Moving in New York>Question Details

Kara Ramsey, Renter in New York, NY

My family of 4 is considering relocating in the next 9 months. Where do we start?

Asked by Kara Ramsey, New York, NY Tue Jul 17, 2012

We are a family of 4, two adults and to kids age 7 and 12. We need a safe, inexpensive rental area close to public transportation, We need to know what to expect about utiliity costs so we can get an idea on how much income we need. Any advice would be great.

1 vote Share Flag Moving in New York

Answers

17
Kara, the most basic thing that most Manhattan landlords look at is income. Most want to see annual income equal to 40 times the monthly rent. So if you make 80,000, the most expensive apt you could rent would be $2000.
There is some variation in the 40 times number both up and down.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 17, 2012
Consider working with an agent of your own; also check local print media for by owner rentals, always verify ownership exchanging any money; word of mouth, etc.; as for the utilities, much will depend on usage, exact size, etc.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 17, 2012
Kara,
You should first go to a mortgage banker & get pre qualified. I find most of my buyers who come in search for a home first want to look then find out of they qualify--- this is wrong. First run the numbers and see what price bracket you should be looking for. There are always home for sale and you will eventually find the one that fits you best.

Benny
I am not very sure about which state or city you are going to shift. And my personal advice for you is try to analyze nature of the city that you wish to move. Also make sure to gather details about the places such as schools, health centers, railway stations and more important spots. As a fact staying nearby all these mentioned places are good for emergencies and your kids can easily go to school, if it is located nearby your residence. So it is overall advisable to get guidance about the city before relocating.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 21, 2012
Hi Kara,

I read your question and all the answers. Before you look or contact a broker I'd advise you try to define for yourself the actual LIFESTYLE you imagine for you and your family. Ask each member individually how they imagine their life to be in the near future prior to the move then the geographic picture of where that LIFE fits will begin to emerge. NY is a great life experience, and you can make most of it by choosing to live in the location that most fits everyone in the family. Once you determine that, the square footage, amenities and all else will become secondary and you will have a much better handle as to what you want and what you are willing to do to get it.

Warmly,
Armen
the easiest way to figure out the area, would be to check prices for 3 br apartments in several different areas you are thinking about, and see what area fits within your budget. In general, landlords require proof of annual income that is x35-45 times monthly rent depending on the area and building policy.
Thanks everyone . Our budget will depend mostly on my husband's income. We need 3 bedrooms and a kid friendly area. Also a place we could have our small dog . Its will be at least 6 months before we relocate.
Hi Kara,

It must be daunting to think of moving with your family into the city. It's a big step and you want to do it right! There are a few things you might want to ask yourself such as, how many bedrooms, whats your budget?, which neighborhood would you like, are there some features and amenities you think you'd like?

Please feel free to give me a call at 212-518-3030. My name is John and I look forward to helping you in your search!
Where do you want to live in NYC, how many bedrooms and what is your budget.
I've helped families relocate to NYC from as far away as Germany. It can be a challenge, but with the right help you'll be fine. I would be happy to send you my rental checklist to help get you started. Just shoot me an email at nfrazier@fenwickkeats.com and I'll email it to you today.

Natalie J. Frazier
Real Estate Salesperson, REALTOR®
Direct: 212.352.8135
nfrazier@fenwickkeats.com
you have to determine you budget, how much you are willing to spend on rent - this will help to narrow down the market areas with rents that fit within your budget. Also you have to be prepared when applying for a lease to provide your pay stubs, bank statements, employment letter and a former land lord;'s reference letter and authorize credit and other background check. General requirement in NYC is that a tenant should make around x40 times monthly rent per year. Good luck with your relocation!
Please call me at 917-335-8569. My name is Erika and I would be happy to assist you. Thank you and good luck.
You have two options, you can engage the services of a real estate agent or look on your own. at times there can be a fee involved with agents but it can also be well worth it.

Chris
Kara,

Please feel free to give me a call at your convenience and I will be happy to answer any questions you may have in regards to finding your new home!

Lucas Espuche
Licensed Real Estate Professional
Home New York
516-302-5098
lucas@nyishome.com
With a good broker and someon who knows the city and neighborhoods well, born and raised here, i can definately help, 718-791-5427 or feel free to email me at Angelan@nestseekers.com best of luck!
Hi Kara,

I will gladly answer all of your questions. Call me when you have a few minutes 646-801-5777

Konstantin
I would definitely start by finding an agent you feel comfortable with. Call several from listings you see and see which one knows their stuff (and works well with you). The word "inexpensive" in NYC terms is hard to define, but there are areas that are less expensive than others (utility costs will be a modest part of the cost, not the determinant of what types of units or areas you should consider). My colleagues advice about the 40-times rule is right on. In general, you can figure what you can afford by taking your total annual household income and dividing by 40 - the result will be what a typical landlord would feel you could afford (you may feel that you want to spend less and again that will determine where you should start looking). In most parts of Manhattan, a two-bedroom apartment will run you anywhere from the $4000 range upwards, I'd say most average 2-BRs in the $5000-$6000 range. Again a good agent can point out units that suit your needs. Good luck in the search! New York's a great place!
Charlie Summers, Bellmarc Realty 917-376-1648