Moving in Leesburg>Question Details

jason.emma, Renter in Leesburg, VA

Moving from England to America.....

Asked by jason.emma, Leesburg, VA Sun Oct 6, 2013

...due to Hubby's job at the end of the year. He needs to be near Dulles Airport so we've been looking at Leesburg lots. We are coming for a visit at the end of October - any suggestions of what we should look at / experience.

0 votes Share Flag Moving in Leesburg

Answers

13
I have been working with another couple that have just moved from overseas to this area. While they were overseas we discussed via e-mail what their needs were. We were able to set-up properties and view them once they arrived.

The most important thing I can suggest is start communication with a realtor and lender here in the states to get things going.

If you need someone to help you just let me know I will be more than happy to assist.

Beth Seifart
Keller Williams Realty - Leesburg, VA
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 6, 2013
A realtor at this end will be able to search for homes here and you can preview them on-line. This worked nicely for the couple I worked with. You will also need to start the process for a loan and what you would be qualified for. There will obviously be many other factors but these two are the first and can be handle on-line to start.

I hope this helps!
Beth Seifart
Keller Williams Realty - Leesburg, Va
Flag Sun Oct 6, 2013
Thank you. My husband works for Airbus and they are assisting in all our moving requirements / needs but I'm looking for help with regards to Leesburg - finding out if it could be the right place for our little family to move to and settle down.
Flag Sun Oct 6, 2013
Flag Sun Oct 6, 2013
Jason and Emma,

My family also did an overseas relocation back in 2010 so I understand the logistics of your move. I work with both military and govt employees PCSing to the states to the Northern Virginia area. I would love the opportunity to earn your business and help you find the perfect home. Below is my contact information. Contact me and I can show you options in Lessburg and surrounding areas while you are here on your house hunting trip. I look forward to hearing from you soon, Safe travels!

Kim Ramos
Keller Williams Realty Chantilly Ventures
14155 Newbrook Dr. Ste 100
Chantilly, VA 20155
703-407-6384
kramossells@kw.com
To receive information about your homes value visit http://kramossells.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 6, 2013
Finding the perfect piece of land for your family is based on your criteria in terms of how much land you are
seeking. The farther west you go, the more attractive the price and there is definitely beautiful acreage. You might even consider going as far as Bluemont which is a 40 minute ride to the airport.
Leesburg is a thriving community and Loudoun County has a wonderful school system. Good luck on your pursuit.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 6, 2013
Hey Emma,

You'll find Leesburg to be a great place to live. We do have a good number of neighborhoods which have convenient location next to restaurants, the mall, etc. Leesburg itself tends to be very welcoming for those new to the area.

If you have more specific questions about your actual home, feel free to message me. Safe travels!

- Chaudry
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 6, 2013
Moving from one continent to another? That is a gigantic task. It involves not only the packing your contents in moving boxes in order to be shipped over, but it also involves choosing which items to be shipped via sea, air or those that you can bring with you. There are a few logistics companies that could provide you with some framework to plan but at the end of the day, it is still up to you on how you would like to prioritize your items when it comes to shipping.
It depends on what is important to you and your lifestyle. If you need to be near Dulles Airport, the areas of Ashburn, Leesburg and Potomac Falls all make sense and have their own unique vibes.

If you're looking for a community with an old world charm, Leesburg would be your best bet. Downtown Leesburg has many historic properties, upscale restaurants, art galleries and specialty shops. There is an abundance of shopping venues in Leesburg, with many major retailers having a presence in the area northwest of the Route 7 and 15 intersection.

Ashburn provides residents with more of a modern suburbia feel, with an abundance of newer homes, strip malls and well-manicured green space. Ashburn is closer to Dulles Airport than Leesburg and typically more expensive than Leesburg or Potomac Falls. Ashburn features many homes built in the 2000's and has very few older structures.

Potomac Falls, also known as Sterling, contains many homes built in the 1980's and 1990's. It's not quite as new as Ashburn, but some clients prefer this area because of the abundance of mature trees and the feel of a more established neighborhood. Potomac Falls offers very convenient access to Dulles Airport and is at the north end of the airport. There is a large shopping mall, Dulles Town Center, which is a popular destination for higher-end goods. This area is great for those searching for convenience, as it's just minutes from the airport, has virtually every major retail chain known in the U.S. and a large selection of new car dealerships with state-of-the-art service departments. Potomac Falls and Sterling also offer a convenient location to the metro line station in Reston, with easy rail access to Washington, DC.

Best wishes with your move to the US and a warm welcome!

Matt Shultz
REALTORĀ®
Cell: (703) 300-0367
Office: (703) 669-0099
Fax: (703) 669-4104

50 Catoctin Circle NE
Suite 101
Leesburg, VA 20176

Licensed in Virginia

Visit my website at: http://www.MattShultzHomes.com

"Like" my Facebook page at: http://www.facebook.com/MattShultzHomes
Ashburn, VA is another great town in Loudoun County to check out!

Take a look at Century21 Redwood Realty's comprehensive home search at http://www.c21redwood.com/ashburn-va-real-estate. You can narrow your search down by school, metro, type, and many more categories you won't find on other sites.

Thanks for listening!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 20, 2013
Hello and thank you to everyone for your replies.

We've been working with Dennis of Long and Foster and we are close to securing a home in Ashburn.

We will arrive on 30th December :-)
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 3, 2013
Happy House Hunting!
Beth Seifart
Flag Sun Nov 3, 2013
I Emma, I know this is a very stressful time and I will be more than happy to help you out on this end if you haven't starting working with someone. As I said in previous posts communication is vital. I spent a couple of months e-mailing back and forth with my clients from overseas. We discussed what kind of neighborhoods they wanted, commute time for your husband might be important, schools in the area could be discussed. We even got my clients pre-qualified for a loan while they were over seas.

The final result was they got into town on Sunday and we already had homes ready to see as soon as they got here.

I hope this helps!

Beth Seifart
Keller Williams Realty - Leesburg, VA
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 3, 2013
Hi-Ashburn Here! I moved to Sterling over 10yrs ago and lived right next to the Airport. Now I live in Ashburn about 10min away. By living by the Airport, I loved to fly anywhere. One year I flew over 12x (not for work). Many thing happening that might allow more flexibilty around here as well.

I just had clients that relo's to Germany so I imagine you are starting to get stressed out. I would love to help you out. We are military and know about relo's and I can help you out anyway you need. I dont only sell/buy homes, I make sure I can help with whatever I can. If you would like to talk, call me, no strings :)

Depending on your family, what kind of things you do, would determine where you might want to go. I have lived in the NoVA area for over 30yrs so I know the area.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 2, 2013
Dear Emma,

I have assisted several families who have moved from England to the Northern Virginia area and were we able to successfully get them a home that they loved. Of course, depending on where you are in England and what type of home you have, that will make a big difference in how you view the changes.

Having worked for more than 20 years in Northern Virginia and I have had offices in Herndon, Reston, Dulles and now Leesburg. I have lived in Leesburg since 1999 and have found it a very nice place to live. It has a small town atmosphere, and yet is close to all the big city cultural and education events. It is easy to get to the countryside, mountains and river from our location and also the wineries with dot the landscape of Western Loudoun County.

We recently were ranked in the top 100 small cities to live in the US by Money magazine. In 2011 we were 4th in the nation and in 2013 we were 35th. Very notable ranking!

The travel to Dulles will depend on where you live in Loudoun County, but there are several folks in our neighborhood that commute to Dulles and find that it takes no more than one half an hour.

I would delighted to assist you and answer your individual questions to help you in your move to the US. I have worked with corporate relocation companies throughout my career.

My contact info is ginger@weichert.com or 704-864-4643.

Kind regards,
Ginger
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 6, 2013
What type of home, price range, size of lot preferred? I have experience in working with clients building new construction. With additional information from you, I can schedule appointments that would help facilitate your decisions during your visit at the end of October.

Please call me or email me to schedule a free, no obligation interview/consultation.

Julie Randall, Realtor, SRES
United Real Estate
703-405-9165
http://www.jewels4homes.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 6, 2013
NVRE is a local real estate company with great experience in helping wide spectrum of buyers; 1st time home buyers, Investors, and relocation both national and international. We have the knowledge, the technology, the patience, and we work hard to find for our clients the property that fits their needs.
I understand that you are relocating to Northern Virginia and you are considering Leesburg. Our office is in Potomac Falls/Sterling which is 10 minutes to Dulles International Airport and I have been living in Leesburg for the last 12 years, I saw the area developing and expanding continuously. The Dulles area (Sterling, Dulles, Ashburn, Leesburg) is on a fast track of growth and expansion due to several major economical and financial projects coming to the area. We have extensive experience in this market. Whatever your real estate needs, we can address them.
Please give us a call or email to discuss your real estate needs. Our consulting is offered to you at no cost and no obligation; you have nothing to lose, but lots of information to gain.

Email: alkurd@nvre.net
Phone: (703)628-9343
website: http://www.nvreRealty.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 6, 2013