Moving in Chicago>Question Details

alejandrah89, Other/Just Looking in Chicago, IL

Move from Miami to Chicago?

Asked by alejandrah89, Chicago, IL Fri Apr 5, 2013

hey you all! i just graduated with a bachelor in advertising.. i want to get out of miami, but i know nobody and i would have no job.. i want to move to Chicago because i think its awesome..! any opinions?

0 votes Share Flag Moving in Chicago

Answers

17
Hi alejandrah89!!

Chicago is a great place to live and work. We have a diversity of neighborhoods, cultural, sports, and leisure activities. Coming from Miami, you might find our winters fascinating or a bit challenging depending on your outlook on life. I would suggest this: Decide what you can afford for rent. Rent in the most popular areas right now ( South Loop, West Loop, Old Town to name a few) range from about $1200 up depending on your location. Each area has its distinct personality. If you can, visit Chicago, bring a friend with you and check out some of the neighborhoods. Once you have decided where you want to rent, then live there for a year until you get used to Chicago and get more familiar with its neighborhoods. Should you decide to visit, I would be more than happy to spend a few hours with you showing some of the neighborhoods and pointing out the differences so you can make an informed decision. Do give me a call at 312 933 4121 when you are ready.
The Cuban food is better there.

The Mexican food is better here.

Watching people on the beach is more pleasant there.

Talking to people on the beach is more pleasant here.

Bragging about Lebron gets you attention there.

Bragging about Lebron get you the attention you don't want here.

If you had to arrive in a city knowing nobody, having no job, and with a degree holding no clout, then Chicago is your place.
Plenty of great areas to live based on your budget. Are you living the life of leisure and luxury or do you plan on working here? If work is on the agenda, then try to find a job. Good luck and feel free to contact me should you need any assistance.
Job first then look for housing
It is simple....

Find a job first.....
Then move, may be use extended living or home away from home for a short period of time during which you try to find a rental that suits your needs and your pocket book...

When you sign the application for lease / rent, you will allow the landlord to check your credit score,
your current employment and income, and where you if you did so rented before, they will also want
some references so be prepared for that.

landlords usually always look for a good pattern, someone who has rented before and paid on time, good credit score, and good references.

So remember first things first.... you may be lucky if you find a job with a local Chicago company, they
may assist you in the beginning with your rental, i.e. they may agree to pay your rent up to a certain amount, which then would be a nice security for the landlord.... But just find the job first, see if the company can be of assistance, and go from there.

Some renters in your situation just starting out in the job and rental market, may consider prepaying the landlord for the first 6 months, or consider renting with a room mate who has good rental and
credit history.

Sincerely yours,
Edith YourRealtor4Life & Chicago and Northern Illinois Expert

Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients, Buyers, Sellers and Investors alike....
And always with a SMILE 
Covering for @Properties the city of Chicago, all N and NW suburbs, the fine homes on the
North Shore, and many of the W and SW suburbs, and with her trusted Partner Agents all of
the US and worldwide properties. Edith speaks French, German, some Spanish and other.....
@Properties ---- EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com
Check out my website at htttp://tinyurl.com/YourRealtor4Life
HAVE THE MOST WONDERFUL DAY :)
Dear recent graduate,

As it is a landlords market, I would highly suggest you begin your job search in Chicago now. Landlords right now do not have to take the risk of someone finding a job because rentals are still hot in Chicago. Secure you job first and remember not everyone lands their first job in their exact field. Thank about what you will be good at to make a descent living.

Chicago is a great city and has so much to offer. While we have winters for those who look for things to do even in winter Chicago has lots to do.
I would like to recommend that you utilize my free website at http://www.idealhomesinchicagoland.com. You will be able to search for properties throughout Chicago and the surrounding areas. My website features up to date information, so you will not be finding homes and properties that are no longer available like on some of the realty websites that you may be using. My website also offers an array of neighborhood and market information that can help you make your determination on homes and locations. My featured partners are industry leaders that can assist you in making any realty transaction easy and transparent. I welcome you to utilize this amazing tool. As always I will be available to answer any questions that you may have.
Another agent is talking about high crime and you are from Miami? Please. I love Miami, I used to live there, but I am from Chicago. The food is better in Chicago, though I love Calle Ocho and Joe's Stone Crab. You can't beat the food and culture in Chicago. There are better financial and job opportunities in Chicago than Miami, generally speaking. As far as moving here, its not that easy to rent an apartment without a job first. And or a good Co-signor. Try to interview up here first, get a job and then move up, if that's possible.
As far as crime goes in Chicago, most of the city is very safe, don't worry about it. And don't root for the Cubs. Don't be a loser.
Not sure it is awesome unless you like lots of congestion/traffic/high taxes/crime. You also need a job to find a rental unless you have a cosigner available.
Dear alejandrah89,

I'd suggest visiting the city over as much time as you can and touring it to get a sense of the various neighborhoods to help you try to determine where you'd actually like to live. There are 77 census community areas in the city and almost as many "neighborhoods," and the neighborhoods that you like to hang out in might not be the same ones that you'd like to live in.

If you don't have the time or money to visit the city before you're actually moving, then I'd suggest checking out the Not For Tourists Guide to Chicago. It's a very good outline of the various neighborhoods and information that you might not find elsewhere.

Good luck, and let me know if I can be of further assistance.

--

Christopher Thomas
Broker Associate, Keller Williams Realty Chicago Consulting Group
716 E. 47th St. Chicago, IL 60653
(773) 770-5947 (cell) (312) 577-0985 (fax)
cthomas@kw.com
http://www.myagentchris.kwrealty.com
Deb, thank you very much! I actually would want to start by renting a place or even a room to be able to save money.
No one yet has asked the important questions. 1. If you know Chicago is awesome then I expect you may have visited at least once. 2. Are you considering renting or buying? 3. Did you have any areas in mind? 4. If you do not have a job as yet then whether buyer or renting you will need either money in the bank or a co-singer.

I work in both sales and rentals all along the lake front and into the close by suburbs. Let's talk and I can start sending your potential listings for either sales or rentals so that you can get an idea of area and prices.

Deb
773-353-9185
You'll love Chicago! I've lived here for 30 years and still loving it. Come visit check out a few neighborhoods.

Jose Hernandez
312-788-7079
One more suggestion for you. Spend some time on the Chicago Tribune web site and on DNAinfo.com to find out what is going on in the city on a daily basis. In particular find out what is going on with the city budget and crime.
Web Reference: http://LucidRealty.com
Miami to Chicago? I think you need to visit in January before making that decision. Also, check out the cost of housing here. It's high but it depends on how much you are going to be making. For instance, under 300K you are mostly going to get 1 bedrooms but there will be a few 2 bedrooms in the highly desirable areas. Monthly assessments will be at least $300/ month and property taxes will be about 1.6% of the purchase price.

Of course, you can move farther out from city center and get more for your money. Spend some time looking at what's available here and come visit in the summer and the winter. Coldest part of the winter the average high is 31 with the average low at 18 and of course there is quite a bit of variation around that. It can get as cold as 40 below with the wind chill - rare but it happens.
Web Reference: http://LucidRealty.com
Its an amazing city. You will love it. Come visit and decide which area you like best.
It is awesome. Best city to live and we have jobs here!
Web Reference: http://Www.markmalave.com