtle Creek Realty
Where are you going to be teaching tennis? Does the position require you to be near a particular club? I think that the Addison/Far North Dallas area would be good for you. It's close enough to restaurant/club scene and relatively safe. You probably should also check out the Uptown area if that works for you geographically, although you mentioned "not too crazy" so not sure if it passes that test.

Let me know if I can be of further help.

Beau Beasley
Coldwell Banker
214 966-2100
beau@beaubeasleyhomes.com
Dallas covers alot of area including Frisco which is about 40 minutes north of Dallas. Its young (fairly new happening town) and a popular place to live! You will soon see that there are several options for living arrangements that are all within about one hour of Dallas that are really cool places to live! Good luck with your move and Welcome to the Dallas area!
I can help you. I am an apartment locator. Please contact me at 254-722-2551 or ashleylocator@hotmail.com

Thanks!
Ashley Shilling
I would need to interview you more determine what are your best options . Depends on what your monthly budget is on rent ?

~ I Specialize in Dallas Rentals & Apartment Locator

Contact my office today where I can show you many amazing homes work with your specifications.

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Credit Repair Advisor
Multimillion Dollar Sales Producer
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com

Follow me on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/lynn911dallas