Moving in Watsonville>Question Details

Avega234, Home Buyer in Oakland, CA

Me and my gf are thinking of moving out and try to buy a mobile home. Is it possible to qualified to buy one if we both earned $25,000 per year?

Asked by Avega234, Oakland, CA Tue Jan 14, 2014

We are engaged and we live in watsonville,ca and is an affordable place to live so is it possible even we are engage not married. We have around 23,000 for down payment and extra for emergency money

Help the community by answering this question:


I would start with speaking with a loan officer to gauge your individual circumstance (credit score, debt to income ratio etc) - but definately, I've had buyers who have qualified with less income
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 19, 2014
You really should start with the park manager. You will have to fill out an application and be approved by them before you even make an offer on a manufactured home in a rental park

Be sure to have it thoroughly inspected by an experienced MH inspector and not just any home inspector as there are several nuances with MHs that you don't have in a conventional site-built home and most home inspectors not familiar with these nuances will not even know what to look for.

Make sure the inspector crawls under the home and thoroughly inspects each and every pier and pad assembly for rust, deterioration and decomposition if steel and for decomposition if concrete as homes close to the ocean can be severely impacted by salt.

They should also make sure the home is level by checking all the doors and windows to make sure that they are not swinging or sticking and that all the strike plates on the doors are properly aligned and the doors close soundly.

The inspector should also inspect the steel mainframe for rust and decomposition as well. I can't tell you how many mainframes we've had to repair that were suffering and in some cases even failing from rust and deterioration related issues.

Be sure and have the inspector check for rips and tears in the vapor barrier under the floor. If there are openings in this membrane it could allow the insulation under the floor to become compromised and even fall on the ground.

Openings in the vapor barrier are also a great place for rodents and cats to habitate and reproduce. We've eradicated countless critters from these cavities over the years and it's not a very pleasant experience.

Finally and very importantly make sure the home has a California State Housing and Community Development Department (HCD) certified earthquake resistant bracing system (ERBS) as most areas in California are classified as a Zone 4 earthquake area which holds a high probability of risk for a seismic event..

We are a California licensed and experienced manufactured home and general contractor and manufactured home dealer, developer and real estate brokerage with decades of experience in the MH industry.

Please feel free to contact us anytime at 800 909-1110; cell: 760 815-6977. Or email us at

Please feel free to log onto any of our very user friendly websites:

Also be aware that the MH is a PRE HUD, built before June 15, 1976. Mobile Homes built up to 1979 are known to have caustic (formaldehyde) and carcinogenic (asbestos) chemicals in the insulation, popcorn ceilings, acoustical tile, particle board sub floors and perhaps even countertops.
You really should start with the park manager. You will have to fill out an application and be approved by them before you even make an offer on a manufactured home in a rental park. But you should also make sure you have the home inspected by an experienced manufactured home inspector and not just any home inspector.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 19, 2014
It is possible, it depends on your credit, debt to income ratios and other factors as well. Contact me if you need help with this. I have family in Watsonville and I do business out that way.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 16, 2014
Yes it is but depends on if it is on its own land or in a park and on a foundation. You may qualify to buy a mobile/manufactured home from a minimum 660 fico score and .5% half percent down payment program on purchase on it's own land. If it is in a park there is different financing. It only takes a few dozen questions to qualify and go over your options. It will be determined by your credit profile, debt to income ratios, fico scores and how much you want to invest into the down payment and closing costs...

Sheryl Arndt, Real Estate Broker - Sr. Loan Officer CA only
REO & Short Sale Specialist
Credit Repair At No Cost
ALL Loan Programs Available
20+ Years Experience
BRE# 01140252
NMLS# 297251
9am till 7pm Monday thru Saturday, Sundays by appt.
If my response was helpful, consider clicking thumbs up or Best Answer!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 15, 2014
Hello, I would start by making an appointment with Bay Federal in either Capitola or local Watsonville Branch. Someone in the Lending Dept will sit down with you and answer all your questions and concerns in getting pre-qualified. Bay Fed will probably require a 10% down payment on a newer manufactured home. Another option is First Paciific Financial
Please let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with. You can also reach me at 831-809-2692. Good luck and hope to hear from you soon. Jorge
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 14, 2014
May be a good start.
Flag Thu Jan 16, 2014
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer