Moving in Pittsburgh>Question Details

spoilme5948, Renter in Pittsburgh, PA

Moving to Pitt w/3 children, what’s the best area to raise a family? Need great schools and where do I rental properties in the area?

Asked by spoilme5948, Pittsburgh, PA Wed Nov 14, 2012

Answers

8
I can't say enough about Mt. Lebanon. We rented here for several years before we bought in the same neighborhood two blocks away. We have two young children. Very safe. Also, very easy commute to Consol.

Good luck. Feel free to ask me for more info if you like.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 17, 2012
Thank you so much! Do you have any suggestions on where I could find a list of rental homes? What about Ross Township? I read a lot about that location.
Flag Tue Dec 11, 2012
You can use SchoolDigger.com to research school ratings that may interest you.

If you're interested in rental complexes to start off, there are plenty to choose from in Ross Township / North Hills, Monroeville / East, Moon Township - Robinson / West (Airport), and South Hills.

I'm most familiar with the North Hills, and would suggest Ross Township as a good area to search. There are relaively low property taxes because of the high concentration of malls and commercial properties along McKnight Road. It's about 20 minutes away from Downtown and Consol Energy Center.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 14, 2012
I agree with Brian. I recently moved to the Pittsburgh area and used SchoolDigger.com to research school. That is a great website and a great tool. I live in the South Hills area and really like all of the schools here. My daughter goes to Baldwin and loves it there. This area is very middle class and I have found it to be very safe. I would highly suggest coming for a visit for several days to scout around the different areas - I sure wish I had done that! But I'm very happy with the Baldwin-Whitehall/Brentwood areas. Very community minded.
Flag Sun Nov 18, 2012
My husband has been relocated to the Pittsburgh area and I'm moving this summer with my 10 year old son. I'm trying to decide between Sewickley, Sewickley Hills and the Wexford area which includes Franklin Park and Marshall. Please help! Not sure what the difference is between the two. We're looking for a great school district, family oriented, kids in the neighborhood type of place. My husband works in Beaver so we're trying to stay as close as possible for him but without sacrificing quality of schools.
There are several good school districts in Pittsburgh. Mt Lebanon is excellent but on drawback is they don't have busing for the students so when you go back to work this may be inconvenient. Upper St. Clair is a highly ranked district but a longer commute for your husband. Fox Chapel is strong and convenient to get downtown and Pine-Richland and North Hills also have strong school districts and also convenient to get downtown. If I may assist with any questions please click on this link and fill out an inquiry form from my website: http://www.pittsburghhomesite.com/contact-us

Best of luck with your move!
Console Center is right off the "T" (what other cities call a light rail or Metro)--maybe a 5 minute walk from steel plaza. If Console subsidizes mass transit, consider using it as an option to get in and out of the city for work.

Mt Lebanon and Upper St Clair in South Hills have stops for the T (Upper St Clair has a parking garage for the terminus that only costs $240ish per year). Both school systems trade back and forth for top spots in SW PA, and some stats say top 10-10 in US.

You want to rent a house, an apartment, or a townhouse?
Thank you for the info! We really need a house or a large townhome. We have three children, an apartment isn't going to work for us. Do you have any suggestions on where I could find a list of rental homes? What about Ross Township? I read a lot about that location.
Flag Tue Dec 11, 2012
Thank you! I will be a stay at home mom until I can find a job with my Criminal Justice degree...my husband on the other hand will be working at the CONSOL Energy Center (not sure of specific location). I have tried craigslist and have contacted an agent (which has yet to respond to me), craigslist I'm a little leary with that site, you never know what you're getting. I just need to find a great location that is safe (low crime rates) and that is middle class with great schools. Any suggestions would be helpful! Thank you very much!
Welcome to Pittsburgh. It's a great place to live and call home.

As for neighborhoods, it all depends upon what you are looking for. Convenience may also be a very important consideration, so first research area's near where you will be working. There are resources on the Internet that are very helpful but you also should tour the area's to get firsthand knowledge of them.

As for rentals you may have to check many sources. Newspapers, for rent signs, Internet sites including craigslist (but be careful of scams) may be good resources. You may need to contact multiple agents as most rentals (unlike sales) are not on the multi-list .

If you do not already have black and gold in your wardrobe you will find it plentiful here. Go Steelers!

Good luck and welcome to Pittsburgh.
Blair
My suggestion would be to contact a Real Estate Agent in the area that you're moving to. They are the experts in that area. Search the internet or if you know someone who lives in the area ask them for a referral or recommendation for a Real Estate Agent.