Moving in Phoenix>Question Details

Esagal88, Renter in Phoenix, AZ

Looking to move from Phoenix, AZ to Dallas, TX. How much money should I save?

Asked by Esagal88, Phoenix, AZ Sun Aug 12, 2012

I'm looking to move from Phoenix, AZ to Dallas, TX. I'm moving with my boyfriend, with just a car, our clothes, and valuables. We will be able to live with his aunt for 1-2 months. He will be working for his aunt and I will be transferring with Starbucks to Dallas.

How much money should we have saved up before we go? Thank you for your help!

0 votes Share Flag Moving in Phoenix

Answers

4
Thank you guys very much! This helped a bunch. We're not looking to live a lavish lifestyle at first. Just trying to go for a cheaper 1 bedroom apartment to start off so that we will be able to spend more on furniture and housewares. I appreciate the responses and all of your advice. :)
Contact me if you want to talk. I've helped a few people relocate. How much you save is a personal decision; but we should talk more. Do you have jobs lines up? Will you want to rent a house or an apartment? I'd plan on $3,000- $5,000... But you'll need even more if you want to move in to a rental without local, current job history..
Assuming you need to rent (it doesn't sound as though you have the money for a down payment to buy) you will need enough to pay first and last month's rent plus a security deposit for an apartment. If you show up with that much in your bank account, your aunt will be glad to know you can afford to move out within 1-2 months.

Then, don't forget that anytime you move, there are extra expenses: deposits for utilities, new phone numbers, buying food basics and household linens, housewares etc. You can buy very reasonably at Goodwill or a similar thrift store but you'll probably have to buy new linens. What about furniture? Again, second hand and garage sales will be your best bet.

You'll need to re-license your car, change car insurance, driver's licenses too and all that costs money. Check with the Texas DMV for how much, and ask your insurance company.

Put together a budget with your best estimate for all these things, then add 50%, and that's how much you need to save.

Good luck with your adventure.

Ann Griffin, Realtor
Coldwell Banker Trails and Paths
That depends on many factors. Are you planning to rent or buy when you get here? What kind of lifestyle do you want to have? If you are wanting to have a nicer home then you will need more than if you are wanting cheaper housing. There are probablly many other things that will need to be taken into account as well. It is nearly impossible to give you any kind of a dollar figure with this very limited information.