Moving in 11249>Question Details

Jackie Storm, Real Estate Pro in Palm Springs, CA

Move in cost in Brooklyn NY??

Asked by Jackie Storm, Palm Springs, CA Tue Nov 15, 2011

In CA you usually pay 1st moth rent plus a security deposit. So if you get a place for $1500 you are looking at $3000 to move in. I heard there it's more expensive to just get in to a place in NY. So what are the fees??

0 votes Share Flag Moving in 11249

Answers

5
Hi there. There is not a standard for rentals for move in. Often you'll see 1 month deposit + 1st month's rent, but other times you see First and Last month's rent + 1 Month's deposit. It's all discretionary to the LL.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 15, 2011
Hi There,
My family moved from CT to Brooklyn NY, they hired Residential Moving and they were pretty reasonable, in-case you're planning to move again in the future, I definitely recommend them to you.
You have to factor broker cost in there as well which runs anywhere from one months rent to 15% of the annual rent. Some landlords ask for first security and last.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 16, 2011
it's the same if you find your own place without the use of a broker, then you pay first month rent and the security deposit assuming everything checks out credit, income etc. if you use a broker add in an additional month to month and a half commission which is what brokers are charging Brooklyn and Manhatan. If you're going to rent any co-op or a condo they may require an application fee and a credit check fee so you maybe tacking on an additional thousand dollars. They also may have what's called a refundable move-in fee which is generally $500 and is refunded after the super checks to property for any damage.

Hope this helps!
Marco Gomez
New York state associate broker
Keller Williams landmark to
Marco.Gomez@Gmail.com
Serving Queens, Brooklyn & Nassau
Dear Team Storm:

For the most part here in Brooklyn the renter would have to give one months security, first months rent and the fee to the real estate agent which typically would be about one months rent. However, it can be more or less as commissions are negotiated between consumer and agent on a case by case basis.

If I can be of further assistance please let me know.

Mitchell S. Feldman
Associate Broker/ Director of Sales
Madison Estates & Properties, Inc.
Office: (718) 645-1665/ Cell: (917) 805-0783
Email: MitchellSFeldman@aol.com